Class 2 Vs Class 1

You’ve overegged the troll pudding with this one UKtramp.

I thoroughly enjoyed the years i spent driving Rolonoff rigids on tip work, paid as well as the artic work where i was and home every night, i’d quite happily go back to such work if my present number vanished.

Never once have i come across the attitude you describe…
no actually i tell you a lie, back around 1973 and a mere 18 year old i was driving a ■■■■■■ van and had a delivery of chemicals to a nice little agricultural merchants, which is still there, at Wisbech.
A Ford D series artic with low loader trailer turned up, and the driver told me i’d have to shift me van cos, and i quote as it’s still there in memory as statement from prize ■■■■, ‘‘i’d hate to hit that little van and flatten it’’…i thanked him for the warning about his driving competence and did indeed shift the van, not sure if he was sharp enough to realise what i’d said mind, if you recall The Parable of the Sower ‘‘and some fell on stony ground’’? :unamused: i suspect my comment did indeed fall on unfertile ground.

That’s brought back some memories too, back driving ■■■■■■ vans.
That same van i used to leave my house at Welwyn between 1am and 2am and no M25 of course wend my way down via Rickmansworth, Denham, Slough, Windsor, to the A30 and then brach onto the A303 for the run down to Exeter for my delivery.
I’d do this run at least once a week and sometimes twice a week, the van was signwritten old school.

Well in those days night trunking lorries were few and far between, but the original Wincanton Transport were one such company, when they passed each other going the other way they would give one flash of the RH indicator as hello acknowledgment.
My van mush have stuck in their mind because after a few weeks they would also acknowledge my mere little van with the single indicator flash, which i obviously answered.

Which only goes to show, that any sort of pseudo hierarchy which drivers of artics might feel, is contained within the tortured mind of the sort of people who have far too big an opinion of themselves.

As for me, i’m only too pleased to see someone driving any vehicle of any size or configuration who can actually drive for toffee.

After driving trucks since 1975 I don’t give a toss what I drive, I care about how much money I earn. When I worked in my last UK job I drove a Scania rigid, most of the time I pulled a 30 foot hospitality unit behind it but when just the lorry only I didn’t care, the driving was easier and I got exactly the same pay.

Juddian both you and the snowman have seen through this post ( no surprises there) but there is actually an element of truth in this post with some drivers attitudes, personally if I had to pay for my licence I would stop and drive at class C as there is probably as much money driving class C as there is in C+E, I was talking to a class C driver the other day who had a class C+E licence and we got talking about wages etc, his rate turned out to be 10p an hour less than mine. I was just playing with this post but I am sure there are class C drivers who think they may be better off with a class C+E licence. I am not convinced that you actually are other than there are more jobs for C+E in my area.

I’d have to disagree that driving standards get better as you ‘move up the classes’. What you are witnessing are the consequences of having too many people with the skills and mindset only suited to factory, heavy industry or mining work (of which there is very little left) being ‘conned’ into the driving industry on promises of easy work for big money, only to find its mostly long hours with crap pay and working conditions. Some may think that it’ll improve with a class 1 but the reality is normally the same just with a bigger lorry. This combined with the modern day self entitled attitude and the results are the wacky races driving standards that we have now.

McGurke:
I’d have to disagree that driving standards get better as you ‘move up the classes’. What you are witnessing are the consequences of having too many people with the skills and mindset only suited to factory, heavy industry or mining work (of which there is very little left) being ‘conned’ into the driving industry on promises of easy work for big money, only to find its mostly long hours with crap pay and working conditions. Some may think that it’ll improve with a class 1 but the reality is normally the same just with a bigger lorry. This combined with the modern day self entitled attitude and the results are the wacky races driving standards that we have now.

Certainly some correct comments there alright.

McGurke:

Indeed, very on the money, or rather the promises of the money.

UKtramp:
I suppose it’s time for another debatable subject. Honest replies are always good and not what you think others want to hear. I will start of with MY honest opinion and see who agrees or disagrees. So as a class 1 tramper I drive the length of the country as most others do. I see frequently class 2 drivers who have not got a clue about driving HGV. Same could be said for a number of class 1 drivers too. However my point is that I am constantly been cut up and silly class 2 drivers driving their vehicles like a car. When pulling in to any stops where we either require a load or unload or even a break. I look upon most class 2 drivers with the same contempt I have for car drivers. I honestly always feel more superior than a class 2 driver even though I once only held a class 2 licence. I would like to know others opinions on this and also do any class 2 drivers feel inferior to a class 1 driver? I believe they do feel a little intimidated from what my own experiences are. When I say intimidated I really mean is there a bit of I wished I held a class 1 licence?

Ok drive. My honest reply is that I think you have some issues in your small life eh?

Wtf does it matter who’s driving what, as long as it’s being driven safely.

I drive class 2 because I don’t have a class one ticket. That is my choice. Due to the nature of some of our delivery points and our load and unload procedures, I’m more than happy with a 26 ton rigid.

My bosses have offered on numerous occasions to put me through to class one. I’m genuinely not interested.

Ive always earned a decent wedge on a rigid ticket and I can assure you that I’m on a lot more than many a class one driver, and I’m perfectly happy with my lot.

I get even happier, when my supervisor asks me to take our 3.5 ton van out for a day. I’ve got no tacho worries, I can press on within the law, ( and respect for my other road users around me), I get back to the yard, do a manual entry and happy days.

