aec

moomooland:

The Woods Aec has a Bradford registration i think (Mr Webb will correct me if i’m wrong) but i’ve never heard of the firm

In Portugal with home-made cab.

The old firm, Buckley , North Wales

IMG_1334.JPG

First day out

Knowledge lane

100DEC1B-1044-4ACE-B182-607671C46177.jpeg

I’ll take an AEC (any model) before a modern ‘Euro box’. And I don’t care how many HP the Euro box has got. My lad keeps coming visiting and rambling on about 750 hp Volvos he’s been driving…aye, well stuff it lad…I’ll take a nice Mk V AEC. :unamused:

steelboyf10:
First day out

I wonder if that was photographed at Tillotsons Burnley i have seen similar photos

“gingerfold” This article from 1966 may be of intrest Graham.

Click on pages twice to read.

DEANB:
“gingerfold” This article from 1966 may be of intrest Graham.

Click on pages twice to read.

Hi Dean,good article about 3-axled AEC units.
A E Evans modified two MK5 Mammoth Majors,built them into 3 axled units for 32t. running. AYH 701H and BMX 746H were both based at Sheffield and I drove them both.

evans9.jpg

Mk 5s on H plates? Old stock, or what?
Ref the article on three axles tractor unit, Hutchinson’s in Cardiff ran three, one of which was sister vehicle to the one shown in the photo, bought secondhand, reg no FVN 131D. The other two were bought new, H & J reg.
Interestingly, and I don’t know why, two of them had 9.00x20 tyres on the front, and the last new one had 10.00x20s, otherwise they were identical.
We also had Marshal 6 wheel rigids with the 760 motor in them. Great tools, they were.

The vehicles had probably been re registered following surgery. The plated weight for Mammoth Minor front axles was IIRC 4 tons so only 900x 20 tyre equipment needed.

cav551:
The vehicles had probably been re registered following surgery. The plated weight for Mammoth Minor front axles was IIRC 4 tons so only 900x 20 tyre equipment needed.

Yes they had been re-registered.One of the original MK5 Mammoth Majors was 218 BGC. The surgery was done at our Barking depot and I was told both were fitted with refurbished engines,and both had the 6-speed box.To say they were running at 32t gross they both went surprisingly well I thought.I can’t remember tyre sizes. They were both used almost exclusively on North Sea Gas condensate out of BP/Amoco at Easington on Spurn Head East Yorks,running to the NCB refinery at Wath on Dearne and Immingham Storage.

Bit of a project !? nmp

Just found this:

28 years ago- the footage is older than many of the vehicles were when it was taken. Many of them look as if they have just about escaped the scrap-man’s torch, with just a rudimentary paint job before entering preservation. How many have survived until now, I wonder? The Spiers Mandator looks familiar, but I fear that many of the lorries’ time on the show circuit may have been short.

^^^^^^ Great piece of history, Thank you for sharing…

Dave.

[zb]
anorak:
Just found this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRhGpvQxnJE
28 years ago- the footage is older than many of the vehicles were when it was taken. Many of them look as if they have just about escaped the scrap-man’s torch, with just a rudimentary paint job before entering preservation. How many have survived until now, I wonder? The Spiers Mandator looks familiar, but I fear that many of the lorries’ time on the show circuit may have been short.

Well done anorak! I just itched to climb up there and take the wheel! Robert

dave docwra:
^^^^^^ Great piece of history, Thank you for sharing…

Dave.

^^^^^^^^^^ Wot he said.
I enjoyed watching that, even though most of my working life was ERF I did do quite a bit with Mk V’s and deep down I’m an AEC man.
My first new AEC (fresh out of the box) was a Marshall (5177 WY), I had a lot of happy hours with that motor.

A Matador with a Militant cab? Interesting to see the confident, the less than confident and the over confident drivers too. :smiley:

The Spiers Mandator could well have been Mr Edge and if so it was sold and “customised” .It was in excellent and original condition when Graham had it and was a credit to him.
Some great footage and some familiar tunes being played on the gearboxes

ramone:
The Spiers Mandator could well have been Mr Edge and if so it was sold and “customised” .It was in excellent and original condition when Graham had it and was a credit to him.
Some great footage and some familiar tunes being played on the gearboxes

Well, that certainly brings back some memories, I think the record attendance of AECs at a Wollaton Park AEC Rally was 146, and I’ll wager that not half of those in the video are still around now. The Spiers Mandator is well before I had mine, and I think the one shown was owned by someone from Chelmsford. Spiers actually sent working Mandators to a couple of the late 1980s AEC Rallies. I actually went with LB76 to collect the Daniel Stewart Mandator Mk.V when he bought it. We went to Daniel Stewart’s house for it, up near Ayr.