Axminster transport

I had so much fun and made so many good friends in my time working here. I don’t know if the same thing happens in this day and age. I realise it is different times with all the legislation and tracking that is in place . Don’t think I would enjoy the job quite as much today.

Flick me I thought you had hibernated for the winter mate, we had the best years in the job for sure and as I posted a picture tuther day of four of ours in Castets all together breaking bread together (some were breaking wind) which sure is a rare sight nowadays, not so many companies doing the job any more Brits that is but thousands of flip flops taken over, cheers Buzzer.

It is nice to see your lorries still running all over the place John, nice equipment to do the job with as well. I did see a couple heading north through France 2 weeks ago was travelling in my car.

Cliff luxton:
Andy and Gerry drove these two back in the day.

Doesn’t the Sun visor make a difference to a motor, they look very smart :wink:

RJ

Most of our motors back then had sun visors on , and they did make them look better .

The arrival of the Leylands they came in all sizes. Peter really liked these lorries.

This is what replaced the fridges , Peter got fed up with the rat race and rate cutting on fridge work. There was a depot opened in London, and later in Birmingham. This later led to Danzas buying the company from Peter.

Hi Cliff,heres a selection of motors involved in the pallet/parcel work,Cheers Bubbs, :wink:

Thanks for that Bubbs did you work there at anytime?.

Hi Cliff,No mate,I just called in while I was in the area,both times I went was on a Saturday afternoon and Peter was there helping loading the wagons,and very kindly let me loose in the yard,Cheers Bubbs, :wink:

There certainly were a lot of those little parcel lorries at one time ,you got some good pictures Bubbs. This was loading in Space Decks in Chard.

Edgar had this from new . Unfortunately no longer with us R.I.P. old friend.

I think this was probably a load of Bibbys animal feed loaded from Bridgwater.

Been given some more photos by Peter’s wife. Thank you Gaye.
This is a bit before I started work with Peter.

This was the first lorry I drove at Axminster Transport.

Nice looking lorry, i reckon Dennis would have something to say about the sheeting though :smiley:
Whats the crac with the hole in the headboard ? Maybe a grab hole if climbing onto the body via the step as it looks like it used to be a dropside ?

Suedehead:
Nice looking lorry, i reckon Dennis would have something to say about the sheeting though :smiley:
Whats the crac with the hole in the headboard ? Maybe a grab hole if climbing onto the body via the step as it looks like it used to be a dropside ?

Might the sheet just be a fly-sheet to cover the pipes?

And might the hole in the headboard be for the driver to see the loading bay better (when empty)?

Never was very good at ropeing and sheeting , but managed to get by.
This one was before my time at Axminster.

This is a great picture .Peter the boss Mike worked in the office in Cherbourg Bernie the Manager in Cherbourg and Henri one of the French drivers.

Cliff that office worker Bernie, his surname was’nt Thompson per chance was it ? Buzzer