Those long haul pioneers

:smiley: Well, I’ve just read Ashley Coghill’s " The long haul pioneers" and as a trucker of 30yrs both UK and European I thoroughly enjoyed the read. What a well written informative and humorous read. I fully recommend it to one and all. How sorry to then find that co-founder Bob Paul passed away in 2010. He really sounded like a gaffer and a half one of very few you would been pleased to work for. In my career I can honestly say I’ve only had 2 decent gaffers 1 being the late Paul Ruck. The biggest slave driver I worked for was me as an owner driver pounding between the UK and Italy where I met Christopher Hooper. But still all said I take my hat off to all you Middle East veterans out there and congrats to Ashley on a great read. :smiley:

Thanks, glad you enjoyed it, ( i am mentioned as bob white ) and the reason bob paul was a great boss, was the fact that he had done the job himself, most bosses who have been on the road, have an insight as to what the job entails, and will not put up with sloppyness, or lazyness, but also understands when a driver needs to stop, needs to spend 14 hrs +_ at frontiers, etc, but also back then the only form of communication with the home base was the Telex, there were no mobile phones ( thank god,) the drivers were a different breed, all were mechanics, or at least knew something about repairs, and would always stop for a chat or to see if everything was ok.
Everything was above board, all the agents were in the right place, and once we were through customs at the frontiers, we would then leave a permit for the outbound driver, or one on his way home, it was a great organisation, well organised, and a pleisure to work for. When i started with them, we didnt have a depot, only an office in chislehurst, and parking at the local rail station, the units/trucks were serviced in Norfolk, and the trailers at other places, you have once again brought back the memories.
best regards
bob

It truly was a good read, on parr with Juggernaught which I read last year. My good lady wife has now bought me Destination Doha which I look forward to watching next week when I’m probably parked up in some ■■■■ ridden lay by as aposed to paying over the odds for nothing in a motorway services (don’t get me started!!!) still I enjoyed my 13yr euro experience for sure but although I possibly would have whinged like hell at the cold I really (feel) I would love to have had a crack at the Middle East under the Astran umbrella … Being a Leicester lad I have met terry tott though some years ago and didn’t know he was an ex Astran lad. All the very best to you Bob and to you and others I do doth my cap…

retsel1961:
It truly was a good read, on parr with Juggernaught which I read last year. My good lady wife has now bought me Destination Doha which I look forward to watching next week when I’m probably parked up in some ■■■■ ridden lay by as aposed to paying over the odds for nothing in a motorway services (don’t get me started!!!) still I enjoyed my 13yr euro experience for sure but although I possibly would have whinged like hell at the cold I really (feel) I would love to have had a crack at the Middle East under the Astran umbrella … Being a Leicester lad I have met terry tott though some years ago and didn’t know he was an ex Astran lad. All the very best to you Bob and to you and others I do doth my cap…

Terry Tott lol. i worked with him at KTS smashing chap. Did you know he was an original member of the SHOWADDYWADDY. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I got the book a couple of years ago, really great read, when one of the old boys I work with saw it and I had to get him a copy as well. he wasn’t very internet savvy, :laughing: