aec

A picture is worth a thousand words…

6937645759_813cdd41ce_b.jpg

gingerfold:

It looks great there Graham , i heard it had been “customised” ■■? since you sold it on something AECs don`t deserve

gingerfold:
J & J Makin’s Marshal

Mirfield town centre.

grumpy old man:

gingerfold:
J & J Makin’s Marshal

Mirfield town centre.

Beat me to it GOM :wink:

ramone:

gingerfold:

It looks great there Graham , i heard it had been “customised” ■■? since you sold it on something AECs don`t deserve

Let’s not go there Paul…

grumpy old man:

gingerfold:
J & J Makin’s Marshal

Mirfield town centre.

Correct, and something of a British Leyland product fest in that photo.

gingerfold:

grumpy old man:

gingerfold:
J & J Makin’s Marshal

Mirfield town centre.

Did Makins have a factory in North Wales? I used to stay in digs in Neath with a driver from there,he drove a 6-legger like that delivering paper products,I’m almost certain it was Makins and from Wrexham way. He told me that his Marshal had the AV760 - not derated like the Marshal Major - and it was a cancelled export order.

Chris Webb:

gingerfold:

grumpy old man:

gingerfold:
J & J Makin’s Marshal

Mirfield town centre.

Did Makins have a factory in North Wales? I used to stay in digs in Neath with a driver from there,he drove a 6-legger like that delivering paper products,I’m almost certain it was Makins and from Wrexham way. He told me that his Marshal had the AV760 - not derated like the Marshal Major - and it was a cancelled export order.

Bewick will know the answer to the paper mill question. If the AV760 was not de=rated for the Marshal then it would have to have been a 6x2 with the heavy duty double reduction rear axle. The 6x4 Marshal rear axles were too lightweight for the AV760 at full power, that’s the reason it was de-rated for the Marshal Major. (180 bhp). I had a Marshal Major 6x4 bulk tipper that I did a bit of restoration work on. A nice lorry to drive and I helped the farmer out where I kept it one harvest. Only trouble was the combine driver didn’t realise that if he filled the body with wheat or barley straight from the field before drying there was a good 20 tons on board. :open_mouth:

gingerfold:
Bewick will know the answer to the paper mill question. If the AV760 was not de=rated for the Marshal then it would have to have been a 6x2 with the heavy duty double reduction rear axle. The 6x4 Marshal rear axles were too lightweight for the AV760 at full power, that’s the reason it was de-rated for the Marshal Major. (180 bhp). I had a Marshal Major 6x4 bulk tipper that I did a bit of restoration work on. A nice lorry to drive and I helped the farmer out where I kept it one harvest. Only trouble was the combine driver didn’t realise that if he filled the body with wheat or barley straight from the field before drying there was a good 20 tons on board. :open_mouth:

If it ain’t full, it ain’t loaded!

This is my Marshal Major helping out with the 1991 harvest on 25th August that year. We were on the Gog Magog hills about 10 miles south of Cambridge, hauling back to the farm at Swaffham Bulbeck. We had put the Marshal Major on the farmer’s O Licence. The lorry was a “barn find”, having been parked-up in about 1982 when the owner became ill. It was stored only 6 miles from my home at the time. It was new in 1973 to Orledge, Agricultural Merchants, of Wincanton. I bought it in 1990, very little work was needed apart from on the brakes, due to it being stood, and the heater ducts in the cab had been home to several furry creatures who had also stored their winter food supplies in there. Not pleasant cleaning that lot up. I kept it about 18 months and sold it to the late Ron Miller of Aylesbury, who put it back into full time service.

The AEC Marshal Eight model came about from a suggestion by George Bambrough of Chester le Street. At the time the standard six wheeler Marshal had a maximum gvw of 22 tons (as did all six wheelers), so George suggested the addition of a second steer axle to take the gvw to 24 tons, the commonest and lowest eight wheeler gvw at the time. For about 0.5 tons extra tare weight he gained 1.5 tons payload. When six wheeler gvws were increased to 24 tons, the Marshal Eight was discontinued. AEC would always listen to operators’ suggestions and that was one reason they had such a loyal following for many years. (Photo courtesy of Peter Davies)

And a Hillhouse Marshal Eight mixer.

Hillhouse Marshal 8.jpg

HI, Folks , J and J Makin had a paper mill in Flint North Wales ,also at Disley ,

B.Wadsworth:
HI, Folks , J and J Makin had a paper mill in Flint North Wales ,also at Disley ,

Thanks Barry,that’s where that Makins driver was from then,Flint.

gingerfold:
This is my Marshal Major helping out with the 1991 harvest on 25th August that year. We were on the Gog Magog hills about 10 miles south of Cambridge, hauling back to the farm at Swaffham Bulbeck. We had put the Marshal Major on the farmer’s O Licence. The lorry was a “barn find”, having been parked-up in about 1982 when the owner became ill. It was stored only 6 miles from my home at the time. It was new in 1973 to Orledge, Agricultural Merchants, of Wincanton. I bought it in 1990, very little work was needed apart from on the brakes, due to it being stood, and the heater ducts in the cab had been home to several furry creatures who had also stored their winter food supplies in there. Not pleasant cleaning that lot up. I kept it about 18 months and sold it to the late Ron Miller of Aylesbury, who put it back into full time service.

I always thought that the AEC Marshal,whether the tilt cab or Park Royal cabbed model were a smart looking wagon. A E Evans ran a couple,this one was at Barking - photo courtesy of Colin Knapp…

The old saying Chris…“if it looks right it is right”.

This Marshal was almost a daily sight on the A1 for many years, running potatoes from the Cambridgeshire fens to its base at Laughton near Sheffield. New in 1976 it had the later AV506 engine fitted, and it had a 16 years service life. (Quite an acceptable sheeting and roping job also).

Steetley Minerals Marshal Major

gingerfold:
This Marshal was almost a daily sight on the A1 for many years, running potatoes from the Cambridgeshire fens to its base at Laughton near Sheffield. New in 1976 it had the later AV506 engine fitted, and it had a 16 years service life. (Quite an acceptable sheeting and roping job also).

Steetley Minerals Marshal Major

I remember both companies very well being from Sheffield. The Lomas AEC was a regular sight in Sheffield Parkway market.

Chris Webb:

gingerfold:

grumpy old man:

gingerfold:
J & J Makin’s Marshal

Mirfield town centre.

The Makins Driver would be most likely to be delivering Gold and Silver rolls of Foil covered board from J & J Makins Rochdale plant to David S Smiths factory in Neath where it was turned into ■■■ packets for Benson & Hedges. We were still delivering this product during the years we ran the Makin contract.The other customer for this product was Senior Service at Ashton-u Lyne. Cheers Bewick.

We had Marshall’s at Tilcon (before my time there) and apart from the usual gearbox and head gasket problems they were liked. There were masses of spares still in the stores when I started, a complete gearbox and pistons/injector pumps, valves etc plus chassis parts, and the Central Area Stores Controller (who was my Father in Law) wanted to sell them off at cost to local od’s who still ran them. However the TM wanted them sold at the current new prices and nobody was interested in stuff that had been stored for a couple of years when they could get brand new warranted parts from Kays at Mackworth so they all went down the quarry face to make room for Foden parts.

Pete.

NMP Me first.