Badge Snobbery

Radar19:

robroy:

norb:
Personally i’m a snap on man ,costs more and the warranty is good …

My lad who is a mechanic found a tool box in my Dad’s shed which belonged to my Granda who was a mechanic in the 40s/50s/60s,.so God knows how old some of this kit was.
Among the spanners was a Snap on socket wrench spanner which was broken. He took it to the Snap On rep and got it replaced by a brand new one.

Imperial or metric?

I think it must have been imperial.
Not sure what era it was from, my Granda was a mechanic at RAF Benson Oxford in the 40s, .and later at the BMC franchise at Carlisle in the 50s, so I would maybe say imperial, but I reckon my lad must have got a metric for it.
Not sure if I’m honest. :smiley:

I love seeing all you lads falling over each other thing to outdo one another in the crap trucks sweepstakes :smiley: It may surprise some of you to know that you can drive great trucks and be well paid.

The truck I drive was built in 1998 and rebuilt in 2015 after a roll-over. I’ve had it since November and so far it has got me there and back, every trip. Sometimes I think something new would be nicer but the boss only buys cheap secondhand stuff and re-furbishes them.

switchlogic:
I love seeing all you lads falling over each other thing to outdo one another in the crap trucks sweepstakes :smiley: It may surprise some of you to know that you can drive great trucks and be well paid.

But, but, but, but… If you have a V8, curtains and spotlights you MUST be paid a pittance!

A.

switchlogic:

No customers pay more for a big engined bling wagon to move their stuff so logic demands someone somewhere pays for it either the owners take less profit or drivers get less wages the pot is diminished paying for it.

It’s a curious thing in trucking, flagship motors, I’ve never seen a taxi firm have a blinged up big engined Vauxhall Insignia as a flagship.

Own Account Driver:

switchlogic:
It’s a curious thing in trucking, flagship motors, I’ve never seen a taxi firm have a blinged up big engined Vauxhall Insignia as a flagship.

There’s plenty of top of the range taxies doing run of the mill work, you’ve not been looking hard enough!

Could not give a ■■■■, quite like the small Dafs, think they are easier to drive, Same goes for my personal vehicle, 9 year old Kia. They are just vehicles, there to do a job, they are not an extension of my willy, nor do they represent my personality.

Adonis.:
Wouldn’t go anywhere for a job unless they had kitted out Scanias, at a push Volvos if I wanted to do that kind of work.

A.

WHY?
Doesn’t matter what you drive, no one except 4 year old kids and adults with the brain capacity of 4 year olds care what a truck looks like , all they want to do is get in front of the tw at who is holding them up!!

Hycus:

Adonis.:
Wouldn’t go anywhere for a job unless they had kitted out Scanias, at a push Volvos if I wanted to do that kind of work.

A.

WHY?
Doesn’t matter what you drive, no one except 4 year old kids and adults with the brain capacity of 4 year olds care what a truck looks like , all they want to do is get in front of the tw at who is holding them up!!

Because I’m not a plastic driver, I live in the thing, I want the best.

Scanias are the best, simple.

A.

ChrisArbon:
The truck I drive was built in 1998 and rebuilt in 2015 after a roll-over. I’ve had it since November and so far it has got me there and back, every trip. Sometimes I think something new would be nicer but the boss only buys cheap secondhand stuff and re-furbishes them.

But your truck looks like a dream Chris :smiley:
But sure you must miss your time at fred archer and them old mercs :laughing:

Danne

ChrisArbon:

Don’t know if they still do it, but I read somewhere that in the US you can buy completely top to bottom re.furbished trucks, as new, with warranty, …at a fraction of new price obviously.
Surprised this has not been done here.
Maybe our resident US based truckers can verify this, (or tell me I’m talking complete ■■■■■■■■. :laughing: .)

Adonis.:

Hycus:

Adonis.:

A.

WHY?

A.

