Brain Haulage

Alibongo:

vernonbish777:
Haha - I remember The Phantom Pen - I wonder if anyone ever saved any of the cartoons :slight_smile:

I have a copy of a cartoon The Phantom Pen drew when my partner drove her car onto a sleeper outside the Grays workshop and had to be lifted of with a forklift. I found it up in the loft the other week and showed it to her, she was not impressed.

any chance you can post it for us all to see. There was a great one of the late great Ayatollah, Sully when he was stopped for speeding saying to the copper whilst wearing a crown on his head and resplendent in his braces " Don’t you know who I am "

I have just had some sad news from Dave Terry to say that George passed away yesterday (monday)after his long fight with cancer.George was one of the best,i saw him for a short time when i came over to the UK in april he made the journey down to the worlds end pub in tilbury where a few of the guys had metup just to say how yer doin,it was good to see some of the old faces, and George made the day.so long George.R.I.P…

Oh no, not another one.
I had some bloody good laughs with George.
Top bloke.
R.I.P. George.

R.I.P. George

Hi to everyone whom may remember me! My name is David Capstick and i worked in the fitters shop at Brains in Oliver road West Thurrock.
I joined in 1988 and worked there having completed my apprenticeship and sadly left in 1992 like all of us.I worked with Del wheatley and
was pretty much joined to his hip and so we aquired the nickname “Unit and Trailer” :laughing: also worked with Paul Caley,Tony Slater,Alan Pearson(shift foreman)
just to name a few.

I took a drive to the old yard today and took the pictures although it’s a rather sad state now,the only thing left is the old workshops which were being
demolished :frowning: as i was taking the pictures.

brains 3.jpg

brains 2.jpg

brains 1.jpg

A couple of great photos.

cap72:
Hi to everyone whom may remember me! My name is David Capstick and i worked in the fitters shop at Brains in Oliver road West Thurrock.
I joined in 1988 and worked there having completed my apprenticeship and sadly left in 1992 like all of us.I worked with Del wheatley and
was pretty much joined to his hip and so we aquired the nickname “Unit and Trailer” :laughing: also worked with Paul Caley,Tony Slater,Alan Pearson(shift foreman)
just to name a few.

I took a drive to the old yard today and took the pictures although it’s a rather sad state now,the only thing left is the old workshops which were being

Hello David

There’s a Paul Caley who is Workshop Controller at Renault Trucks London @ Park Royal.

Steve

cap72:
A couple of great photos.

That was from a crane magazine

neversweat1:

cap72:
just to name a few.

Hello David

There’s a Paul Caley who is Workshop Controller at Renault Trucks London @ Park Royal.

Thx for the info Steve will try to contact him.Do you know of any other fitters
that worked in the workshop?

Steve

I got news today that Brain Bailey has passed away. Another Ex Brain driver sadly leaves us…

cap72:

neversweat1:

cap72:
just to name a few.

Hello David

Thx for the info Steve will try to contact him.Do you know of any other fitters
that worked in the workshop?

Steve

hi i worked at grays started 1976 whent to felixstowe in 1981
my names john claydon I also worked with jim Eastman tony slater .lenny hutton Charlie maning
they were great times for me hated to here they shut shop
that’s life nice to here there are still people talking about old firm

john c

I have just been told Brian Hayward has passed away the weekend R.I.P Brian

mrken:
I have just been told Brian Hayward has passed away the weekend R.I.P Brian

Last time I saw Brian Hayward was when he offered me a job shortly after we packed it in at Brains.
He was running a small depot for Cowans of Felixstowe in London Rd, West Thurrock.
I didn’t take the job, I was sick of the sight of containers at that time. Didn’t fancy any more nights out either.

Sad to hear about Brian Bailey as well. RIP both of you.

I’ll have to get down to see you soon Ken.
Last time I was coming down, the autobox went ■■■■ up in my car. Haven’t had a chance since mate.
Will explain when I see you.

I was just down at Lakeside having a Costa with the Mrs, so decided to have a drive past the old yard.
Most of the skeleton that was the workshops has gone now, just a little left up the end where the wash and pumps were.
I could see the base for the offices and drivers room, the old entrance to the yard and a small bit of car park.
I wanted to show the Mrs because of the numerous times she’s picked me up from the car park after I’d been away all week.
I think she was as sad as me.

Hi

Anyone know how I can contact Peter Sumpter?

Would like to ask him on the off chance he has any pictures of me with my dad out in the lorry.

Thanks in advance

Paul

Seeing that pic of the recovery unit made me remember I had a pic of it.

D208 UAR

Here is a Tractor unit that had an axle added

Before

After

does any body remember when brains had contracts with
MaS SHIPPLING
G+R LINE
IFF
SEA TRAIN
THE WERE THE GOOD OLD DAYS
JOHN C