Middle East Drivers

Hi My name John Holland and I’ve found out today that Bob Paul from Asian Transport is dead. I joined Asian Transport in 1973 with Bob Paul & Mike Woosman as directors and the other drivers where Bob Vallis, ■■■■ Snow, Peter Cannon, Tony Samson, Johnny William, David Poulton, Mr Pearson. I started the same day as Jeff Ruggin and we done our first trip to Iran both driving Volvo f88 from Avis trucks. My first company truck I drove was a Scania 140 rego TDX400K which I later bought from Bob on A gentleman’s agreement and then subbed to Asian Transport/Astran . The office was in Chislehurst opposite the Bickley Arms and many a drink was taken in that pub. We then moved to West Malling. I now live in Perth W.A. and have be an owner driver pulling triple road trains and got into heavy haulage as well. but its with great sadness to here about the lost of people like Bob Paul. Johnny William, ■■■■ Snow. Bob Paul was a true gentleman of the world and he’s wife Caroline was a true Lady , Thanks for the memories and the life aspirants RIP Bob Paul. regards john Holland.

Welcome aboard John.

I was a few years behind you in finding the delights of the East. My first trip was in January 1976, in the worst winter in living memory in Turkey. On this day in 1976 I listened to the radio report of Concordes taking off for Bahrein and Rio on AFN in Germany, while I was heading to Damascus.

There are several Middle East threads, including the Astran one. Some great reading there. I’m sure you’ll also be upset about Gordon Pearce’s recent demise. His book about an early trip to Sharourah is brilliant.

Look forward to reading about your own adventures.

John

Hello John and welcome to the forum. If you get a few hours to spare (its 248 pages long!! :open_mouth: ) then check out this thread…

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=13629

Lots of old school Astran memories and contributions from you old M/E hands. There are quite a few threads on this forum about the middle east runs from back in the day and quite a few of the chaps who did it still contribute to here. Enjoy! :wink: :smiley:

Hi John, it’s good to hear from you, several years ago when Ashley Coghill was researching for his book The Long Haul Pioneers, the story of Astran, Ashley asked me if there was any way that I could contact you as he heard that you had emigrated to Western Australia. I searched through the W.A. White Pages were I came across two J. Hollands listed, one in Perth and one in Fremantle. I left a message on both of their answer machines asking if the knew of a John Holland who worked for Astran in the 70’s and if they could phone me back but I never heard anything from them.
A couple of years later a Dutchman who was a friend of Dave Mackie was organising a Dutch drivers Middle East reunion in the Netherlands and they were also trying to contact you but to no avail.
I hope that you enjoy the site and that you have many interesting memories and photos to share with us.

Regards Steve.

Very nice to hear from you again, John. You will remember me as Kenny Ward from Grangewood. I visited Bob Paul occasionally over the last few years. His passing was indeed sad. This week, I visited Alan Warner - who looks very well for his age. Dave Poulton is still driving I believe…George Hall has retired to France. My wife and I set up www.advanceeuropean.co.uk some 20 years ago, and so I am still involved in the industry.

Good to have you aboard, met up with you first in 75, Bulgaria I think shared a camion stew & swopped tapes for the run to Kapik, I was in my slow but trusty 1418 merc.

I remember it well, as one of the tapes was ‘YES’ and one track in particular: High Vibrations – good mountain music. That turned me on to YES for the first time.

mushroomman:
Hi John, it’s good to hear from you, several years ago when Ashley Coghill was researching for his book The Long Haul Pioneers, the story of Astran, Ashley asked me if there was any way that I could contact you as he heard that you had emigrated to Western Australia. I searched through the W.A. White Pages were I came across two J. Hollands listed, one in Perth and one in Fremantle. I left a message on both of their answer machines asking if the knew of a John Holland who worked for Astran in the 70’s and if they could phone me back but I never heard anything from them.
A couple of years later a Dutchman who was a friend of Dave Mackie was organising a Dutch drivers Middle East reunion in the Netherlands and they were also trying to contact you but to no avail.
I hope that you enjoy the site and that you have many interesting memories and photos to share with us.

Regards Steve.

