Transport companies from North West of England old and new

Just found this thread on Facebook recently,very interesting.Well worth a look guys,we might even get some to contribute on here. :slight_smile:

Fred Rose, based in Blackrod , to get the ball rolling. This must qualify as and old ( albeit defunct ) N.W. transport company. I haven’t seen the name mentioned anywhere else on this forum. They ran a fair sized fleet of mainly KV cabbed ERF 8 leggers until the early 60s. They did quite a bit of work out of Cooke and Nuttall’s paper mill at Horwich. I was only a kid at the time and didn’t have a camera. This is the only photo I have of one of their motors. Borrowed from the Internet. It’s a photo of the loco rather than one of the truck. Eddie.

Okay, well, seeing as Fred Rose went over like a lead balloon, let’s try another obscure outfit that nobody remembers. They were based in Salford, Albion St. to be precise. On the site of the Albion pub to be specific. Directly opposite the gas works to be…oh ffs, let’s move on. I’m going back to 1970 or thereabouts. The company was, wait for it, wait for it, Wrights transport. Half a dozen A.E.C.s, the most modern being a Park Royal Mandator. Painted sort of R.A.F. Blue. All tippers. No sign writing. Mostly scrap metal from around Manchester, stone from Topley Pike, lime slurry out of Shell Carrington, although we did a bit of distance work as well. I’ll lay odds there’s less response to this post than there was to the previous one. No photos unfortunately. Eddie.

Springfield Haulage were on Hope Street, round the corner from the Albion pub, black motors. Thomas Brierley were down the side of the Royal Oak pub in Swinton. Austin Caulfield, green and white, on Station Approach at Irlam then moved on to the Northbank Estate. Aidleys of Urmston on Westbrook Road, Trafford Park, the transport manager John was short tempered. George Redfern, 4 wheel rigid flat and curtainsiders, at the side of the Manchester-Southport railway line at Walkden. Bergen Transport doing containers on Mellors Road in Trafford Park and Allens Transport were on Westinghouse Road near Freightliner. Smiths of Eccles on Taylor Road, taken over by Harris Road Services from Northwich then swallowed up into TDG.

beanie:
Springfield Haulage were on Hope Street, round the corner from the Albion pub, black motors. Thomas Brierley were down the side of the Royal Oak pub in Swinton. Austin Caulfield, green and white, on Station Approach at Irlam then moved on to the Northbank Estate. Aidleys of Urmston on Westbrook Road, Trafford Park, the transport manager John was short tempered. George Redfern, 4 wheel rigid flat and curtainsiders, at the side of the Manchester-Southport railway line at Walkden. Bergen Transport doing containers on Mellors Road in Trafford Park and Allens Transport were on Westinghouse Road near Freightliner. Smiths of Eccles on Taylor Road, taken over by Harris Road Services from Northwich then swallowed up into TDG.

Allens transport , That’s A blast from the past I used to back load from them years ago, It was allways a load of Jam from Duerrs They had a factory on Floats Rd IIRC, Also Smiths of Eccles I had many a load from them usually tea for the Co-op in Newcastle, The good old days when I enjoyed being a long distance driver & finding return loads & got well paid for my efforts, With a lot less hassle & agro that present day drivers get, Regards Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:

beanie:

Allens transport , That’s A blast from the past I used to back load from them years ago, It was allways a load of Jam from Duerrs They had a factory on Floats Rd IIRC, Also Smiths of Eccles I had many a load from them usually tea for the Co-op in Newcastle, The good old days when I enjoyed being a long distance driver & finding return loads & got well paid for my efforts, With a lot less hassle & agro that present day drivers get, Regards Larry.

And I just bet that you didn’t gan short of Tea or Jam at your house during those years Larry ! Cheers Dennis. :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

Bewick:

Lawrence Dunbar:

beanie:

And I just bet that you didn’t gan short of Tea or Jam at your house during those years Larry ! Cheers Dennis. :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

Dennis my good friend,You should have been a detective, Eh, Ha Ha , But having said this my lips are sealed only to be opened when there is some Malts about, Regards Larry.

