aec

Lawrence Dunbar:

Is that a Smiles AEC MK5 Larry,as I know they ran some.

Advert from a local Barking newspaper. The address was Ripple Road Barking when I worked for them 1969-79 and the phone number was DOM (Dominium) 0285,then the STD codes were introduced.

Chris Webb:

Lawrence Dunbar:

Is that a Smiles AEC MK5 Larry,as I know they ran some.

Hi Chris, Spot on, They had 3 tippers & 5 flats, Regards Larry.

moomooland:

And you can stick your modern Scanias, Mercs, Volvos, :wink: Does it get any better than this? :smiley:

PS. not you moomoo, just generalising. :wink:

Yewco at Idle in West Yorkshire

moomooland:

Yewco at Shipley. :slight_smile:

AEC Mandator Mk.V tractor unit Reg No 396 DUL operated by Shell Mex and BP Ltd.
It is pictured here parked on Radnor Street Hulme Manchester on the 23rd of August 1963.
Most of the area was completely cleared for wholesale redevelopment in the late 1960’s with an Asda store now located adjacent to this location.

Chris Webb:

moomooland:

Yewco at Shipley. :slight_smile:

Wait a minute Chris…W P Butterfield (Engineers), they were the main road tank builders in Shipley IIRC. I think they had a big joint venture with York Trailers.

moomooland:
0AEC Mandator Mk.V tractor unit Reg No 396 DUL operated by Shell Mex and BP Ltd.
It is pictured here parked on Radnor Street Hulme Manchester on the 23rd of August 1963.
Most of the area was completely cleared for wholesale redevelopment in the late 1960’s with an Asda store now located adjacent to this location.

Note the young child playing at the street end, next to a what looks like a busy road. Hell it makes me cringe to see things like that. I worked at one time with an old tanker driver who sadly killed not one but TWO children in a six month period. He was totally blameless in both incidents, the kids just ran out of the street end straight into the road. :cry:

Here’s a selection of AEC Mandator Mk.V tractor units and Mercury’s operated by Hoover that ran out of South Wales.

grumpy old man:

moomooland:
0AEC Mandator Mk.V tractor unit Reg No 396 DUL operated by Shell Mex and BP Ltd.

Note the young child playing at the street end, next to a what looks like a busy road. Hell it makes me cringe to see things like that. I worked at one time with an old tanker driver who sadly killed not one but TWO children in a six month period. He was totally blameless in both incidents, the kids just ran out of the street end straight into the road. :cry:

How on earth do you carry on driving after experiences like that? Don’t know that i could but when it’s your living…needs must :frowning: Very hard indeed.

I think it eased thing a bit when the authorities/police told him in both cases he was not at fault in any way. The old lad struggled for a few months but it gradually eased. Not only old Cliff was affected, all the depot was very subdued and quiet for many weeks.
The driver was Cliff Wainwright, he was unmarried, he passed away quite a few years back.

AEC Matador recovery truck operated by Stewart & Ardern of Wembley

Put these on before on the Past and Present.Late 50’s I think but could be wrong.Lorry Driver of the Year Fort Dunlop

Tony

Great old photo’s there by rastone and moomooland. I have visited the Hoover factory in Merthyr Tydfil many times. I actually worked at the Stewart & Arden building, but it was a Henley’s Bedford dealership back in 1984 right off the N.Circular rd.
Thanks for the memories.

moomooland:

That’s a great photo of an AEC Marshal,taken in Spitalfields Market.Aberdeen and Stanton are still trading according to Google. :smiley:

moomooland:

Hi Paul, What a great picture. It reminds me of my days with Robert Baillie Transport
in the old fruit & veg wholesale market in Swan Street, Manchester, handballing up to
3000 trays of Guernsey Tomatoes, or a full shoot of onions from Spain on a MakPak.
Whose is the AEC lorry with the Burnley number plate ? Kind Regards, Ray.

moomooland:

“A picture is worth a thousand words…” so much in that photo reminds us of what the job used to be.

The nets of onions also reminds me of a load of David Brown tractor front loader booms and buckets for export that I took to Newhaven Docks, also on an AEC Marshal. After a very quick tip, by dockers standards in the early 1970s, I went into the Mainland Markets Deliveries hut that was on the docks to ask about a back load. The traffic manager told me to go back into the shed I had just come out of, where there was a considerable amount of Spanish onions on pallets. I had to load 10 tons for Manchester market and 4 tons for Blackburn. So I thought, nice easy load, forklift loading. But no, the forklift remained in the corner of the shed, it was a handball load. Some union dispute about the forklift putting men out of work.