Truck Preferences

I’m looking for a new job right now and I was wondering, are any drivers here fussy about what make of vehicle they drive? Personally I really don’t like DAFs.

Pay me enough money and I’ll drive whatever I’m told.

Now that’s out the way…

The Renault I used constantly had warnings, as did the DAF with the silly ‘da da dong da da dong’ warning that still triggers me even now. MAN I didn’t like because the steering wheel is akin to something you’ll find on the captains cabin on a steamboat, never really had many issues with Volvo, even the fleet spec gas powered supermarket volvo I drive now. But for me it’s Scania - maybe tinted by jobs I had while using Scania but never let me down home or abroad and always had well specced ones (as in well specced for comfort like microwave, coffee machine and not silly lights or frilly curtains)

I don’t like Dafs either, for two main reasons.

1 switchgear, someone i think here described it as confetti switchgear where after chucking a load of switches in the air wherever they landed they were fitted, getting into one in darkness when not used to them is horrible trying to work out whats what.

2 gearbox programming, this also applies to some other makes fitted with Traxon (which replaced Arsetronic) box ie Man and Iveco, some have manual control programmed out entirely whilst Dafs in particular default to eco after a short period unless that defaulting is programmed out by request, to be fair Iveco’s gearbox programming was even worse on the several Iveco Stralis i used regularly.

a 3rd reason which maybe only applies to me, whilst i have few issues maneuvering any other make i’m all over the shop with a Daf until i get used to it, don’t ask me whats different or why cos i can’t answer why this is the case.

This all applies to CF’s, haven’t driven any of the new ranges which may well prove better, i had a 2007 CF 460 with the 16 speed manual box a few years ago and was disappointed to lose it, cracking truck that pulled really well, also had Dafs of yor ie 2800/3300 and even a 2600 and 2500 which were all really good motors in their day.

The gearbox programming issue may seem trivial to some or even many here, but to me a truck gearbox when matched well to the engine either makes or breaks a truck as fit for purpose, hence why Volvos and Scanias are usually a pleasure to drive, seeing as manual gearboxes are now virtually extinct…mores the pity :smiling_imp:

Not many Chinese trucks as in Hino but do see a few on tipper work and the Turks Ford trucks.

Henry Stephens:
Not many Chinese trucks as in Hino but do see a few on tipper work and the Turks Ford trucks.

I thought Hino was owned by Toyota in Japan

Montsoreau:

Henry Stephens:

I thought Hino was owned by Toyota in Japan

They are, Toyota’s industrial arm.

I hate MAN with a passion, uncomfortable driving position and the peddles are too close together, the accelerator is right up against the the door frame and as I have big feet its often difficult to find the accelerator!

I like my DAF for comfort and space, but hate the gearbox!!

Renault too cramped in the cab especially for someone 6ft and the controls are just naff!!

Volvo… hmm I do like the Volvo comfortable plenty of room even in a day cab and the peddles aren’t shoved in a corner like the MAN.

Scania… I really do like these trucks, easy to drive and comfortable!!

No mention of Mercedes yet?
I would like a different job for variety and to try different trucks, but it does worry me that I’ll regret leaving the mercedes behind. I love the power of it, and the tech (mirrors that don’t need cleaning) distance to and speed of vehicle in front (I frequently look for this in my car, only to find it’s not there!) and ACC (not sure if every truck has this?).
Plus the gigaspace is huge.

Always difficult…

To choose. Some lorries have features that drivers like that other drivers hate with a passion.

MAN: A good example of what suits some, doesn’t suit others. I found the driving position the best in everything I’ve ever placed my arse in. I can sit bolt upright for the entire day and never have to shift forward for roundabouts and therefore bend my spine out of shape all day. This comment contradicts another poster here who despises the driving position. A good example of what one driver thinks is great, another driver hates. The steering wheel is too big (I’m told the latest version addresses this though). The mirrors are too big, (to be honest, they’re bleedin’ dangerous on roundabouts). The gearbox is waaay too slow when trying to make executive decisions on very busy roundabouts. Early versions the curtains just fell down just going over a manhole cover.

Volvo: As a drivers truck, it’s good. My last experience with these was with a big supermarket chain on nights. It had the VEMIS system which was ■■■■■ but the auto gear box was ace. Good to live in, superb climate control and well thought out ergonomics. Go back even further and the F10 and F12 had the sweetest clutch and lightest steering I can recall. The F86 was scary.

DAF: My last full time gig with these was with a manual space cab. The cab was unsurpassed for room. The huge bed, the fridge that you can snaffle mini pork pies from all day were game changers back in the day. Let down by it’s security in so much as all you needed was a teaspoon to open and start them. They often leaked from the sunroof which could destroy anything expensive you’d left in the middle tray overnight. Quarter light windows, I mean come on!?!Let down these days by 80’s Konami electrics and spurious dashboard warnings.

Scania: It’s impossible not to take the mickey out of Scania’s. The reputation for dodgy running, carving everyone up and parking where ever they like is unrivalled. But, the engine and gearbox are well made and compliment each other superbly. They are a drivers truck chiefly because the V8 responds better than anything else I can think of. They’re not perfect, the chassis is (I’m guessing here) 40 years old? There’s no way you should be losing 5 inches in height because you raised the mid-lift.

