HGV Class 1 versus Class 2

Hi everyone,

Please could someone tell me the advantages of class 2 jobs over class 1? On the face of it the class 1 jobs pay about £10K extra which is a fair chunk of change? If that’s right I’m just curious why someone would choose a class 2 job over a class 1 - is the lifestyle / rota normally better?

Thanks,

Mr N

Not sure they pay that much more in a lot of cases and some class 2 jobs actually pay more than std class 1.

Having asked a number of people this question however, for a lot they are happy with their job and often had the training paid for but boss wouldnt pay for class 1. £1000 is a lot of money to pay out your own pocket if you’d need to change jobs after.

Others just dont want the hassle of a bigger truck, or doing trunking work which might be boring, obviously depending on what the job is. Also more chance of tramping on class 1.

Not scientific but thats just the few I talked to.

I’ve been a class 2 license holder for 6 years, I’ve never felt the need to upgrade my license to play with the big boys toys. I earn fair wedge for my efforts, certainly more than some class 1 drivers I see around and on here. Also I’ve never done a night out, nor have I worked a weekend, but that has little to do with the type of license I hold and much more to do with the sectors I have worked in.

I certainly don’t subscribe to feeling the need to drive a class 1, I don’t feel my job is under threat from automation anytime soon either.

Thanks guys, much appreciated.

The class 2 Lads at our place earn exactly the same as us class 1 drivers and they are parked up going home at 18:00 where as us class 1 are there until 19:00/19:30 most nights. And I personally think they do deserve the same as us becouse the work they do is honestly a bit harder than ours.

Think of it like this; Class 1=Premiership. Class 2=Non league football.

eagerbeaver:
Think of it like this; Class 1=Premiership. Class 2=Non league football.

Or put another way class 1 pre maddonas class 2 sound working folk :grimacing:

F-reds:
I’ve been a class 2 license holder for 6 years, I’ve never felt the need to upgrade my license to play with the big boys toys. I earn fair wedge for my efforts, certainly more than some class 1 drivers I see around and on here. Also I’ve never done a night out, nor have I worked a weekend, but that has little to do with the type of license I hold and much more to do with the sectors I have worked in.

I certainly don’t subscribe to feeling the need to drive a class 1, I don’t feel my job is under threat from automation anytime soon either.

+1 my man :smiley:

blue estate:

F-reds:

What would you know, you’re almost from Portsmouth! :open_mouth:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Evil8Beezle:

blue estate:

F-reds:

What would you know, you’re almost from Portsmouth! :open_mouth:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Nope I was born in Dorking Surrey [emoji6] only lived in gosport 9 years

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

blue estate:
Nope I was born in Dorking Surrey [emoji6] only lived in gosport 9 years

Is that meant to sound better? :open_mouth:

1, You’re from Dorking!
2, You CHOSE to live near Pompey! :laughing:

At least those further along the coast in Brighton are openly gay! :wink:

Holy ■■■■ Beaver I don’t even think I’m Non-League :blush:

Lol. Every team needs a ■■■■■■ substitute F-reds!

eagerbeaver:
Lol. Every team needs a ■■■■■■ substitute F-reds!

You don’t know just how close to mark you are with that mate! Taken all weekend to get over the 5 a side game played on Saturday, and the night out clubbing after :laughing:

Ive been driving class 1 for almost 13 years, boss asked me to do a week to cover for holidays for a class 2 driver. I can honestly say you class 2 boys have a lot more respect from use “bigger” boys then you think. I could not reverse the thing, I got stuck alot more then i would have in my artic, you guys are doing the gods work.

PS, yes i put the wrong lock on all the time in the car with the family. Habit. Artics seem more natural to me.

But there was a time moons ago, around 2007 when Class 1 wages was only £1 more then class 2, I always thought to myself, “Why am I ■■■■■■■ about with trailor swaps for £1 more an hour?!”