Can I drive before mod 4?

I have my class 2 practical test tomorrow. But could get a mod for until the 22nd of this month. Do I have to wait until I’ve completed the 4 or can I drive before?

You have to pass mod 4 first mate

I think if you wanted to you could hire a truck for the carriage of your own goods as long as its not for hire and reward. e.g. transporting your horses or moving houses.

I’m sure someone would correct me if I am wrong.
You wont be able to work for anyone though.

So pretty much you need your mod 4 done.

I’m a little confused on the 35 hours though.
Not sure if you need to have the 35 hours done before you start driving professionally or if you can do the 35 hours anytime in 5 years i.e. 1 day of 7 hours a year.

When you pass your initial CPC it is valid for 5 years. Then you have to complete 35 hours of periodic training before that 5 years is up to cover you for the next 5 years.

My initial CPC expires in October 2020

I am taking a full 35 hours of periodic training next week which will then cover me until 2025

adam277:
I think if you wanted to you could hire a truck for the carriage of your own goods as long as its not for hire and reward. e.g. transporting your horses or moving houses.

Not sure if you need to have the 35 hours done before you start driving professionally or if you can do the 35 hours anytime in 5 years i.e. 1 day of 7 hours a year.

Need it before you start m8

My training provider is giving me 28 hours with course/test

Need to sit in a classroom further 7 hours before ready to go. Cant wait to get back in the classroom :unamused:

“Normal” driving work needs a cpc. There are some exemptions for the likes of scaffolders who are just carrying the equipment for work. There’s loads of other exemptions along the same lines. But “normal” driving work certainly needs cpc.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

adam277:

No he can’t. If he got his drivers licence after 1st Jan 1997, then he has NO existing HGV entitlement. Therefore the Mod 4, part of the Initial Driver CPC is required to get the Cat C entitlement. It’s not just for CPC hours, it’s for the entire licence.

If you already have an HGV entitlement (e.g - C1 on grandfather rights, pretty much the only case where this applies), then you only need to do the theory and practical tests for the higher entitlement (I.E - Cat C/Class 2), and 35 hours of CPC training. Without that, all 4 modules give you the Cat C entitlement. Not a combination of them. Not even if it’s for your own purposes (for moving horses or driving a big camper van or whatever).

htmldude:
No he can’t. If he got his drivers licence after 1st Jan 1997, then he has NO existing HGV entitlement. Therefore the Mod 4, part of the Initial Driver CPC is required to get the Cat C entitlement. It’s not just for CPC hours, it’s for the entire licence.

If you already have an HGV entitlement (e.g - C1 on grandfather rights, pretty much the only case where this applies), then you only need to do the theory and practical tests for the higher entitlement (I.E - Cat C/Class 2), and 35 hours of CPC training. Without that, all 4 modules give you the Cat C entitlement. Not a combination of them. Not even if it’s for your own purposes (for moving horses or driving a big camper van or whatever).

Mod 4 is part of the initial driver CPC and has nothing to do with HGV entitlement.

Unless after passing the cat C test the OP is doing a job that’s DCPC exempt he cannot drive without a DQC, however doing none commercial work such as moving your own belongings in a 7.5t vehicle is DCPC exempt and can be done without doing mods 2 and 4.