Mod 2 & 4 CPC

Hello peoples, another new person alert.

I understand what the MOD 2 & 4 entails (theory case studies and show me/tell me practical) but is this all you need to do to gain your CPC and be able to work? Or do you still have to do 35hrs in a classroom before you can get in a truck and drive professionally to start with?

I thought once you have passed your Mod 2 & 4 you have officially got your CPC, and then just need to complete 35 hrs classroom time with in 5 years of the date of your pass, but a know it all at our place says Id have to do 35hrs in a classroom to before Id be allowed anywhere near a lorry?

Thanks

Hi, and welcome to the forum.

Once you’ve completed Mods 2 and 4, you’re ready to roll (assuming you hold a licence as well!).

Then the 35 hours had to be completed within the following 5 years. Can be done in the first week, the last week or, preferably, anywhere inbetween.

Hope this helps, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

That is of huge help, thank you Pete :laughing:

Can I also ask then, if I have done my class 2, and then done the Mod 2 and 4 to gain my CPC, do I have to repeat this if I go on to take my Class 1? and do I have to resit the Theory and Hazard perception for the Class 1?

Wow, they really like taking your money don`t they :laughing:

No you won’t have to repeat the theories or cpc modules for class 1, just the practical test for the licence :smiley:

The upgrade from C to CE is actually the most simple of all the processes. Simply training and test.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

All sounding good, now I just have to train myself out of all my reeeeaaalllllllyyyyyy bad habits, that`s going to be the hardest part of all I think :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: and what worries me the most :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :laughing:

Some “bad habits” are accepted on test. The classic is crossing hands on the steering wheel. It’s certainly not best practice and I would always try to get folks out of it. But, provided there is no loss of steering control, it’s not marked on a test.

Another one is “getting on with it”. An experienced CAT C driver will often be on the hurry up. My expression is “drive in a meaningful manner”.

So not all “bad habits” are, on their own, a problem. Clearly there’s plenty of bad habits that really are huge problems.

A competent trainer will know the difference and not waste time on stuff that doesn’t matter.

Good luck with it, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Thanks for that.

Im booked in for training + test in a couple of weeks and Im bricking it already :laughing: :laughing:

I`ve had a ‘Dock Licence’ for a number of years and have driven Class 2 and Class 1 with out thinking about it, I can back into the tightest sheds, with low apexes and awkward bays and tip with out a second thought, but the idea of having someone watching me makes me want to puke and is already making me feel like I want to run for the bloody hills. I simply go to pieces at the thought of a “test” :laughing: :laughing:

I leave my hand on the gear-stick and hang out of the window when reversing and my language at times turns the air blue :laughing: :laughing: ah well, heres hoping they can kick me into shape pretty quickly hey? Im also putting away extra money for the 2 or 3 retests :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I leave my hand on the gear-stick and hang out of the window when reversing and my language at times turns the air blue

Hand on gear stick is not the best. But, as long as it doesn’t cause any control issues (particularly with steering) not a problem on it’s own.

Hang out of the window all you like - - - but check your left mirrors for at least the same amount of time. Once again, no rules for use of steering wheel during the reverse.

Language. Try and calm it. It’s honestly bad for you to get agitated. My method is to quietly mutter something along the lines of “pillock” under my breath. Cant be bothered to make the air turn blue - takes too much effort!! On a serious note, much of what might make you get upset you perhaps can learn to anticipate. That way you can get away with “pillock” nice and quietly!! Works for me.

All the best with it, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Peter Smythe:
Hand on gear stick is not the best. But, as long as it doesn’t cause any control issues (particularly with steering) not a problem on it’s own.

That`s ok then, my main job is a van driver, we have to have regular assessments and I get a bollocking for this everytime :laughing:

Peter Smythe:
Hang out of the window all you like - - - but check your left mirrors for at least the same amount of time. Once again, no rules for use of steering wheel during the reverse.

Ok, yes I keep getting told by friends whove done it recently "Mirrors, Mirrors, Mirrors", its the one thing I am good at checking to be fair.

Peter Smythe:
Language. Try and calm it. It’s honestly bad for you to get agitated. My method is to quietly mutter something along the lines of “pillock” under my breath. Cant be bothered to make the air turn blue - takes too much effort!! On a serious note, much of what might make you get upset you perhaps can learn to anticipate. That way you can get away with “pillock” nice and quietly!! Works for me.

Im a fiesty so and so :laughing: I know its bad for me, and I do anticipate dangers very well, its the one thing I get praise for in my assessments, the fact I read the road and react accordingly very quickly, I can speak out loud whats going to happen before it unfolds 99% of the time … My anger comes from the fact I cant get over other peoples stupidity :laughing: :laughing: But Im trying to learn to ‘let it go’ lolol