Badge Snobbery

Being a freelance driver for the last few months, I’ve driven and lived in quite a few different makes of trucks, including one very powerful tidy V8 Scania and one old but well looked after Iveco Strallis.

All of them had their good points and bad points, but none of them was awful.
Anything on the Scania was overshadowed by the amazing amount of power and probably as important the retarder, great for attacking some of the long climbs and descents across Europe and made for a really relaxing drive, but once I got over that I did notice some nice touches and that it was nicely bolted together, as Judian said made to last the hands of many heavy handed or just careless drivers, this is backed up by the far more basic 10 year old Scania I drove last year where every switch and catch and locker door still did what it was supposed to do.
However everything on the Iveco was still functioning, but it was a well looked after truck and I wouldn’t be too upset if I have to drive it it on a regular basis, but you could imagine it wouldn’t take many rough drivers before things were broken.
My favourite truck of the ones I’ve driven recently is an Actros, which really surprised me as I’ve not been much of a fan of Mercedes in the past, but this one again has been well looked after and is a high spec cab, they also have some other Actroses, (or is that Actrosi) but they are basic spec and haven’t had such an easy life and really not as nice to drive or live in.

So in my opinion there aren’t any really bad trucks, it’s a well specified truck (and if its not new, well looked after) that makes more of a difference to how you feel about driving and living in it, than the actual make of truck.

Suedehead:
After reading more than a few posts on different subjects in various topics on this forum, somebody comes out with the likes of (insert make of lorry here), usually Mercedes or Ivecos, “are crepe/pile of pooh, I wouldn’t drive for a company that ran those”
Seriously, are there drivers out there that would not drive for a company, that did not run top of the range Volvias ?

I currently drive a 65 plate Volvo FH4 500 and have been offered a job at a nearby company for £60 a week more. They run 11 plate Ivecos. The sole reason I’m still where I am is because I dread the thought of spending 5 days and 4 nights in a crap Italian truck. I don’t reckon I’d go for an extra £100 a week.

Wow :open_mouth: but its your choice eh

Danne

Dirty Dan:

ChrisArbon:
The truck I drive was built in 1998 and rebuilt in 2015 after a roll-over. I’ve had it since November and so far it has got me there and back, every trip. Sometimes I think something new would be nicer but the boss only buys cheap secondhand stuff and re-furbishes them.[/quo
But your truck looks like a dream Chris
But sure you must miss your time at fred archer and them old mercs :laughing:

Danne

It’s not looking so smart since it got hit by that shed.

N

Ehh well boss… :smiley:
But you got it fixed by now?

Danne

goshow:

Suedehead:
After reading more than a few posts on different subjects in various topics on this forum, somebody comes out with the likes of (insert make of lorry here), usually Mercedes or Ivecos, “are crepe/pile of pooh, I wouldn’t drive for a company that ran those”
Seriously, are there drivers out there that would not drive for a company, that did not run top of the range Volvias ?

I currently drive a 65 plate Volvo FH4 500 and have been offered a job at a nearby company for £60 a week more. They run 11 plate Ivecos. The sole reason I’m still where I am is because I dread the thought of spending 5 days and 4 nights in a crap Italian truck. I don’t reckon I’d go for an extra £100 a week.

Italian, thought they were made in Madrid?

Own Account Driver:

switchlogic:
I love seeing all you lads falling over each other thing to outdo one another in the crap trucks sweepstakes :smiley: It may surprise some of you to know that you can drive great trucks and be well paid.

No customers pay more for a big engined bling wagon to move their stuff so logic demands someone somewhere pays for it either the owners take less profit or drivers get less wages the pot is diminished paying for it.

It’s a curious thing in trucking, flagship motors, I’ve never seen a taxi firm have a blinged up big engined Vauxhall Insignia as a flagship.

Not blinged up but when I drove a taxi we ran a fleet of Rover 820’s all old cars mind K-P registrations.
Mostly standard 20 litre petrol with one 825 diesel. But the best ones were the 2.0 turbo vitesse, 825 KV6, and 3 827 V6’s lol

Loved driving the 800’s especially the 827’s and the turbo Vitty.

I’d love a 730 V8 Scania, every available inch of it covered in lights 'til it looked like something out of Revelation. If I won the lottery I’d still get one and howl around the country in it, no speed limiter. Maybe even install some kind of toilet in it. Then with a large fridge with beer just above freezing, the best Egyptian cotton sheets man can buy and an alien fleshlight I think I’d finally be living the dream.

Chief Beef:
I’d love a 730 V8 Scania, every available inch of it covered in lights 'til it looked like something out of Revelation. If I won the lottery I’d still get one and howl around the country in it, no speed limiter. Maybe even install some kind of toilet in it. Then with a large fridge with beer just above freezing, the best Egyptian cotton sheets man can buy and an alien fleshlight I think I’d finally be living the dream.

I like you, you’re not quite right in the head! You’ll do well here mate. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

the maoster:

Chief Beef:

I like you, you’re not quite right in the head! You’ll do well here mate. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Munchkin:

goshow:

Suedehead:

Italian, thought they were made in Madrid?

Nissan Jukes are made in Sunderland but that doesn’t make them British.