Hi Steve. Ive just retired and had to apply for a UK pension and due to all the questions and details from my past work that I found out about Bob Paul. I have some great times during my time with Asian Transport I think I could write a book myself about some of the things that happen and I still have a few photo around of that time. Well life’s been good to me and my wife and now enjoying retirement playing around with my collection of motor bike All the best to Regards John Holland Email johnholland042@gmail.com

whisperingsmith:
Good to have you aboard, met up with you first in 75, Bulgaria I think shared a camion stew & swopped tapes for the run to Kapik, I was in my slow but trusty 1418 merc.

I remember it well, as one of the tapes was ‘YES’ and one track in particular: High Vibrations – good mountain music. That turned me on to YES for the first time.

Hi Well I still have a collection of good music about 28000 tracks and still enjoy The Yes but now I’ve just retired and enjoying life in Perth WA but as I am from St Austell Cornwall still have some great memories from my time with Asian Transport and some great stories about the early days on the road. Well all the best to you regards John Holland Email johnholland042@gmail.com

John West:
Welcome aboard John.

I was a few years behind you in finding the delights of the East. My first trip was in January 1976, in the worst winter in living memory in Turkey. On this day in 1976 I listened to the radio report of Concordes taking off for Bahrein and Rio on AFN in Germany, while I was heading to Damascus.

There are several Middle East threads, including the Astran one. Some great reading there. I’m sure you’ll also be upset about Gordon Pearce’s recent demise. His book about an early trip to Sharourah is brilliant.

Look forward to reading about your own adventures.

John

Hi Yes news of Gordon demise is sad and I still remember having some great times in at The Bickle Arm in Chislehurst opposite our first office with ■■■■ Snow-Johnny William-Jeff Ruggins- Dave Poulton- Bob Vallis-Peter Canon- Tony Saomson and Bob Poul and I will always remember Bob Poul as one of the gentlemen of the world and also Caroline he’s wife whom was the one that came up with the new paint scheme from Red/Yellow to the White/Brown with the white line road detail on the front of the grill. Truly great times and memories and proud to have been there. Regards John Holland Email johnholland042@gmail.com

Hi John, nice to hear from you and hope your keeping well, Jeff Ruggins took me on my first trip, i was woprking for Asian Tpt, and did a month trotting around europe with a dutch company called Brutink i also had the Red Volvo F88 out of Avis Euston Road, and feel sure we went together to pick them up…I remember you having a huge silver tray in your cab…those were the days of the 8 track i believe, i loved my music too, and spent a small fortune on them at the time…what ever happened to those volvos ? As yo say it was a sad day when Bob passed away, and some of the others too, the most recent being Mr Parlane, his wife is often on facebook, recalling memories, along with other middle east veterans, there is a page dedicated to that era. Hope the weather is nice and warm over there , as its bloody freezing over here…take care and speak soon. regards Bobby
( ray ) white.

Hi John.

I spent one year trying to “find you” when I was researching and writing my book; The Long Haul Pioneers, the complete history of Asian Transport & Astran.
Sorry I never managed to track you down, but at least you have “found all of us”>…

Here you are posing…Photo taken by Bobby Vallas who had left Astran by this time, and was driving the Oryx F89.
Best regards Ash
ps; (I have sent you an email)

For all old Middle Easter’s

My original number plate in perfect condition, circa 1977, for sale

Great to hang on your wall

I shouldnt have managed to get it out, but i did,

A Wee bit of old history

About £3.50 to post

Make an offer

skipvitesse:

A Wee bit of old history

About £3.50 to post

Make an offer.

Go on, I’ll start the ball rolling. £25. :smiley:

Archie Paice:

skipvitesse:

A Wee bit of old history

About £3.50 to post

Make an offer.

Go on, I’ll start the ball rolling. £25. :smiley:

Good man Archie,

Its been in attic for almost 40 yrs,

Certain it is of interest to those of us that are left from the heyday of the 70’s,

Jeez, that Pic of me in my 20’s frightens me,

No Way any new drivers in UK could even believe what we all did back then,

George Robertson Hope R.I.P.

I have been informed that George passed away peacefully in hospital last Sunday the 28th of february. Just a few months before his 70th birthday.
We were together on many trips to the middle east, when we worked for Frank White of Polton Mill near Edinburgh. I enclose a long distance diary of one trip where he had an FTA observer riding shotgun part of the way.
If you left click on the attachments they will enlarge.

