Bob paul - r . i . p

Archie Paice:
Like many on here I never actually met Bob Paul. I knew his name, having heard it many times mentioned in many places, always with great respect. And I had a great admiration for him from that. My condolences go to all the family. And to Bob, Rest in peace Sir.
Archie Paice.

I can only echo Archie’s sentiment. I never knew him, never met him but had heard of him from my very first time upon the hallowed stairs.

A sad sad day in the history of long distance lorry driving :frowning:

Goodbye Mr Paul :open_mouth:

RIP

Archie Paice:
Like many on here I never actually met Bob Paul. I knew his name, having heard it many times mentioned in many places, always with great respect. And I had a great admiration for him from that. My condolences go to all the family. And to Bob, Rest in peace Sir.
Archie Paice.

I also never met Bob Paul but his name was one of those that was mentioned often when a few drivers were talking together. With the publishing of The Long Haul Pioneers I have a feeling that Bobs life could of been a very happy one over the last few months because of Ashleys book. The name Bob Paul, will probably be remembered in the history of British transport for many decades to come.
My condolences go out to his family, his friends and to all his ex work mates.
R.I.P. Bob Paul, driver and adventurer.

Death is more universal than life; everyone dies but not everyone lives. (A. Sachs)

I believe Bob Paul touched many peoples lives, as he touched mine. A Gentleman, who led by example from the front and gained the respect of all who had the great pleasure of knowing and working with him.
Bob has lived the life of two men, a life that few could every dream of matching. Gob Bless you Sir….R.I.P.

Bob’s name has been etched forever in the history of ultra long distance road haulage, never during my time in this business have I come across someone so universally liked, respected & loved.

Go in peace Bob.

RT

Being halfway through Ash’s book has already given me an insight to the type of guy Bob Paul was,a true pioneer,perhaps we should view Ash’s book as fitting epitaph to a gentleman,a sad day for all that knew and knew of Bob Paul.R.I.P.

My respects & thoughts to his family.

David G Walker

a sad day for international road haulage one of the very few genuine pioneers.
R.I.P. Bob

I was one of the priviledged few outsiders that was invited to the launch of Ashleys book,I can honestly say I’ve never seen such admiration for one man,everyone there wanted to talk to him…I shook the great mans hand and was genuinely on top of the world,He will be sadly missed by all who knew him.

This clipping is a tribute to the sense of adventure of Bob .

Rest in peace Bob,a hero to many.

Marcus :frowning:

That’s very, very sad, I shall look forward even more to reading the book now Ash.

That is indeed sad news.

Out of interest, I’m pretty sure in the Cola Cowboys book it mentioned that Bob Paul was given some sort of award or recognition from one of the Middle Eastern rulers, but did he ever receive anything from the UK government in recognition of his services to British trade and industry in pioneering and establishing a multi billion pound overland trade route down to the M/E and beyond ■■?

If not then maybe he should have done!!

my regards to the family ash another off the old boys in the tir park in the sky :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

i feel honoured to have met bob on many occasions & like so many have said he was an absolute gentelman what a sad sad loss R.I.P Bob .mick pilgrim

Mr BOB PAUL…RIP…chris

The comments on this thread are amazing and it just goes to show what a great man Bob Paul was. Many never knew him, they only knew of him, but his reputation went before him as a gentleman, a leader, a father figure and above all a top boss!

I only knew Bob for a little over 2 years and I feel very honoured and priviledged to have been able to get close to him as a total outsider and to be able to quiz him about his Astran life. He trusted me and knew I was writing the book from my heart. I was full of passion and love for Astran. That is why he decided to help me.
In the short time we knew each other, I learnt so much about him, and from him. His mind and memory was pin sharp and the way he told his stories was to perfection. His humourous anecdotes with punch lines were timed to perfection.

On the day of the book launch / reunion, he told me he was no good at speeches but he would say just a few words. He suggested: “Good afternoon ladies and gentlemen. Thank you for coming. Where’s the bloody bar”!

When it was his turn to speak, he stood up and the room fell silent. Utterly amazing! And then he began…and everyone listened intently. HE spoke for a good 10 minutes! He caught my eye once during his speech and winked at me :wink: I thought to myself; “You bugger! You had it all planned out, you knew what you were going to say”!
We exchanged smiles and he continued to command his audience with some witty stuff and some very emotional stuff.
He asked: “What was it that you all liked about Astran? Why did you all like working for me”?
Terry Tott promptly stood and shouted: “BECAUSE WE LOVED YOU BOB”!!!
I think that sums the great man up perfectly. Enough said.

Bob gave his blessing to the book and thoroughly enjoyed helping me write it. He loved the finshed article and was so very proud of what I had done in respect of his company!

I am so pleased that Bob made it to the event. I now know that he was quite ill on the day but never let on to me. He said he was looking forward to seeing the book “launched” and to seeing his “family” again.

I can speak for everyone who attended the event when I say, we gave him a very special and fitting send off!

For as long as I live, I will never forget Bob Paul and I am truly humbled to have met and befriended the original long haul pioneer.

I guess by now Bob, you are sitting at “the bloody bar” drinking with your old mates, Snowy, John Williams, Jeff Ruggins, Roy Day, Bun Parlane, and many many more. Heres to you Bob CHEERS!

ps: Don’t let Caroline boss you around too much up there!

Ladies and gentlemen. Please be upstanding for Mr Bob Paul. Heres to you Bob.

After he had finished speaking, the great man gave me a hug. A moment I shall treasure forever. He gave his blessing to the book.

R.I.P SIR BOB PAUL you are and always will be a legend
what sad sad news my thoughts are with the family at this dreadful time

Second to none the legend RIP

Ithink you should be very proud off everything you have done Ash just looking at the photos of the book launch & reunion you can see just how happy bob was with everythng you done . well done Ash a great book about a great man.

such sad news i never new bob paul but through ash,s book it became clear he was a true gent and a great bloke to work for and a true pioneer of middle east haulage.my sympathy,s to bobs remaining family and friends.as a few have said ash at least bob got to see your book finished and see so many of his old friends before he passed away
R I P bob paul

Sad news indeed, Ash, your book will serve as a fitting tribute to the man who was the ultimate long haul lorry driver, the vision of the man was extraordinary, British firms weren’t even going to Paris & he went to Kabul, with no idea what lay ahead, amazing…

RIP Mr Bob Paul

i never met bob paul. but like everyone else i aways had the greatest respect for him and his achievments. my condolances to family & friends

I have passed the very sad news to Gentleman George Ginn today via Denise a Trucknet member, and very good friend of George,and his response was that it is the end of an era !! A very sad day indeed !!