I am also not a plastic driver :laughing: …and Tbf mate, I don’t think there is actually a ‘‘bad’’ truck to live in today.
Maybe in other eras if you compared for eg. an Atkinson Borderer to a Scania 111,… same era truck but worlds apart in terms of driver comfort, and for living in conditions, it’s a fair point.
Today they all are a ‘much of a muchness’

Whether a Scania (or Volvo) is ‘‘The best’’ is just a matter of personal opinion, the best cab I have ever lived in (and I have lived in most makes) is a MAN XXL with all the trimmings and top of the range refinements.

robroy:

ChrisArbon:

Don’t know if they still do it, but I read somewhere that in the US you can buy completely top to bottom re.furbished trucks, as new, with warranty, …at a fraction of new price obviously.
Maybe our resident US based truckers can verify this, (or tell me I’m talking complete ■■■■■■■■. :laughing: .)

newmercman has just bought one of them

scotstrucker:

robroy:

ChrisArbon:

newmercman has just bought one of them

So there you go.
If ever I was considering being an owner driver again (fat chance of that btw :smiley: ) I would rather buy the re.furbed 55 plate MAN I had when new, with the easyshift (or whatever the hell they called it) and a fraction of the electronic crap in a new equivalent, than a pricier brand new one.
Just speaking generally here in the context of the thread, as maybe the Euro bull/s regs would not make it feasible.

Adonis.:

Hycus:

Adonis.:

A.

WHY?

A.[/quote
If has you say Scania’s are the best why aren’t all the lorries on the roads Scania’s?
To be honest I’ve never seen what all the fuss is about with Scania
I’ve driven a few on demo from the "2 Series " right through to the 4 "Series "and i drove a 54 plate Scania for a while which was replaced with a 13 plate Mercedes Axor which I found was more comfortable

Well Scania hasnt made a decent truck since the 3 series. Im my opinion the 143 is maby the best truck ever built. But for todays trucks i int having a Scania,im in a FH 750 globbetrotter witch i like but i dont think its better than any other truck out today,well maby uphill.Its fantastic,but that to expect with 750eh? :smiley:

Danne

The thing with Scanias is that the interiors and mechanicals can stand the ignorant abuse and neglect of multiple steering wheel attendants (mind you so could the much underrated square Axor, arguably still a drivers lorry) where something like an MAN is better suited to being issued to one or two regulars who would look after it.

I’ve had all models of Scania going right back to 110’s, mostly reliable with decent steering but all suffered with gearboxes that were nothing special, and since the 111 the ride quality has been crap.
Hopefully the new model gearbox is improved along with ride quality and the auxilliary brake which has always been ■■■■ poor.
I too don’t quite get the hero worship of the marque, but as with all things each to their own.

I know many mock MAN’s and they do have their drawbacks, not the least being vague too high geared steering and our old fiend Arsetronic which has also utterly ruined Dafs and Ivecos for years, though it has to be said Arsetronic is nothing if not reliable and durable, far more reliable than the semi auto Scanny boxes of the last 10 years.

All makes have their good and bad points, and all makes have had good periods and bad, i wouldn’t want a new Daf as the electronics are too intrusive (though i’d have gladly kept my '07 460 manual CF which was a cracking little motor), other than that couldn’t really give a toss what lorry i get next as they’re all boring automated rubbish in comparison to what they replace, i’m only in it for 7 to 12 hours then off home, if i was married to the thing and living with it i’d probably think differently, the image a marque portrays doesn’t make a scrap of difference to me personally, though i acknowledge that aspect of make choice is very important to some.

gazsa401:
If has you say Scania’s are the best why aren’t all the lorries on the roads Scania’s?
I’ve driven a few on demo from the "2 Series " right through to the 4 "Series "and i drove a 54 plate Scania for a while which was replaced with a 13 plate Mercedes Axor which I found was more comfortable

I was with you until the last bit.
The words ‘Mercedes’ and ‘comfortable’ are rarely used in the same sentence when talking trucks.

gazsa401:

Despite being a God, not everyone shares my opinion. There are also things like “Logistics Solutions Providers” who have bean counters who don’t see the words Scania or DAF or Iveco and employ halfwits who need stickers to remind them how to drop a trailer who have a habit of breaking everything. In these cases the price tag is more important than the man behind the wheel.

Nice comparison of motors that are nearly a decade apart, but If you prefer the flagship of the agency driver, that’s what you prefer. Like chubby chasers, at least someone is happy riding something us Gods wouldn’t touch with a bargepole. :wink:

A.

Adonis.:

gazsa401:

Despite being a God, not everyone shares my opinion. There are also things like “Logistics Solutions Providers” who have bean counters who don’t see the words Scania or DAF or Iveco and employ halfwits who need stickers to remind them how to drop a trailer who have a habit of breaking everything. In these cases the price tag is more important than the man behind the wheel.

Nice comparison of motors that are nearly a decade apart, but If you prefer the flagship of the agency driver, that’s what you prefer. Like chubby chasers, at least someone is happy riding something us Gods wouldn’t touch with a bargepole. :wink:

A.

So you wont want my copy of Plumpers Monthly then ? :slight_smile:

Bob