Mercedes: Merc have never made a powerful engine. Despite big numbers on the door, the performance was always lacking. Even Iveco’s will pop them on a good hill climb. Nice auto-box, good mirrors and comfy to spend a few days in. Let down by the most godawful ride know to man (I’ve had a few rough rides I can tell you). You can spot me driving one on the motorway because I’ll be weaving over three lanes trying to avoid some dried chewing gum left in lane 2. They give me little confidence when it comes technology. Not sure how well touch screens everywhere will go down with fat diesel soaked fingers over a long period of time.

Renault: I can’t comment on these because my last experience was driving a G290 major around Pompey docks with a 20 foot, drum braked skelly behind me.

Iveco: The worst truck ever made. There is nothing I can think of that conveys how awful they are. It was topped this year by doing an assessment in an LPG one. I always thought you couldn’t make a pile of crap worse. I was wrong, they did. Utter garbage. I have a strong urge to batter them with a sledge hammer when ever I see them. I’m currently receiving PTSD treatment for driving one to Spain and back. I found the only way to drive them on nights was to cover the entire instrument display with my paperwork folder, thereby stopping the Las Vegas style warning light show from blinding me all night. All my calls to the Samaritans were made whilst driving them.

I’m not gonna do Foden, ERF, Guy and Scammell cos most of you haven’t heard of them.

Mostly like Volvo as have driven them the most over the years, but have driven most all makes in my time. Not keen on the DAF CF for cab space.

My only preferences now are cab size and spec inside for being away all week, getting too old and arthritic for cramped cabs and engine humps. Must have fridge and microwave/inverter (preferably both) and plenty of storage.

Driver101:
I’m looking for a new job right now and I was wondering, are any drivers here fussy about what make of vehicle they drive? Personally I really don’t like DAFs.

Again as others have said - pay me enough and I’ll drive anything .
Give me a choice - "Alright drive theres a yard full of all makes of trucks go and pick the one you want " and it will be a Volvo . As an all round package it suits me and I like them. Ive been driving them since I started 27 years ago ,learned to drive in a F7 then drove F10/12s and then the Fh V1 /2/3/4 . I’ve driven Scanias , DAF’s, Merc’s bbut always drifted back to the Volvos .Maybe I’m set in my ways or I’m getting to old to learn new tricks but in a Volvo I know where everything is - I don’t have to look down for a switch I can just put out my hand and find it , any other truck I’d be looking down and around and taking my eyes off the road ahead . I’m sure others will say the same about other trucks , I guess its just what you get/ become used to over the years . I can hide all my gear in and around the cab the seats and the bed are comfortable and my knees aint knocking the dash.
Works for me , may not work for others .

Any lorry but a Merc.

Sent from my CPH2173 using Tapatalk

stu675:
No mention of Mercedes yet?
I would like a different job for variety and to try different trucks, but it does worry me that I’ll regret leaving the mercedes behind. I love the power of it, and the tech (mirrors that don’t need cleaning) distance to and speed of vehicle in front (I frequently look for this in my car, only to find it’s not there!) and ACC (not sure if every truck has this?).
Plus the gigaspace is huge.

Ah yes I forgot Mercedes.

I think I was trying to blot it out of my mind. At my old job I got a brand new Mercedes. I left not long after. Cheap, nasty. Some of the tech was good like I liked the infotainment system and instrument display but beyond that… slim pickings.

Also when I pop back into a Merc now for a shift I realise just how ■■■■ the ride quality is.

As agency I don’t have the luxury of picking and choosing what truck I drive, although the majority of what I drive recently is volvo , a mixture of 450hp FH diesel and LNG trucks. I gave up caring about it and so long as it has a wheel in each corner I’m happy to drive it

I’ve driven Merc, MAN , DAF , Scania and Iveco
Merc tractors are pants but the Actros 26t rigid was ok
IVECO , enough said leave it there , even new trucks have a breeze blowing through door seals
DAF good cab size and comfy bed , 480 is pants compared to a 480 MAN as gear box needs to be worked , I play regular warning light bingo , also have had ignition barrel and wiper stalk replaced and the truck is a 2018 with 510k kms on clock
MAN , TGXXL was huge and 500 Astronic box worked well , driven 500 traxon 6 months younger and is pants
Scania , G cabbed trucks 2016 we have are good for getting in tight yards pull well if loaded with less than 20t as they’re 410 , let down by small cab an seating position also fridge would switch off after 23hours of no engine running
Volvo can’t comment
I’d have either a MAN or larger cabbed Scania and may be a 530 DAF
But as others have said if it’s legal and the money goes in the bank ,where’s the keys

As long as it is legal and the pay is enough I do not care what I drive.

In my opinion the age of bad trucks disappeared 15/20 years ago. I’ll literally drive anything legal though I will admit I’ve been insanely lucky with what I’ve driven over the past decade

The Renault Premium was a very underrated model but a narrow unit to fit in to tight farm entrances and pulled well too, but similar to the Volvo FL10 a tall driver would struggle to get dressed in the morning with going outside to dress.
The FL 10 was called the Wendy House.

Like some others have said I’ll drive pretty much anything within reason and the money is right.
I will say this for Scania though. The sound system is great! On the new ones at our place anyway… not sure if they all come with that infotainment spec??
Had a right good rave coming back from Bellshill last night :smiley: Think they could do with another catwalk step though.

The older MAN range had that huge blind spot on the door pillar that made a big difference to spot vulnerable road users if pulling out of a junction and the massive steering wheel.
Certain makes were renowned for engine failures due to the factory carrying out testing and the process of that caused loads of problems.