aec

Retired Old ■■■■:
You two had better keep yer elbows in, that Mk5 is MINE, MINE, I SAY! :wink: :wink:

Fight yer for it ROF. :laughing:
I’ll let yer know when I’m due through Macc off the ferry at Heysham. :smiley:

I’d best get meself outside a Macc Breakfast Club All-Day Special in preparation. :wink:

Retired Old ■■■■:
I’d best get meself outside a Macc Breakfast Club All-Day Special in preparation. :wink:

I’ll be in touch. :smiley:

Meanwhile here’s three MK5s for you drool over…

An ex Harold Wood Mammoth Major.Pod Robinson photo.
A 3 axled MK5 unit built from a Mammoth Major,we had two.Pod Robinson photo.
A MK5 Mandator MGY 127D ex Mobiloil,taken at Samuel Willams tank farm Dagenham Dock.Photographer not known.

evans155.jpg

evans9.jpg

Chris Webb:

Retired Old ■■■■:

A MK5 Mandator MGY 127D ex Mobiloil,taken at Samuel Willams tank farm Dagenham Dock.Photographer not known.

Hiya,
The Mandator looks a nicely balanced outfit would like go in that one.
thanks harry, long retired.

harry_gill:

Chris Webb:

Retired Old ■■■■:

Hiya,
The Mandator looks a nicely balanced outfit would like go in that one.
thanks harry, long retired.

It was designed for 32t gross running Harry,hence the axle spread.5000 gallon s/s tank and was based at our Barking depot.

Chris Webb:

Retired Old ■■■■:

Get the notes ready, I’ll take any one of them tomorrow, I’ll clock in at 05:30 and be on my way…maybe a bit of breakfast in Macclefield… :smiley:
I do like that 3 axle Mk 5.

The other 3 axled twin steer MK5 was BMX 746H,Evans built them at Barking for 32 t running on 5 axles.Based at Sheffield, they were both used almost exclusively on North Sea Gas condensate out of BP and Amoco at Easington on Spurn Head E.Yorks.You could just squeeze 5800 gallons on for 32t gross,but when the axle spread conditions were relaxed you could get 6000 gallons on 4 axles with a tilt cab Mandator up front. The National Coal Board had a refinery at Wath on Dearne and that’s where the product went as well as for storage at Immingham.
They were both nice to drive.

As we’ve got all nostalgic for MkVs, this one ticks all the boxes

SoM MkV.jpg

And another one

Flour Milling 157.jpg

And here’s Chris Webb on a dodgy :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Nice photos Graham,but it’s not me getting in that Cardiff reg’d BRS Mercury. :smiley:

I saw a photo once of a MK5 flour tanker,possibly Spillers or Vit -Be,with what looked like a longer than usual wheelbase for uprating to 26 or 28 tons,have you seen it?

Im just watching an old Salvage Hunters and they visit a Mr Sugden Smith who was a hoarder .He has an Aec Mogul and a Mercury amongst many other vehicles including a Foden.The site is at Buxton im sure someone on here knows of it and him

Chris Webb:
Nice photos Graham,but it’s not me getting in that Cardiff reg’d BRS Mercury. :smiley:

I saw a photo once of a MK5 flour tanker,possibly Spillers or Vit -Be,with what looked like a longer than usual wheelbase for uprating to 26 or 28 tons,have you seen it?

This is the one. J. W. French, which became part of Spillers.

gingerfold:

Chris Webb:

Yes that’s the one.Do you know if it was uprated Graham ?
As far as I can remember A E Evans only uprated two,both at Sheffield.

AEC publicity-001.jpg

ramone:
Im just watching an old Salvage Hunters and they visit a Mr Sugden Smith who was a hoarder .He has an Aec Mogul and a Mercury amongst many other vehicles including a Foden.The site is at Buxton im sure someone on here knows of it and him

ALLSORTS in there but nothing for sale apparently.

Chris Webb:

gingerfold:

Chris Webb:

Yes that’s the one.Do you know if it was uprated Graham ?
As far as I can remember A E Evans only uprated two,both at Sheffield.

I don’t know Chris. I joined Spillers in 1981 so by then the MkVs were just fond memories. There were still a couple of “spare” Ergo cabbed Mammoth Major Eights based at Tilbury mill, useful for going into London even at 10 or 11 years old. There was also a Guy Big J eight wheeler at the other south east mill, Millenium Mill in London Docks. That did three trips daily to Tunnel Refineries at Greenwich. The other eight wheelers dotted about the group were TL11 and L12 powered Octopus. By 1981 the tanker fleet was predominantly artics, Leyland Buffalo, TL11 and L12 engines. The bagged delivery rigid fleet was Leyland Lynx and Clydesdale. The Lynx fleet was still fixed head naturally aspirated 500 engines, and they gave very little trouble, as did the Clydesdales with the turbo charged Leyland O.400 (410 IIRC). In total the Spillers fleet in the early '80s was about 130 strong.

Spillers French MM8 B.jpg

gingerfold:
As we’ve got all nostalgic for MkVs, this one ticks all the boxes

And another one

And here’s Chris Webb on a dodgy :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

The Mercury picture looks like Aberystwth ,thank you Trevor

LBC MM8.jpg

gingerfold:

Nice photos Graham.
Who did the top one belong to?

Chris Webb:

gingerfold:

Nice photos Graham.
Who did the top one belong to?

It’s a very late Mandator and some of the last Mandators went to Shell.The trailer looks like an ex-Philips Petroleum tank, so I think that it was possibly a former Shell Mandator owned by an independent. It looks to be in good condition.

J & J Makin’s Marshal

road2.jpg