Axminster transport

Never tire of these old F88s sure it’s been on here before, but never mind.

Andy and Gerry drove these two back in the day.

Back in the day .

Cliff luxton:
Andy and Gerry drove these two back in the day.

Hope you don’t me asking,
Gerry who ? Wouldn’t be Gerry Long would it ?
Sure he lived Chard way, knew him when he worked for Parsons,
been retired a while now.

Boardo96 Yes it was Gerry Long he worked for Axminster Transport for many years before my time and still there when I left. His son Clive also worked there for quite a few years.

Hi Cliff, thought Gerry worked there, wasn’t sure about Clive, don’t know if you’ve seen or heard of Clive lately, he’s now running 3 or 4 motors of his own, his younger brother Archy is driving one of them.
Took an interest in your thread as I’ve lived around Exeter and Honiton most of my life and remember seeing the unmistakable colour scheme of the C & A wagons, looking through the photos and write ups on here another name I recognised was Dave Welsh, good bloke Dave, another that went on with Parsons, the 3 of them worked there at the same time I was working in their workshop about 30 year ago I say.
Not that know him as I’d moved on before he started there but I also recognised a chap called Farmer in one of your photos, I’m sure he’s still there now.
Cracking thread and well done to you, your friends and colleagues that have made it an interesting and enjoyable read, most envious of your experiences, nice to read how you all worked hard, played fair and helped and looked after each other when needed.
All the best Nigel

Thanks for that Nigel, your right farmer went to Parsons and is still there now , another one from Axminster Transport was Andy Woodrow think he went there before Farmer, but Andy is retired now. I didn’t know Dave Welch went there thought he went to the dairy at Chard Junction. He must have gone to Parsons first then on to the dairy. Any input is always welcome on here Nigel.

Thanks Cliff, Yes I remember Andy, didn’t realise he was an ex Axminster man, I think I’m right in saying the last few years he had at Parsons he was doing a night trunk job driving a Merc, and yes I’ve seen Farmer recently also in a Merc, and thinking about it I think you’re right Dave wasn’t there to many years, maybe about 3 and then went to the Dairy and I haven’t seen him since.
Back then when most of the drivers that started with Parsons they were always put on a ridgid lorry first for a while but not Dave, straight on an artic and I think Andy and Clive may of done the same.
Must be something about being Chard n Axminster breed ! :laughing:

This was before the coming together and the change of Colour.

The black cats have arrived.

Cliff luxton:
The black cats have arrived.

Cliff your probably not allowed to say that nowadays, JD

Better say it’s dark out there then Buzzer, shame about the result on Sunday.

Nmp. Hope it hasn’t been posted before.

Think it would have been about 74. I pulled in here late one afternoon to ask if I could park my AEC Marshall up for the night as I was staying with my in laws who lived up towards Membury. I remember asking a big guy who was standing in the doorway. ‘Yes, of course’ was the reply. Next morning I left early as I had a lift back from my father in law who was a local postman.

Thanks for the pictures Sandway , the big guy you would have spoken to was Ken Baulch he was Peter’s cousin and ran the office really nice man, and great fun, sadly no longer with us.

New on the DAF stand at the bath and west show EDV225T 1979 I think , the last new lorry I had for Axminster.

John Dwyer drove this one loading at Cobdens Martock.

These may have been on before as I have not gone through the thread, Buzzer

CZC00053-11.jpg

Couple more, Buzzer.

Thanks John your finding as many as I’ve got.
This was all part of the same company.