metal box

hi anyone got pics memories of loading unloading at there places my old man drove for them at strood kent thanks

Hiya in the 80’s i worked out of stoke st Clayton and regent road manchester that was composite cans,
Clapton mostly paint tins…palmers green brake fluid and wood stain oval tins…somptin, aerosol nozzels.
great cambrige steet, nr blackfriares bridge cheque books… carlisle cans.that was for Coopers of Bollington.
i did a few loads in and out of hailwood in the 70’s, i did tinplate into leicester from winsford that would also
be in the 70’s. that was when i was doing general haulage with flat trailers for harrisons of milton.
John

When I was on Brady’s Octopus and trailer in the 60’s our regular back loads out of South Wales was tin plate out of MB Neath or Velindre or Trostre works.We delivered to mainly MB at Breeze Lane, Aintree and MB West Houghton and occaisionally to James St. and Botcherby in Carlise.They were great loads,low and heavy and similar to the loads of Signode strapping we delivered into S. Wales from Barrow Steel Works. Great days never to return !! Cheers Bewick.

I worked ‘on the tools’ @ Metal Box Aintree & both Heysham Rd (can manufacturing) & up the footpath to the Park Lane (tinplate printing) factory as well when required, this was between 1973 & 77.

Ross.

Didn’t they have a place in wisbech there was an owner driver who lived near me at the time And I’m sure he use to work out of metal box wisbech he had a Realy smart Volvo f10 used to win a lot at truckfest in the late 80’s sure his name was b Jackson. Didn’t realize they was that big and had places all over

When I drove for Smiles for Miles I quite often back loaded off Gwyn Bowen, from Bryn Gwyn Mill & deliver to MB Co Westhoughton in 50/60s, The last time I was in Westhoughton Pinnacle Warehousing had the old MB Premises, I think Pinnacle was the original Liverpool Warehousing Co From Trafford Park, ? the tin plate was a good load easy to sheet & secure, the good old days Eh, the last MB I delivered to was James St, Carlisle & that load was from Tyneside Tinprinters Fawdon, My youngest son Nigel still does the job to this day, Regards Larry. PS In a curtainsider of course.

Used to load out of their depot in Acton in the early 70’s. Pallets of cans double stacked and one pallet of lids. Usually had to turn the sheets round the other way to cover the load plus corner boards. Then invariably a wagon would turn up with a curtainsider and would get loaded and away in minutes…me still on top of the load draping the sheets over the sides and at the mercy of the fork-lift driver to give me a lift down! GRRRRR!!! :angry: :laughing:

I used to drive past their depot at the side of the M1 near Barnsley, every day in the late seventies-early eighties, the building later became Bakelite xylonite, then something else, dont know what it is now… I’m pretty sure they had a few pictures in a Leyland Buffalo brochure…
Jerry

my old man drove a buffalo for them out of strood did they used to run seddons aswell

METAL BOX (canalside neath) NEATH.

Metal Box, pallets from neath, for MB Wisbech. Leyland Mararothon2, 250 ■■■■■■■■

Bewick:
When I was on Brady’s Octopus and trailer in the 60’s our regular back loads out of South Wales was tin plate out of MB Neath or Velindre or Trostre works.We delivered to mainly MB at Breeze Lane, Aintree and MB West Houghton and occaisionally to James St. and Botcherby in Carlise.They were great loads,low and heavy and similar to the loads of Signode strapping we delivered into S. Wales from Barrow Steel Works. Great days never to return !! Cheers Bewick.

Aye dennis i did similar work in the 70s when i worked for sheldons[bury]troste,velindre were ok but did you ever load ex ebbw vale?what a dump i was in there 14hrs once waiting to load for westhoughton.When you went there you never knew when you were getting out.
regards dave.

dafdave:

Bewick:

Aye dennis i did similar work in the 70s when i worked for sheldons[bury]troste,velindre were ok but did you ever load ex ebbw vale?what a dump i was in there 14hrs once waiting to load for westhoughton.When you went there you never knew when you were getting out.
regards dave.

No we never got into Ebbw Vale,Gwynne Bowen invariably loaded us from their customers.We were very regular visitors to The Abbey with steel from Barrow and Jack Reece,Bowens traffic manager, very seldom failed to have 20ton of tin plate up his sleeve waiting for us !! Cheers Dennis.

kentboy:
my old man drove a buffalo for them out of strood did they used to run seddons aswell

hiya i spotted this one at christmas, its been cut up since, at least i got a photo

John

3300John:

kentboy:

hiya i spotted this one at christmas, its been cut up since, at least i got a photo

John

thqnks mate

daibootsy:
Metal Box, pallets from neath, for MB Wisbech. Leyland Mararothon2, 250 ■■■■■■■■

have you got any more pics mate

HERE MORE METALBOX NEATH

MB FODENS

LEYLAND MARATHON.

I was a driver for Illtyd Thomas & Sons, Swansea, they had contracts for MetalBox.
there are some pics on scrap book memories. have to have a look for more. hope these are an intrest.