Bad firms to tip at!

Cant understand why some places want you out the cab while tipping you? Hand keys in…trailer brake on, chock wheels if you must (not that your accidently going to let the handbrake off?) the truck aint going anywhere

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mark1284:
Cant understand why some places want you out the cab while tipping you? Hand keys in…trailer brake on, chock wheels if you must (not that your accidently going to let the handbrake off?) the truck aint going anywhere

The reason is quite simply that we as drivers are our own worst enemies! Don’t get me wrong, I hate all this ■■■■■■■■ as much as the next man but as long as we have a small percentage of plankton driving lorries it’ll never change. I’ve witnessed drivers handing in obviously fake keys, I’ve witnessed drivers pulling off bays whilst still on a red light and I’ve seen the consequences of such actions. So I’m afraid that what sensible folk consider to be OTT regulations are here to stay.

I hold my hand up to giving in the fuel cap key and keeping the ignition to listen to the radio while they take 2 hrs to load me. But, I’m not a complete ■■■■■■ and can be trusted not to do anything moronic until I get my fake keys back. After that all bets are off :laughing: :laughing:

Fuzrat:
I hold my hand up to giving in the fuel cap key and keeping the ignition to listen to the radio while they take 2 hrs to load me. But, I’m not a complete ■■■■■■ and can be trusted not to do anything moronic until I get my fake keys back. After that all bets are off :laughing: :laughing:

Not having a pop at you by any means mate as I’m confident that you are indeed not the type of idiot who’d pull off on a red after handing false keys in. The problems start with how do you identify an idiot? They look at first glance quite normal and unfortunately the only time you realise that they are in fact an idiot is when you’re writing page after page of HSE reports.

Every so often in our yard I drive a Terberg for a week and as part of my job I have to fit a Salvo lock to trailers and also take the drivers keys, I’ve lost count of the times I’ve been handed an obviously fake set of keys. Tbh I let it slide as I’m not the yard policeman and I’m not interested. I have though spoken to drivers who’s English is good enough to understand and pointed out to them that whilst I’m not bothered some of my colleagues may not be quite so laid back so they shouldn’t be surprised that the next time they come to load/tip they may find that instead of lying on their bunks for a few hours they may find themselves in a portacabin sat on a plastic chair watching Bargain Hunt.

the maoster:

mark1284:

The reason is quite simply that we as drivers are our own worst enemies! Don’t get me wrong, I hate all this ■■■■■■■■ as much as the next man but as long as we have a small percentage of plankton driving lorries it’ll never change. I’ve witnessed drivers handing in obviously fake keys, I’ve witnessed drivers pulling off bays whilst still on a red light and I’ve seen the consequences of such actions. So I’m afraid that what sensible folk consider to be OTT regulations are here to stay.

I get your point Maoster, but arn’t you just a teeny weeny bit cheesed off (i bloody am and i know blokes on the relevant outfits who are just about at exploding point) with companies employing half wits, who do exactly what anyone not wearing pointy shoes could have told the company they would do, so then elfinsafety dumbs the job down in their knee jerk way so the half wits can’t make the same catastrophe again…so the recruiting side now have to find some quarter wits instead :unamused:

Meanwhile the good majority are treated increasingly like those half and lowering wits, utterly demoralising.
And yes i am going to say it again, it’s one size fits all management stylee based on the lowest common denominator.

WTF was wrong with employing sensible intelligent people, employing working methods that required a brain, and paying the competent well so they stayed?

Travis Perkins. They make you wear a hard hat all the time God knows why.

And screwfix stafford. Been there once few weeks ago was bad enough.
Reversed onto bay handed keys in sat in the little area on chair waiting. Woman on desk half chatted to me between her phone calls.
Waited about 30 mins . Decide wanted a brew from machine walked back to cab get some change for machine. Woman behind desk went off at one at me. You can’t leave the room have to ask permission. Can’t go back to your truck at all.
She then radioed through telling the warehouse to not tip me and refuse the load. But there reply was we’ve just finished it now . .thank god.

Moaster and Juddian, spot on chaps. Unfortunately we are tarred with the same brush as the morons. I just cant understand how anyone would want/need to pull off a red. Done it once on a “broken light protocol” Light stuck on red and wouldnt change after they took the ramp off and dropped the door. Bod stands at osr corner of trailer and after checking the ramp is off and door is closed acts as the light. Still made me feel very uncomfortable :confused:

Fuzrat:
Moaster and Juddian, spot on chaps. Unfortunately we are tarred with the same brush as the morons. I just cant understand how anyone would want/need to pull off a red. Done it once on a “broken light protocol” Light stuck on red and wouldnt change after they took the ramp off and dropped the door. Bod stands at osr corner of trailer and after checking the ramp is off and door is closed acts as the light. Still made me feel very uncomfortable :confused:

Yep, you’re spot on there Fuzrat, certain circumstances etc. I have pulled off a bay where the light has been stuck on red and I’ve pulled off when the lights have failed and gone out all together, but like you ONLY once I’ve covered my arse and had a manager present. Not because I consider there to be a risk, but more to cover my arse in case some spotty necker graduate takes exception to my actions.