[attachment=1]asiaoverland4.JPG[/attachment
[attachment=0]asiaoverland5.JPG[/attachment

Most interesting, M&Cjamie. Thanks for posting it! Robert

Hi John, my name is Bob Heath and I worked for Promotor same time you was on Astran, I did run with you once or twice and remember the job was a good’un then.

Nicely written…Brings back dusty memories.
I can still picture it in my minds eye.
Brilliant.
GS :sunglasses:

GS OVERLAND:
Brilliant.

Brings back memories of Dust in my Eyes !!,
Damman to Riyhad & Jeddah in Mid Summer, backwards and forewards on ‘Internals’
No Air Con,
Both Windows open,
Cool Box full of Ice & Local Drinks, (one block of Ice lasted 6-8Hrs Max)

Way before they built proper Roads,

Do you remember the Phillipino ‘Guest’ drivers that always had cardboard boxes on drivers door to act as Sunshade??

Do i regret it?

NO WAY

It was brilliant, but only in its time,

Everything changed when roads were built,

I understand you can now drive on motorway from Calais/Zeebrugge to Syrian border, or almost to Iran,

Wheres the Adventure in that?

I remember in early days guys taking down the Tram overhead wires in Salzburg trying to figure out how to get in direction of Graz and onto Yugo, the old road wasnt called the ‘Ho Chin Min’ trail for nothing.

My 1st trip i met a driver in a Guy Big J4 at the Draggoman Gorge, he was heading home, i felt like i had covered half the world, he felt like he was almost home,

He was on way back from Karachi, Pakistan!!!

I never did the Khyber Pass, or across Afghanistan, but he did, and with a Gardener 220,

The VERY FEW guys that did trips in the late 60’s/early 70’s deserve our respect,

Everything after early 80’s was just ‘A Drive’,

Early 70’s was the HeyDay, no roads worth talking about, but everyday you met Brits, Dutch, Frogs, Swiss, Krauts etc, and everyone would help out no matter what, even if it meant them spending a couple of days to get you going, Hungarocamion were Stars, they would never see you sitting stuck,

It wasnt just the ‘Drive’

It was the Companionship

How many nights did you spend parked with a group of drivers, none that could speak eachothers language, but food was shared, lots of laughs, and you felt that you part of a bigger world

Made me grow up very fast and treat people as ‘friends’ way before you got to know them,

It was a time for a very short period, long gone now, Glad i was part of it

Skip

skipvitesse:

GS OVERLAND:
Brilliant.

Brings back memories of Dust in my Eyes !!,
Damman to Riyhad & Jeddah in Mid Summer, backwards and forewards on ‘Internals’
No Air Con,
Both Windows open,
Cool Box full of Ice & Local Drinks, (one block of Ice lasted 6-8Hrs Max)

Way before they built proper Roads,

Do you remember the Phillipino ‘Guest’ drivers that always had cardboard boxes on drivers door to act as Sunshade??

Do i regret it?

NO WAY

It was brilliant, but only in its time,

Everything changed when roads were built,

I understand you can now drive on motorway from Calais/Zeebrugge to Syrian border, or almost to Iran,

Wheres the Adventure in that?

I remember in early days guys taking down the Tram overhead wires in Salzburg trying to figure out how to get in direction of Graz and onto Yugo, the old road wasnt called the ‘Ho Chin Min’ trail for nothing.

My 1st trip i met a driver in a Guy Big J4 at the Draggoman Gorge, he was heading home, i felt like i had covered half the world, he felt like he was almost home,

He was on way back from Karachi, Pakistan!!!

I never did the Khyber Pass, or across Afghanistan, but he did, and with a Gardener 220,

The VERY FEW guys that did trips in the late 60’s/early 70’s deserve our respect,

Everything after early 80’s was just ‘A Drive’,

Early 70’s was the HeyDay, no roads worth talking about, but everyday you met Brits, Dutch, Frogs, Swiss, Krauts etc, and everyone would help out no matter what, even if it meant them spending a couple of days to get you going, Hungarocamion were Stars, they would never see you sitting stuck,

It wasnt just the ‘Drive’

It was the Companionship

How many nights did you spend parked with a group of drivers, none that could speak eachothers language, but food was shared, lots of laughs, and you felt that you part of a bigger world

Made me grow up very fast and treat people as ‘friends’ way before you got to know them,

It was a time for a very short period, long gone now, Glad i was part of it

Skip

I second that whole heartedly!

Life after doing the middle east is just a drag!