ASTRAN BOOK

For everyone who is interested…some long awaited news on my forthcoming book.

THE LONG HAUL PIONEERS - A celebration of Astran International. Leaders in overland transport to the Middle East for over 40 years.

The book will be fully illustrated with 350 photographs (99% colour) and will be filled with stories, anecdotes and captions from the employees. The history of the company is included, from its inception in the mid 1960’s as Asian Transport and coming right up to date with details of the business as it is today (and the future plans) as Astran Cargo Services Limited.

The book concentrates predominantly on the early days when the men were fighting for something and finding it all very adventurous. I have been very lucky in finding almost all of the employees from that era and through their images and words, the reader will be able to gain an insight into something that most people never even dreamed of doing.

I have now completed my writing (130,000 words) and am just about through with the incredibly difficult task of choosing which images to leave out!
The size and price of the book has not been finalised yet, but the initial feeling is something A4 ish and hardback retailing at around £25 although I must stress, that is just an estimate at the moment.

Release date has not been confirmed, but I am hoping it will be ready for the early part of 2010. My publisher (Old Pond Publishing) will give more details of progress in due course.

If anyone would like to pre-order a book (I know it is a long way off yet, but no harm in getting an order in) please send me an e mail to:-

ashleycoghill@aol.com

The interest in my project has ( and still is) been phenomenal and I have already received many pre orders, so thank you to everyone who has done that or given me encouragement, constructive advice (more like criticism), information and general good wishes.
I have to say it has been a true labour of love for me but something which I have thoroughly enjoyed working on and now cannot wait to see the finished article! And of course the men (and women) I have met during the research have been amazing, especially the Asian Transport drivers - The Long Haul Pioneers - who in my eyes are my ultimate heroes.

A few pics to wet the whistle…

Bobby Vallas (pictured) drove the 110 (TDX 400K) regularly. Posing here with one of the V8’s (ELK 384J) on Tahir winter 1971

Another Bobby Vallas pic. UHM 25F posing in Eastern Turkey. Winter 1968.

PHK 172M 140 V8 pictured in Afghanistan on route to Kabul 1975

Well done Truckerash for your effort and hardwork.Looking forward to the release and will be ordering my copy soon, keep up the good work :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

brilliant news ash, email coming your way. put me down for one. :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

I’m up for one just let me know where to order from

I remember being told;

The book aint been written yet!

Well it seems as though, it may have been now!

I shall keep an eye on Ebay :smiley:

The Biker:
I’m up for one just let me know where to order from

It’s being published by Old Pond Publishing. oldpond.com

As I said, no more details as yet, but there will be plenty of publicity when it’s about to be released.
There will also be an advert in the Destination Doha DVD case, also being released by Old Pond.

Was thinking about trying to lauch book and DVD at same time…but not poss I’m afraid :frowning: That would have been superb.

Thanks for all your interest, muchly appreciated :wink: ASH

Congratulations Ash I look forward to the book release, might it not be an idea to have a release party for ex m/east drivers as well as astran drivers past and present I would imagine a lot of us have not seen each others for years,Regards Biffo

nice one ash email on its way mate :wink:

Looking forward to it Ash!!! good taster pics.

Hi Ashley, nice to know its all finished, hope you did’nt leave KVX out mate, let me know how I can get one out here in the states, all the best Charlie

chazzer:
Hi Ashley, nice to know its all finished, hope you did’nt leave KVX out mate, let me know how I can get one out here in the states, all the best Charlie

Hi Charlie: Be patient mate, just like everyone else…including me :unamused: I’ll be posting (and e mailing) more news closer to the release date with more info etc.
Don’t worry, KVX included before and after (if you know what I mean :wink: )

ASH

Looking forward to getting my copy,put me down for one certainly.

just sent you a pm ash cant wait for the book :smiley: :smiley:

Is there any news on a release date for the astran book.

Is there any mention of the original founder of Astrans? :stuck_out_tongue:

jimti:
Acording to my TM he founded Astrans back in the day but sold it on, goes by the name of Ron Perfect

kr79:
Is there any news on a release date for the astran book.

Wheel Nut:

jimti:
Acording to my TM he founded Astrans back in the day but sold it on, goes by the name of Ron Perfect

Hi all:
to kr79 - We are looking at April / May time for the book release, but a date will be confirmed on here in due course. I’ll be sure to let everyone know in plenty of time.

to Wheel Nut - “is there any mention of the original founder of Astrans”: If you mean in my book, yes there is :smiley: . There were two men who did the very first trip, one of whom (Michael Woodman) was the founder and owner. The other man (Bob Paul) was ‘transport director’. Everything will be revealed in the book :wink:

to jimti - Sorry mate, but who ever Ron Perfect is/was, he had absolutely nothing to do with Astrans.

Wheel Nut:

jimti:

no no what about me :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation:

:arrow_right: :arrow_right: :arrow_right: :arrow_right: :arrow_right:

i started astrans :arrow_right: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Just tried to send you an email but it wouldnt send for some reason…put me down for a copy if that is OK…been looking forward to this book for sometime… :wink: :wink:

Ron Perfect - Container Transport
Last seen trading in Grays, Essex area (along by the old ■■■■■■■ site).

topboy trucker:
Just tried to send you an email but it wouldnt send for some reason…put me down for a copy if that is OK…been looking forward to this book for sometime… :wink: :wink:

Hi topboy: I’ve sent you a PM. Unsure why the e mail wouldn’t send. Did you use this address? ashleycoghill@aol.com

Ash