Which neatly leads to Juddians point above; yes my friend I’m heartily bored by the fact that a child with an ology in media studies can hold such sway over me and I’m a little sad that the 30 year old version of me that would punch first and ask questions later has turned into the 55 year old me who merely shrugs and mutters under his breath. The fight kinda gets worn out of you when you seem to be the only Don Quixote (sp) tilting at windmills.

At Yeo Valley Highbridge not only do you hand your keys in you also have to put a salvo lock on which is no fun with a close coupled fridge then you hand the salvo lock key in alongside your keys and if that’s not good enough you also are banished to the canteen, but we do get free tea/coffee and newspapers and a tv to watch so all is not too bad.

Yearsley Logistics / Young’s at Grimsby

6 hours to tip “urgent” packaging.

Hounded the monkeys behind the glass screen every half an hour after getting on a bay, 4 hours after arrival. Apparently they’re on break most of the day.

To be fair, it turned out to be the monkeys in the warehouse that were useless, watched the “shift manager” tear a piece off each of them from the loading dock.

Still, hopefully I won’t be back for a while!!

the maoster:

Fuzrat:

Yep, you’re spot on there Fuzrat, certain circumstances etc. I have pulled off a bay where the light has been stuck on red and I’ve pulled off when the lights have failed and gone out all together, but like you ONLY once I’ve covered my arse and had a manager present. Not because I consider there to be a risk, but more to cover my arse in case some spotty necker graduate takes exception to my actions.

Which neatly leads to Juddians point above; yes my friend I’m heartily bored by the fact that a child with an ology in media studies can hold such sway over me and I’m a little sad that the 30 year old version of me that would punch first and ask questions later has turned into the 55 year old me who merely shrugs and mutters under his breath. The fight kinda gets worn out of you when you seem to be the only Don Quixote (sp) tilting at windmills.

Exactly why I just say “yeah, whatever” and walk away. It’s pointless kicking off when you’re surrounded by the spineless. I just leave the shouting to the boss, seems to get better results and they can’t tell me off when it’s him who calls them a shower of idle front bottoms. :laughing:

rambo19:

malcolmgbell:
Well known rdc HODDESDON, walked up ramp to office ,asked fella what to do with keys,his reply did security give you a bit of paper ,me yes they did,him it tells you on there, didnt you read it,me no, well then ,me how can I read it if I can’t read, not a word said funny look followed by put your keys on the hock by the ramp

To which my reply would of been;
‘I don’t believe you, how can you drive a lorry if you cannot read?’

And my reply would be I dont give a ■■■■ what you believe

mark1284:

The waiting room thing isn’t actually all about preventing the truck moving. It’s increasingly more about restricting drivers to a controlled “safe place” whilst they are being tipped.

They don’t want drivers wandering across a busy yard to & from the bogs/brew machine, standing about in the yard chatting to their mates, polishing tanks etc. They think it increases the chance of you getting injured whilst on site.

Not saying I agree with it, just an insight into the minds of the health & safety lot.

It’s the hypocrisy of…

The RDCs that gets me. Sainsbury’s drivers can sit in the unit almost touching the trailer on a red light waiting for it to be loaded. If I ask to do the same thing… ‘sorry mate, it’s against H&S regs’.

I’ll glady drop the trailer, suzi lock it, park in the corner of the yard and you can give my phone a ring when I’m tipped…once again ‘we can’t do that’.

Its as if they actively go out of their way to make my life uncomfortable.

yourhavingalarf:
It’s the hypocrisy of…

The RDCs that gets me. Sainsbury’s drivers can sit in the unit almost touching the trailer on a red light waiting for it to be loaded. If I ask to do the same thing… ‘sorry mate, it’s against H&S regs’.

I’ll glady drop the trailer, suzi lock it, park in the corner of the yard and you can give my phone a ring when I’m tipped…once again ‘we can’t do that’.

Its as if they actively go out of thier way to make my life uncomfortable.

we do

One place i tipped at the light switched to green… thought that didnt take long (had keys so could of pulled off) yup the ramp was still out… then the lights starting flicking from green to red. Told them in the office… oh yes we know about it… all it takes is one ■■■■■■■. I always get out and double check the ramp is up mind

Stobarts at Sherburn seem to be an excellent example of pure incompetence, nobody has a ■■■■■■■ clue

I dnot get it? I’m a lrory direvr adn I cna raed adn wirte jsut fnie■■?

johnteller:
I dnot get it? I’m a lrory direvr adn I cna raed adn wirte jsut fnie■■?

I understand that, my ysdexlay must be getting better.thanks :wink:

Jimmy McNulty:
Stobarts at Sherburn seem to be an excellent example of pure incompetence, nobody has a [zb] clue

Yet to be successfully loaded there.

Three visits, three times told to “wait in your cab until we come and get you” and three times instructed to pull out after 2+hrs of nothing happening.