7.5t + cpc?

hi, im quite new to all this…i was just wondering… i have passed cpc 1(multi choice/hazaard perception) and cpc 2 case studies, can i drive a 7.5t truck as a job because i passed my test back in 1987 and have c1 category on my licence …or do i need to do part 3 and 4 also with a 7.5t truck even though its already on my licence? thanks! :slight_smile:

Unless you have or get a job that’s CPC exempt you need to do mods 2 and 4 or 35 hours of periodic training to drive commercially.

If you’ve done mod 2 you might as well forget about the periodic training and just do mod 4.

I’ve no idea why you would have done mod 1 or if that’s a mistake, if you really have done mod 1 perhaps one of the trainers will know why that would be necessary.

edit: This will show you what’s involved with Driver CPC part 4 test: practical demonstration (mod 4)

hi Tacograph, thanks for the advice, sorry i get a bit confused with this cpc info…so if i was to do cpc 4 as well, then i would get my Drivers Qualification Card and would be able to drive a 7.5t for a living?

thanks

I assume you did mod1 theory + HPC with a view to doing the LGV C test :question:

Who told you to do mods 2 and 4 instead of the 35 hours :question:

If you do not want to do mod 4 test then so faryou have only spent a little doing mod 2 so switching to the 35 hours attendance - no test - training might be a good alternative
The costs for either mod 4 or 35 hours are likely to be similar

Yep…i am currently unemployed and i am doing my class c at the moment and would like to do some 7.5t work to fund my course fees etc

Hi, so where you say ive got cpc 2 and switch to 35 hours attendance…what does that actually mean? dont you need the cpc part 2 and 4 when you actually apply for a job as it states cpc required?
sorry for my ignorance, just trying to understand it all :blush:

It’s really quite simple. You need a driver cpc card. There’s 2 routes available to you as you hold a pre 1997 car licence. The route you’ve started is Mod 2 (done) which needs to be followed by Mod 4. This is a practical demonstration test for which most trainers offer a couple of hours training.

OR

You can book 5 x 7hrs training (invariably classroom based) with a JAUPT Approved provider. You will find them here jaupt.org.uk/centre-search Having completed 35hrs you will receive you card a few days later.

So they both have exactly the same outcome. The first option has the downside of possible fail as it is a test. Whereas the 35hrs is attendance based so no pass/fail. You will probably find Mod 4 less expensive and certainly taking less time.

Just to confuse the issue, you have another variation available to you. You could decide to train for CAT C and get credits towards the 35hrs from the driving course. Not all providers offer this; you need to ask the question. This involves no extra time and a modest cost.

Hope this helps, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Andy88:
Hi, so where you say ive got cpc 2 and switch to 35 hours attendance…what does that actually mean? dont you need the cpc part 2 and 4 when you actually apply for a job as it states cpc required?
sorry for my ignorance, just trying to understand it all :blush:

Mod 2 done but means nothing until converted by passing mod 4 test

You could leave mod 2 unconverted and go for the 35 hours instead = your choice

Does the LGV school you intend to do the C course with have their practical training approved for driver cpc hours ? - if unsure then ask them

Ha, ok i see…if i choose the 35 hours attendance route then, what sort of price/cost would that be roughly?

Thanks

Anywhere between £250 and £700. Other factors will include whether you actually want to learn anything or just tick the boxes. I can only speak for us, but we would come in at around £360 with Trucknet discount and you would definitely learn stuff.

The only way to get prices reliably is to use the link I gave you earlier and call the providers.

btw, cheaper to just do the Mod 4 - and certainly quicker.

All the best, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

great thanks for that advice!