Companys from North Manchester in the 70's

moomooland ,What a fantastic picture ,Yours Barry

J & H Hinchcliffe from Bury.
VS02139.jpg

davepenn54:
2 pics of Henry Johnsons Foden S80’s from about 1976, thats me in the second pic, excuse the tat in the windows and on the cab, I was young at the time only 22, and it was the first artic I had that I could call ‘mine’. drove it regulary until about Sept; 1978. Loaded for Lowestoft in the pic with special casting’s for export.

A couple I drove for Ossie Ingham, the 142 never got painted in his colours, I pulled for OOCL/Furness Withey out of the Con Base in T/Park with it.

Regards
Dave Penn;

i used too drive that 2800 daf a283hvm for h&g haulage of wigan. it had a bad vibration once you got over 60 with it. they tryed allsorts to cure it, rebalanced the prop, wheels, changed the fly wheel & nout worked so we just let it develope until one morning i was loaded with waste paper for smith stone knights and pulling up by the gypsey camp at little lever there was a bang and the gear stick would not move properly. so i rang nick houton one of the gaffers and i limped it back to the yard. when we threw the shed over dennis the fitter said theres the problem the engines fell out!! the vibration had cracked the mountings and when i dropped a gear going up hill it just gave up. shame really it was agood truck.

twolamps:

davepenn54:
2 pics of Henry Johnsons Foden S80’s from about 1976, thats me in the second pic, excuse the tat in the windows and on the cab, I was young at the time only 22, and it was the first artic I had that I could call ‘mine’. drove it regulary until about Sept; 1978. Loaded for Lowestoft in the pic with special casting’s for export.

A couple I drove for Ossie Ingham, the 142 never got painted in his colours, I pulled for OOCL/Furness Withey out of the Con Base in T/Park with it.

Regards
Dave Penn;

i used too drive that 2800 daf a283hvm for h&g haulage of wigan. it had a bad vibration once you got over 60 with it. they tryed allsorts to cure it, rebalanced the prop, wheels, changed the fly wheel & nout worked so we just let it develope until one morning i was loaded with waste paper for smith stone knights and pulling up by the gypsey camp at little lever there was a bang and the gear stick would not move properly. so i rang nick houton one of the gaffers and i limped it back to the yard. when we threw the shed over dennis the fitter said theres the problem the engines fell out!! the vibration had cracked the mountings and when i dropped a gear going up hill it just gave up. shame really it was agood truck.

You always got the good trucks billy ha a ha. bilko

twolamps:

davepenn54:

Regards
Dave Penn;

Hi ‘twolamps’ the pic of the DAF A283 HVM was taken late 88 so it had been round the block a bit before that :laughing: :wink: It was my second stint for Ossie Inghams and and I had actually driven it when it was nearly new and was a contract motor for Cunard/ACL out of Seaforth and was liveried up in their colours. When I had it second time around it had been recabbed after being rolled at Switch Island so it’s possible that it suffered some other damage then that wasn’t put right :question: Can’t say I remember it having a vibration in 88’ although I wasn’t on that motor for long, went on to being the night man on ACL for about 6 months and then moved on.

Regards
Dave Penn;

i liked that one about the engine falling out . i had a 290 ■■■■■■■ foden in the 80s and the gaffer sent it out with a "relief " driver one sunday . when he got back he said he couldn’t get first or second gear on the way home . when the cab was up , the n/s engine mounting was snapped and the engine was resting on the chassis , fan, fan belts and radiator all knackered and smoke pouring out of the clutch . gearstick was jammed against the engine cover , no wonder he couldn’t get first and second gears . i don’t think he was asked to help out again !! , cheers ,dave

moomooland:

Any idea where this was taken,i vaguely remember their 6 wheeler ergo cabbed Retriever has anyone got any photos of Trinity paper mill at the bottom of Peel Brow in Ramsbottom ,there were some great motors in there in the `70s

Is this the place ramone?

Just bringing this thread back into circulation.Found this on flickr.Barretts Seddon

Richardsons garage on Wellyhole Street Oldham.

Photobucket killed this post :frowning:

moomooland:

davepenn54:
Hi ‘twolamps’ the pic of the DAF A283 HVM was taken late 88 so it had been round the block a bit before that :laughing: :wink: It was my second stint for Ossie Inghams and and I had actually driven it when it was nearly new and was a contract motor for Cunard/ACL out of Seaforth and was liveried up in their colours. When I had it second time around it had been recabbed after being rolled at Switch Island so it’s possible that it suffered some other damage then that wasn’t put right :question: Can’t say I remember it having a vibration in 88’ although I wasn’t on that motor for long, went on to being the night man on ACL for about 6 months and then moved on.

Regards
Dave Penn;

Hi Dave,
Heres a nice shot of A283 HVM

Thanks Paul :smiley: Great pic mate.

Regards
Dave Penn;

Does anyone know the approximate year that Hipwood and Grundy finished and what happened to them, were they taken over or did they just close the doors ?

JohnyRose63:
anyone remember the company preistners red erfs think they was from eccles . not sure tho. my dad use to run iff containers in there in the early 70s on nights from hull. any one got any pictures ov them. regards johny rose63.

I think you will find Preistners were from Carrington,although I could be mistaken!

