The Long Haul Pioneers

Just in the process of reading the book called The Long Haul Pioneers which is about Astran International Transport from how the company started back in the 1960’s upto present day. I find it a excellent read and very intereting, these drivers back in the 60’s and 70’s were the real KINGS OF THE ROAD not like the self confessed kings of the road clowns pratting about on channel 5 on a Friday night.

Drivers like Dave Poulton with over 120 odd trips out to the Middle East and many other drivers like him having to deal with every kind of situation going even down to running through war zones to get their load to there destinations and could be away from home for upto 14 weeks at a time. And back then their vehicles were not anyway near the quality of the trucks we are all driving today.

I managed to do a few runs into Europe at the backend of the 70s but driving for a plant hire company the Middle East was never on the cards. These long haul drivers really do have to be admirred and im sure drivers that are going abroad these days like Coffeeholic and others will agree with me.

If anyone should be interested in this book its on Amazon at half price. Im sure you would enjoy the read.

Regards,

Dave.

Have a look on the old time forum there’s loads of astran and middle east stuff

Thanks kr79 will do.

Regards,

Dave.