aec

A few from the archives…

AEC Regent Fuel-002.jpg

A grand set of AEC pictures,that Regent AEC Mk5 is lovely,they were a great wagon.Looks like a Pickford’s contract motor with the M prefix fleet number.
Interesting to see Sinclair AEC Mercury pulling a Marshalls trailer as they were both primarily in the produce/market delivery business,along with Spiers and Hartwell,all three from Evesham.

emmerson2:
Mk 5s on H plates? Old stock, or what?
Ref the article on three axles tractor unit, Hutchinson’s in Cardiff ran three, one of which was sister vehicle to the one shown in the photo, bought secondhand, reg no FVN 131D. The other two were bought new, H & J reg.
Interestingly, and I don’t know why, two of them had 9.00x20 tyres on the front, and the last new one had 10.00x20s, otherwise they were identical.
We also had Marshal 6 wheel rigids with the 760 motor in them. Great tools, they were.

I have just sent you a PM ‘emmerson2’!
Check your inbox.

coomsey:
Bit of a project !? nmp

Put a battery on it and point me to the M25 :smiley:

I were just thinking how things have moved on since 60s and 70s.I saw a Volvo unit a few weeks ago that could be locked with a remote control.
When I had a MK3 and a MK5 at A E Evans I used to take door handles off when parked up,much to the amazement/amusement of other not so fortunate drivers with Swedish stuff. :laughing: :laughing:

Chris Webb:
I were just thinking how things have moved on since 60s and 70s.I saw a Volvo unit a few weeks ago that could be locked with a remote control.
When I had a MK3 and a MK5 at A E Evans I used to take door handles off when parked up,much to the amazement/amusement of other not so fortunate drivers with Swedish stuff. :laughing: :laughing:

There was a driver with Hipwood & Grundy on one of the old Leyland Octopus black oil tankers they had who removed the steering wheel and took it into the digs with him when he parked up!

gingerfold:

Chris Webb:

There was a driver with Hipwood & Grundy on one of the old Leyland Octopus black oil tankers they had who removed the steering wheel and took it into the digs with him when he parked up!

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Chris Webb:

gingerfold:

Chris Webb:

Hiya,
Chris some of the crap I drove in my early days I would have gladly
handed a prospective “tea leaf” the keys to the heap and waited a
couple of hours before reporting it gone. lol.

This Mk 5 AEC Mammoth Major then I drove when working for my late great Uncle Isaac Smiles the founder of this famous Smiles for Miles Co. Was a bit slow at 37 MPH, But it could pull like a train, The good old days in my book, Regards Larry.

harry_gill:

Chris Webb:

gingerfold:

Chris Webb:

Hiya,
Chris some of the crap I drove in my early days I would have gladly
handed a prospective “tea leaf” the keys to the heap and waited a
couple of hours before reporting it gone. lol.

Aye Harry,this MK3 was without doubt one of the worst wagons I drove,thankfully for just one week.9.6 with 5 speed box,regular driver was on holiday the chuff,no consideration for his fellow drivers. :laughing:

Come on Chris, I couldnt have been that bad Eh :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: , You are still here to talk about it, AECs were a very popular motor in those days.AIMO, They allways had good brakes, & Good light geared steering, The MK 5 That I drove was a great bit of gear IMO, My uncle Isaac had 8 of them in the late 50/s into the 60s, Happy days, Regards Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:
Come on Chris, I couldnt have been that bad Eh :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: , You are still here to talk about it, AECs were a very popular motor in those days.AIMO, They allways had good brakes, & Good light geared steering, The MK 5 That I drove was a great bit of gear IMO, My uncle Isaac had 8 of them in the late 50/s into the 60s, Happy days, Regards Larry.

:smiley:
Aye Larry I know they had good brakes and quite light steering but this particular MK3 was a pig compared to the other MK3s we had at Sheffield.The MK5s were a big step up from the MK3s and were a great wagon like you say,I got my regular MK5 Mammoth Major early 1971 and I loved it,it was 6 years old then.,ex Harold Woods.

It’s my opinion that there’s never been a better motor on the road than a day cab, Mk V MM 8 wheeler. Pop a 4000 gallon tank on the back and i’ll go through the arthritic pain barrier and start Monday morning. :wink:

grumpy old man:

coomsey:
Bit of a project !? nmp

Put a battery on it and point me to the M25 :smiley:

Battery? No chance - we’ll give it a ■■■■■■ and you can leave it running. :smiley:

grumpy old man:
It’s my opinion that there’s never been a better motor on the road than a day cab, Mk V MM 8 wheeler. Pop a 4000 gallon tank on the back and i’ll go through the arthritic pain barrier and start Monday morning. :wink:

:smiley:
Here you are,complete with 5 x 800 gallon s/s tank.Start int morning,0400. :laughing:

A well-looked after Marshal

I was on the A170 just before you get into Kirbymoorside yesterday on route from Pickering when i got a quick glimpse of a Tin Front Mandator or Mercury parked up a narrow lane on the right hand side. It was partially sheeted up but i could see it was red and looked like it had a trailer on … any info ■■?

Graham, how come the Mandator is badged as a Leyland ? I know its a left hand drive but AEC had a foot hold in Europe.

DEANB:
Graham, how come the Mandator is badged as a Leyland ? I know its a left hand drive but AEC had a foot hold in Europe.

Hello Dean, it was probably being exported to Israel. AEC had supplied some of the Arab states with large orders of buses; Leyland was strong in Israel, so it would have been badged as a Leyland for political reasons. I’ll have a look at the chassis build details and see if I can pin it down. One or two other export markets also had AEC’s badged as Leyland.