Duerrs were one of our regular customers- I didn’t see so much as a jar of marmalade when I collected from them!

That short tempered transport manager of Aidley’s that you mentioned beanie, did he have a bike? He must have got around a bit, as I’m sure I’ve come across him at a few places that I’ve worked. Eddie.

Eddie Heaton

When I was yard lad at PDM 1974/75 at Bury the yard foreman was Jimmy Duerden who had worked for Fred Rose and later Suttons, he had plenty of tales to tell from his time at Rose’s,he said he thought buying around 10 or 12 eight leggers at the same time caused them to finish. Other drivers I worked with there had come from Ancliffe’s ,Geoff.Reyner, Humbers, Hipwood and Grundy, Blue Dart and BRS and no doubt many others. Dewsbury Haulage from Bury and Lindleys from Nuneaton eventually did the bulk work . After a stint elsewhere I went back 1978/82 as a driver before getting the hard words, they were mainly a good bunch to work with. It all went away bit by bit when PDM bought Granox at Widnes in 1980.

Thanks for that Boden. I would only have been about 13 or 14 when I used to hang about round Fred Rose’s garage. I don’t remember a Jimmy Duerden, in fact most of the blokes seemed to be called Harry. The only driver who’s name I remember was Arthur Rylance. His nickname was ’ chewy ’ and he stayed local. His mate was a big lad called Dave ?, he was nicknamed ’ Cheyenne ', after the t.v. character of that name. He went driving the roadtrains in Oz I believe.

I used to ride from my house to Blackrod on the pushbike every Saturday. A round trip of about 20 miles. The fitters would give me odd jobs, like cracking wheel nuts or cleaning the pit or running errands. My reward was to be allowed to sit in the cabs of the E.R.Fs. This was my introduction to the world of road haulage.

Fred Rose folded in the early 60s. Possibly 63 or 64. A transport company from Manchester by the name of Dean’s, I think, moved onto their premises. I believe there’s a care home on the site now.

As an aside, among the mountain of paraphernalia that I have accumulated over my lifetime, attached to my back gate, I have a cast aluminium trailer plate bearing your user name. It would look nice as your avatar. Cheers. Eddie.

Eddie. The transport manager John at Aidleys name was either Seddon or Atkinson. According to the old man, John had previously been at another North West haulage company, Priestners, red wagons from Carrington. Don’t know about a bike!
I did 14 weeks at Bergen on Mellors Road in 2007 driving a T plate FH12 low roof cab, a proper haulage company. The interview went something along the lines of “can you drive in a straight line, nights out it’s five or nothing I’ll do two or three no you’re on days, start Monday and we’ll find a motor for ya”. Load a twenty foot box out of Freightliner at tea time for a 9.00 am Sport Direct at Mansfield and book a night out even though you didn’t leave Trafford Park until 7.00. Massive learning curve!

?

Sorry beanie, just having a bit of fun there mate. I never actually knew the T.M. from Aidley’s. It’s just that most of the T.Ms at most of the places that I worked were miserable gits. Maybe it was the pressure of the job, or could it be that I brought out the worst in them ?. The only Manchester firm that I ever worked for, apart from a bit of subbying out of Allens , was Wrights in Albion St. and I was only there for a few months. That experience could be described as a learning curve as well. I got nicked for black smoke half an hour after starting on the first day. There were more characters at that place than there are in the Chinese alphabet. Still, happy days eh? Go steady mate. All the best. Eddie.

john atki used to call him beaky like you said worked for the big p before aidleys he ran the warehouses at dunham and barton

Im looking for pictures or information regarding Thorntons transport in st helens around 1981.Max and david and aurthur ran 2 volvo f88 tractor units in yellow livery.They hauled out of vinyl products at warrington and carshalton.