Class 1 vs Class 2

Right folks. It’s about time we nailed this subject once and for all.

Do your class 2 and become a truck driver…or are you? In my view you are ‘almost’ one. Let’s face it, buy a child at Christmas a toy artic and a toy rigid, and we all know which one gets thrown in the bin with the sprouts.

(and don’t get giddy if yours is a 26t or a tipper, it’s still rubbish)

My aim is to drive the smallest possible vehicle for the most possible money.

If I was still a driver I would prefer artic. More challenge, more interesting. But if I could earn 50p an hour more driving a Transit you can forget the artic. Most folks go to work to earn cash to look after their family and themselves - so “mine’s bigger than yours” is no issue in my book.

I know this isn’t a serious thread (or I don’t think it is!) but that’s my two pennyworth.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Its all about pay and Ts&Cs, I’d drive a mini, if it filled my bank each month, I don’t care if the Beaver’s ■■■■ is bigger :wink:

jonnyboat:
My aim is to drive the smallest possible vehicle for the most possible money.

+1

+1

Couldn’t give a fig one way or the other TBH. I know that I get paid rather more per hour than the majority of Class 1 drivers on here, and I also do fewer hours than the vast majority of those who post on this forum appear to do. Used to get paid exactly the same (and do the same number of hours) on Class 1 as I do now on Class 2 and the work’s the same too. Main difference for me is that I don’t have to share “my” lorry with various night drivers (and hang around in the morning waiting for said night drivers to get back to base so I can crack on with my day’s work).

This thread reminds me of that two ronnies sketch:
“I look down on him because he drives a class 2”
“and I look down on him because he drives a 7 and a half tonner”.

It’s all irrelevant. When i’m in a 26 tonner I don’t look down at someone in an 18 tonner,and when i’m in a 32 tonner I don’t look down on someone in a 26 tonner. And I don’t look up at artic drivers and think “what a demi-god”. We’re all people going about our daily lives to put grub on the table,and if we’re lucky,a few of life’s luxuries :smiley:

But when you drive a rigid you look…erm…‘incomplete’.

Sort of like a McDonald’s employee with one of those badges you put stars on.

But with no stars. Basically a rigid driver is the Maccy D’s equivalent of a litter picker who hasn’t got their ‘fries’ star.

Ah yeah but i’m an ‘incomplete’ class 2 driver earning 30 grand a year plus o/t as a new pass. That’s as far as i’m gonna bite :laughing:

I’ll drive whatever pays the most but which also has the least physical work involved.

So my 6th ever shift in Class 1 tomorrow got moved by the agency to work for my usual client…gutted I was so back to 5 shifts ever completed to date since passing in July this year.

I had an appointment with Samworths today to register only to be told you have only 3 months experience so will have to go the permanent route (don’t want permanent as been employed for the last 25 years and just want flexibility)

So what will it mean tomorrow…the last time it was a Skoda Citigo from Hull to the Midlands…at least they are going to pay me £12 ph so just a £1 less but well I wont be starting at 0400 and 45 miles away doing a double manned 12-13 hour shift!!

I want Class One to get my experience up and be confident with that thing the “R” does on the gear knob…

Patience son Patience!!

Make as much money as you can using as little time and effort,regardless of the type of vehicle used.

Although money is important I find my class 1 status equally as important. It would have to be a fair whack to tempt me to downgrade to class ■■■.

Driving is something I enjoy and whilst I’m fortunate enough to hold a class 1 licence I intend to use it.

If you just wanted to drive class 2’s your just playing at it. Similar to drivers who have never slept in a truck they haven’t experienced the full joys of trucking and should question their choices.

I must confess to spending 5 years on a rigid (that’s what she said) and loved it but bigger challenges beckoned and I always felt overskilled for the job.

To some trucking is a lifestyle to others it’s just a job.

But at the end of the day it’s what makes you happy that counts.

Surely you can actually drive larger or certainly heavier vehicles with “just” a class 2? Mobile cranes you only need class 2 and they are a bit more than 44t and pretty ■■■■ long at that!
i’d say the only vehicle that looks incomplete is a tractor unit usually needs the bit behind it to be useful unlike a rigid :laughing:
As said its job satisfaction and what you get in the bank that matters not if you’ve got something trailing round behind you all day or not.

Class 2 drivers are like the TA reservists,it’s cute that they have a go but in reality they ain’t got what it takes to go full on army’in or hgv’in.

xichrisxi:
Class 2 drivers are like the TA reservists,it’s cute that they have a go but in reality they ain’t got what it takes to go full on hgv’in.

:laughing: Best one yet!

The Beaver’s boasting about the size of his wood is he? :smiley:

Come on people, how may 7.5t drivers have we met where the first words out of their mouth are:
I’m class 1 mate, but the boss asked me to take this out… :laughing:

We all want to be able to boast that their missus has had to see the gynecologist after a good night, and for some of us that’s true! :wink:

Dipper_Dave:
To some trucking is a lifestyle to others it’s just a job.

But at the end of the day it’s what makes you happy that counts.

It’s just a job to me,which is why 8 wheels are enough.But I have respect for those that are more committed than I am. Like the ones that drag a trailer around a city or sleep in a lay-by while the rest of us are tucked up with our Mrs. I take my hat off to you.
At 46 it’s doubtful I’ll ever do another test,but if I do it’ll be class D,because a bus loads and unloads itself.

Evil8Beezle:
Come on people, how may 7.5t drivers have we met where the first words out of their mouth are:
I’m class 1 mate, but the boss asked me to take this out… :laughing:

That was me yesterday :laughing: :laughing: Turned up to this new place the agency sent me too, was expecting a Volvo FH13 with a Curtain behind it as thats what Ive seen them running, ended up in their little 7.5t DAF puddle hopper, at both my deliveries I felt I wanted the world to swallow me whole as I pulled in to tip :blush: … and yes I quoted the above :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: … Not that Ive actually been let loose in a Class 1 yet (well, on my own yet, drove a few on my 'L' plates before I passed). But class 1 for me, I didnt pay out the thick end of 4k and sit 8 sodding exams/test to be happy driving owt smaller.