St helens firms

Larry:
I worked as a driver for Rockware glass from 1974 until their closure in 1980/82

Hi Larry, Long Shot but u avin worked at Rockware, I worked for a Firm called [NMT] Trans Storage Kilbuck lane Haydock, used to do a lot af glassware [Rockware/United Glass] St helens, NMT owned all the W/houses on the Kilbuck Lane Site then early 70s do u or anyone remember NMT? av asked b4 on er but no joy Cheers Chris.

Hi Can anyone help with any photos St Helens haulage firms from the 60/70s

Some of Fred Davies’ who I was a second man for, then driver from 61 'til 1970.

renown… Is this one any use to you, from Ashton in Makerfield I think.

Hi Many thanks for the postings .

My late father once drove for Collins transport in Pocket ■■■■ St.Helens in the 60s.

Would be great to see any shots of Joseph Pickavance,Heatons or Fibreglass transport,any with DJ prefix reg

TIPIT:
renown… Is this one any use to you, from Ashton in Makerfield I think.

I remember this firm having a nice Atkinson Venturer with a low-loader - the wagon is still at work with Carter’s Steam Fair of Maidenhead.

regarding the st helens firms the main one was and still is Sutton,s is it not i remember when the old eight wheeler and drag ran into the sunset cafe in Penkridge a wooden hut at the time then it was completly rebuilt as one of the first proper truck cafes with the bar upstairs and something like decent accomodation for truckers,got lots of pics but not any of Sutties as not long after i went on Petrol tankers and had a good 38 years on them retiring in 2007

Suttons are based in Widnes now - Elton Head Rd is now rented out as storage units.

suttons are still in st helens only a few ware houses are rented out they got rid of there general haulage side because of crap rates but keeped st helens open for storage they still have tankers running in and out of there and all the warehouse staff and most of the office staff are still there

hi mate gaskells still running out of ashton-in-makerfield i seen a split windscreen hi-ab rigid the other day c reg 1983 i think .i will try to get a pic if i see it again.i think they still have a few tippers. :smiley:

I worked as a driver for Rockware glass from 1974 until their closure in 1980/82

what wuz your Dads name as my Dad worked there in 1968 to 1974, he started as a second man there then drove for Hugh Collins till 1974 when he started at Coxhead Bros of Boundary Road.