Change of name on driving licence

When I google this I see many sites trying to sell you rubish
The .gov site dose not have a lot of info!

But what form do I need to complete and can this form be done online and do I have to enclose any supporting documents?

Thanks

Change the name or gender on your driving licence
Send DVLA your old driving licence along with the right application form and any supporting documents to change your name or gender.
The process is the same if you want to change your title, for example from Ms to Dr. You don’t need to send evidence unless it’s a hereditary title.

You’ll get a new licence. You can still drive while you wait for your new licence.

It doesn’t cost anything to change your name or gender on your driving licence.

You must also update your V5C vehicle registration certificate (log book) if you change your name.

There’s a different process in Northern Ireland.

Fill in the application form
Fill in:

form D1 ‘Application for a driving licence’ if you have a car or motorbike licence
form D2 ‘Application for a lorry/bus licence’ if you have a lorry or bus licence
You can order the forms from DVLA or get them from most Post Offices.

Send your completed form to DVLA with:

your photocard or paper driving licence
any original documents that confirm your new name or gender
If you have a paper driving licence

You must send a recent passport-style photo.

If you want to change your photo at the same time

You need to send:

a recent passport-style photo
a cheque or postal order for £17, payable to DVLA (there’s no fee if you’re over 70 or have a medical short period licence)
If you can’t send your old driving licence

You can still apply if your old licence has been lost, stolen or destroyed. You’ll have to say what happened to it when you fill in the form.

Where to send your application

Send your application for a new car or motorbike licence to:

DVLA
Swansea
SA99 1BN
Send your application for a new lorry or bus licence to:

DVLA
Swansea
SA99 1BR
When to expect your licence
You usually get your new driving licence within 3 weeks of applying.

It’ll take longer if DVLA has to check your health or personal details.

Allow at least 3 weeks for your licence to arrive before contacting DVLA.

Last updated: 19 January 2017

Driving licences

Change the address on your driving licence
Renew your driving licence
More in Driving licences
Driving and transport

Change your address or name on your vehicle log book (V5C)
More in Driving and transport
Is there anything wrong with this page?

Is there anything wrong with this page?

Its almost like you’ve quoted the entire help page from the .gov website…

Waaay back in the 80s, when Mr Albion had a haulage company, one of his drivers Fred Bloggs had sent off his license and it came back as requested, Fred Bloggs OBE. No proof required - still makes me laugh as anyone less likely to have an OBE, I can’t imagine.

Conor:
Its almost like you’ve quoted the entire help page from the .gov website…

Well I mean, all the information you need is on their

EDIT, I mean THERE not their

nightmail:
Send DVLA your old driving licence along with the right application form and any supporting documents to change your name or gender.

Good info thanks

What kind of supporting document would they need to see?
Once I have returned the form; will it really take as long as 3 weeks for it to arrive?
And will there be any indication on my new licnece that a change of name has taken place?

Tom Cobbles:

nightmail:

Good info thanks

What kind of supporting document would they need to see?
Once I have returned the form; will it really take as long as 3 weeks for it to arrive?
And will there be any indication on my new licnece that a change of name has taken place?

No

supporting docs would be deed poll document

i dont know of a Fred bloggs, but have used the name Joe Bloggs many times, as an alias you understand…good when booking in without reverting to M Mouse…lol

Driver-Once-More:
No

I phoned DVLA today twice!
The first person told me that they do not except deed poll via a solicitor and it can only be done by a registry office
The second person I spoke to said it must be done by a solicitor

I have Tesco and Morrisons loyalty cards, in the name of Sir Peirre O’Bollox does that count?

This stuff about changing your name with DVLA to the likes of joe blogs OBE and getting it done with no supporting evidence so I wonder whether I could change mine to Lord Raymundo and claim my £300 per day for just turning up at the house of lords (house of of uselessscroungingtwats) plus expenses ■■ …

Tom Cobbles:

Driver-Once-More:
No

I phoned DVLA today twice!
The first person told me that they do not except deed poll via a solicitor and it can only be done by a registry office
The second person I spoke to said it must be done by a solicitor

Many years ago, when I changed my name, all I sent apart from the form was a certified copy of a deed poll, which was returned along with my licence

Driver-Once-More:

Tom Cobbles:
Many years ago, when I changed my name, all I sent apart from the form was a certified copy of a deed poll, which was returned along with my licence

I see I am not the only one then :laughing:
When you did it how long ago was it and was your deed poll signed by a witness, or a self declaration?
Did you change your passport and NI number as well?

Just out of interset why did you change your name; was it for professional or personal reasons?

changed name in 1988, deed poll doc was signed by a witness, passport changed the same way

I did a name change by deed poll through a solicitor a couple of years ago, it cost me £50. I was advised at the time I didn’t need a solicitor but chose to use one to ensure I had no problems.

I changed my photo and name on my passport first, the passport office require an original deed poll document, they won’t accept a certified copy. Once that was in the system then the DVLA only needed a certified copy of the deed poll to change my details on my driving licence, and I was also sent a new digi card and DCPC card without my even asking for them.

Tgtrucker:
I did a name change by deed poll through a solicitor a couple of years ago, it cost me £50. I was advised at the time I didn’t need a solicitor but chose to use one to ensure I had no problems.

I changed my photo and name on my passport first, the passport office require an original deed poll document, they won’t accept a certified copy. Once that was in the system then the DVLA only needed a certified copy of the deed poll to change my details on my driving licence, and I was also sent a new digi card and DCPC card without my even asking for them.

It must be quite resent then if you had your CPC card changed
I am trying to contact someone at the DSA about a change of name on my CPC card but not having much luck
I have looked online for a change of details form for CPC card but again can not find anything.
But you said they sent you a new CPC card with out you even asking, but that is run by the DSA a different government department from the DVLA. Just to be sure I would like to inform the DSA anyway, do you know how to get hold of them?

When you applied for a new passport did you have to return your old one?
How did you get on with your national insurance number?

Thanks
TC

NI number stayed the same

Just being nosey and wondering

But always wondered apart from women getting married

Why would you change your name unless had a really bad name given to you or something or got fathers surname but brought up by step parent and when become of age want to change it to that know a few people done that
Or would it be due to family fall out and want nothing to do with them

Etc

Just wondering really

gettin-on:
Just being nosey and wondering

But always wondered apart from women getting married

Why would you change your name unless had a really bad name given to you or something or got fathers surname but brought up by step parent and when become of age want to change it to that know a few people done that
Or would it be due to family fall out and want nothing to do with them

Etc

Just wondering really

I changed my Christian name because I really hated the name Hugh.

Yours Kevin Janus.