Oh, tell me this too, why do some, note u said some class ones see fit to sit right on my bumper, regardless of whether I’m driving a van, a rigid or my Mondeo.
In fact, one day when this happens, and I’ve got time to play with, I’m going to pretend to break down at the lights and watch the bumper numpty struggle to get around me!
I was taught to keep a gap in stationery traffic, just in case the guy in front breaks down, then you have room to get around .

So, you asked for an honest response… Will this one do??

I bet now you think you’ve successfully trolled the thread?
Get a life please!!!

UKtramp:
I suppose it’s time for another debatable subject. Honest replies are always good and not what you think others want to hear. I will start of with MY honest opinion and see who agrees or disagrees. So as a class 1 tramper I drive the length of the country as most others do. I see frequently class 2 drivers who have not got a clue about driving HGV. Same could be said for a number of class 1 drivers too. However my point is that I am constantly been cut up and silly class 2 drivers driving their vehicles like a car. When pulling in to any stops where we either require a load or unload or even a break. I look upon most class 2 drivers with the same contempt I have for car drivers. I honestly always feel more superior than a class 2 driver even though I once only held a class 2 licence. I would like to know others opinions on this and also do any class 2 drivers feel inferior to a class 1 driver? I believe they do feel a little intimidated from what my own experiences are. When I say intimidated I really mean is there a bit of I wished I held a class 1 licence?

Please get over yourself,we are all drivers.

UKtramp:

I look down on these class one tramps with the 16.5 m long rig when I go by in my rigid and trailer at some 2.25 m longer :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I share your angst in part,UKTramp,although I have never felt superior to anyone driving a difficult class vehicle.The only rigids I ever drove had an A frame drawbar hanging off the end.

Punchy Dan:

UKtramp:

I look down on these class one tramps with the 16.5 m long rig when I go by in my rigid and trailer at some 2.25 m longer :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Ha ha…

Oh, and anyone driving ANY type of vehicle which pulls out from behind me and clearly wants to pass me, I will happily ease off for them!

kr79:
I feel the same about container drivers.[container drivers feel the same about you]

Butcher:
I drive class 2 because I don’t have a class one ticket. That is my choice. Due to the nature of some of our delivery points and our load and unload procedures, I’m more than happy with a 26 ton rigid.
My bosses have offered on numerous occasions to put me through to class one. I’m genuinely not interested.
Ive always earned a decent wedge on a rigid ticket and I can assure you that I’m on a lot more than many a class one driver, and I’m perfectly happy with my lot.

That’s really all you needed to say, I edited it for you, there was no real need for the other insults. You sound much more sensible with the above reply.

AND YOU CALL ME A TROLL

UKtramp:
I suppose it’s time for another debatable subject. Honest replies are always good and not what you think others want to hear. I will start of with MY honest opinion and see who agrees or disagrees. So as a class 1 tramper I drive the length of the country as most others do. I see frequently class 2 drivers who have not got a clue about driving HGV. Same could be said for a number of class 1 drivers too. However my point is that I am constantly been cut up and silly class 2 drivers driving their vehicles like a car. When pulling in to any stops where we either require a load or unload or even a break. I look upon most class 2 drivers with the same contempt I have for car drivers. I honestly always feel more superior than a class 2 driver even though I once only held a class 2 licence. I would like to know others opinions on this and also do any class 2 drivers feel inferior to a class 1 drive
? I believe they do feel a little intimidated from what my own experiences are. When I say intimidated I really mean is there a bit of I wished I held a class 1 licence?

This guy is a troll big time
On a post here he never heard of a Renault Magnum and also did not know anything a few other things
Nothing surer

I dont post often, but here is my 2penny worth. In my short experience of driving, both classes 1 and 2 have to adhere to the same rules and regs. Both have a right to b on the road and as well as anybody else, so please tell me exactly what you are trying to achieve whth this stupid post. At the end of the day, we are trying to make an honest living and provide for our families. So do me a favour, stop trying to bash us class 2 drivers down.

theflyingdustman:
I dont post often, but here is my 2penny worth. In my short experience of driving, both classes 1 and 2 have to adhere to the same rules and regs. Both have a right to b on the road and as well as anybody else, so please tell me exactly what you are trying to achieve whth this stupid post. At the end of the day, we are trying to make an honest living and provide for our families. So do me a favour, stop trying to bash us class 2 drivers down.

Stop whining and at least have a say in what you have to say on the subject rather than saying your silly please to me to stop bashing idiots in trucks who shouldn’t be let loose in a car let alone in a truck there are other ways of providing for your family other than driving a lorry. If you have nothing further to say I will bid you a good evening. Oh and for the record you say stop trying to bash us class 2 drivers down? Your opening statement says you drive class 1 and 2 so if you had a class 1 licence you wouldn’t be saying us class 2 drivers would you now. ■■■■■■ amateur.

honest opinion,who the hell cares,we are all drivers irrelevant of what we drive,i am class 1 with 28 yrs under my belt,i don’t and never will feel superior to class 2 drivers,we all put up with the same crap all day every day.

Oh dear, u avnt read my post properly. I didnt say i have class 1, i said both have 2 adhere to the same rules and regs. Just 1 question for u trampy, how do u think ur rubbish and recycling gets picked up ?