David :laughing:

moomooland:

Chris Webb:
There used to be a trailer builder in Oldham or in that area? called Buckstone Motor Bodies,they built a lot of fridges and I went there a couple of times to pick one up for Glass Glover Distribution.Anybody remember them,it might have been Chadderton come to think of it :unamused:

Buckstone Motor Bodies are still on the go :slight_smile:

Buckstone Motor Bodies Ltd
Trent Mill Industrial Estate,
Duchess Street,
Shaw,
OLDHAM OL2 7UT Website

The trailer company i think you are referring to is Boden Trailers ( later to become Crane Fruehauf) who were based next to the Seddon Atkinson factory at Higginshaw

Regards Paul

Buckstones used to be on Spencer Street in Chadderton, where they have built the new houses, think it was late 90’s they moved and stopped doing the larger stuff.

B1 GGK:

moomooland:

Chris Webb:
There used to be a trailer builder in Oldham or in that area? called Buckstone Motor Bodies,they built a lot of fridges and I went there a couple of times to pick one up for Glass Glover Distribution.Anybody remember them,it might have been Chadderton come to think of it :unamused:

Buckstone Motor Bodies are still on the go :slight_smile:

Buckstone Motor Bodies Ltd
Trent Mill Industrial Estate,
Duchess Street,
Shaw,
OLDHAM OL2 7UT Website

The trailer company i think you are referring to is Boden Trailers ( later to become Crane Fruehauf) who were based next to the Seddon Atkinson factory at Higginshaw

Regards Paul

Buckstones used to be on Spencer Street in Chadderton, where they have built the new houses, think it was late 90’s they moved and stopped doing the larger stuff.

I remember the serial numbers were prefixed BMB and how heavy they were,especially the tri-axles. A bit too narrow as well,you couldn’t get two GKN blues wide ways across,you had to cross 'em.Apart from that they were good runners and no fridge problems.

boden:
Jameson Europa Heywood
Geoffrey reyner moved from Droylsden to Earl Mill, Dowry St Hathershaw … i drove for them before I moved to Canada

David Hall Bury

H&A Pate Bury

Howarth & Wilson Bury

Sheldon Bury

Fred Smith &Sons Bury (still going)

Geofffrey Reyner Droylsden

B&R Hauliers Salford

Parkers Bolton

Nuttalls Heywood

Nuttalls Clifton

Richard Nuttall Edenfield

F.Stringfellow Shuttleworth

■■? Burton Middleton (Tippers)

I think the wagon in front of ELK Mill is actually a Leyland

dafdave:
I remember h&g well.Untill i retired 8yrs ago the firm i worked for had their base in hippys old yard.They ran dry freight and tankers,mostly green scanias but some of the old 8 wheeler tankers were old aec,s.They got rid of the dry freight in the 80,s[i think]and the tankers moved to stanlow,dont kno[w what happened after that.Their yard used to be in old hall st farnworth opp the clock face pub [nr.bolton].My old com.now has its own yard and hippys has been developed and houses built.
regards dave.

Does anyone remember W.Watson ( group transport ) Ltd & Machins Transport ( Surfleet,Spalding ) ?. Both were based at what is now known as Victoria Trading Estate, Drury Lane, Hollinwood. They were both there in the early 70’s, Watsons ran a fleet of crappy Austins & BMC’s & Machins ran a fleet of AEC Mandators & Mercury’s. Some pics would be nice if anyone has any.

mushroomman:
Hello Jack, I didn’t realise that you were Big J Guy, we did meet on a couple of occasions but I dont expect you to remember them as the last time was in 1975, I obviously got one or two things wrong there so thanks for putting me right.
I think that it was Derick and Doreen Cotter ? who had The Farewell at the time and The Dog Inn on Dog Lane Chadderton was another drivers pub. Do you remember when Terry Maise and Johnny Anker had the accident while working for Scott’s ?.

What a brilliant website that one of Scott’s is :smiley: , you know the vehicles with Luxan on them, did that company become Vita Luxan at Milnrow ?.
As regards the Oldham and District H.G.V. Drivers Benefit Association you must of helped dozens of drivers who were really down on their luck at the time, so well done to you Jack.
It’s a long shot, but do you ever remember two Blue Dart drivers who were trying to go overland to Cape Town , South Africa ?.
Roy Harris and Terry asked Greens Tarpaulins if they would donate a sheet with the words Donated by Oldham Heavy Goods Vehicle Drivers Benefit Association on the side. Greens gave them the sheet big enough for a land Rover roof rack but they said that there was not enough room to do the writing :laughing:
Anyway it’s good to hear from you Jack so take care.

Best regards Steve.

Here are another couple of photo’s sent to me by John Harrison of old companies from the area. I know that they are from the 80’s and not the 70’s but I hope that Dave Penn doesn’t mind :wink: .

If I remember right … the Harris Distribution Volvo fl6 truck ( D726 PVU ) pictured was converted into a flatbed & went carrying steel for Malcolm Clarke ( steels ) Hollinwood, I know this because I drove for Clarkes for almost 10 years & drove the very same truck quite a few times.

moomooland:
This picture is a bit of a mystery and i would appreciate any help that anyone could give me as to the identity of the company.
As you can see it is C & H and Sons Haulage but that’s all i can make out as the cab door is unreadable.
The picture was taken at Salford Docks and the trailer is loaded with pulp paper.

You can view the image full size on the Northwest Trucks web site.

Thanks Paul Anderson

G & H Guiney of Chadderton ran trucks in these colours & did lots of dockwork, they mainly ran Bedford TK artics, they had a couple of other trucks too, not sure what they were though… this could be one of them, but not 100% sure.