aec

robert1952:
This Belgian AEC looks as if it might have been right up my street - ie an enjoyable drive!? Robert :slight_smile:

That is a fair size sleeper there, looks as if it would have a decent size bed in it! Regards Chris

Ex-Tipper/Tanker maybe! Regards Chris

I have worked on engines in fixed cabs before and of course some of the jobs are not particularly easy. But yesterday’s job has to take the biscuit. Quite simple really an AV 590 with a noisy top end. As many will know AEC engines are prone to the tips of the pushrods coming unsoldered which makes an unholy noise. But this was in a bus - a Regent V and one modified for one man operation so the bonnet is altered and hence lower. What an uncomfortable and awkward job to do. But since I was working alone I decided the easiest way to set about readjusting the tappets was to dive underneath and set the engine on TDC 1/6 to get a starting point. Wrong - in their ‘infinite wisdom’ AEC decided to mount an exhaust downpipe mounting bracket to the rear of the bellhousing/sump thus obscuring a proper view of the flywheel and the timing pointer. Fine, but in order to remove this bracket… you need to take the ■■■■■■■ engine out because the bolts are fitted from the rear and there is not enough clearance between their heads and the banjo cross member which is sandwiched between the engine and the gearbox!

Looking more closely, the rear cylinder head will not come off either unless the entire engine front cross member is removed so that the angle of the dangle now allows the head to clear the studs before it hits the body front bulkhead.

Ease of maintenance is often furthest from some ‘designers’ minds I’m afraid, like the pillocks who design luton bodied horse boxes and then don’t provide any means of tilting the cab without major dismantling of the Luton flooring! Not intending to drag this thread off topic but like you I have had a few awkward trucks in the past. The BMC FHK’s with the underslung 5.7 engine and fixed FFK type cab required the cylinder head removed from between the top chassis rail and the cab lower base, so it was a case of wheel removal, unbolt the nearside cab mountings and jack the cab up slightly, remove every manifold stud from the cylinder head and then it was just possible to slide the head out through the gap. Then it was ‘fun’ extracting the cylinder liner’s. The three piece sump was almost as awkward to remove. Possibly why (along with the Bedford TK/KM) I have had back problems for most of my adult life! :unamused:

Never did much on AEC’s myself, Tilcon had Marshall’s but they had gone when I started there in 1975. There was still a stores stocked with engine and chassis parts though, when they changed over to Fodens they all went on the quarry tip. :open_mouth:

Pete.

Portuguese locally cabbed AEC Mammoth Major :confused: Regards Chris

Well-worked Mandator. Regards Chris

Netherland Mogul with trailer.

One of Qualcast Crane Foundry Wolverhampton AEC’s in Sweden,Cheer’s Pete

Trip3.jpg

RAF Refueller
S for Sugar was obviously a lucky aircraft look at how many raids she’s been on

adr:
Very smart South African Mammoth Major :sunglasses: Got a bit of a Scottish theme going on with the Company name/Livery? Regards Chris

Good day all
The company I worked for in Derby West Aus was called Clan Contracting and its original owner was a man by the name of Jock Pontin and before coming to Aus he had a company in South Africa so I.m wondering if there is a connection with this AEC,I know he started the first freezer cartage run across the African continent but was forced to leave Africa by the Mau Mau terrorist group ambushing his trucks and killing his drivers.
He was a dour pipe smoking scot but great company liked a beer which he drank with a pinch of salt per glass and I recall him telling me he worked for VW and was works rider for BMW motor cycles in the pre 2nd world war days.I certainly believed that fact when I saw him hop on a quite powerful Suziki one day and mono wheel it up the main drag in Derby at the age of 60 plus.
Regret i can’t remember his christian name but never heard him addressed any other than Jock.

Cheers Dig

Hi all,some aec pics joints used these for shunting in bsc port talbot also blue line in the steelworks

image.jpg

Anyone know what the extended grill/bumper set-up on the mixer is all about? Chris

IMG_NEW.jpg

I will make a guess that this mixer has a crankshaft nose driven hydraulic pump to power the drum. It was quite common IIRC on LAD cabs, but that was a better and neater job.

cav551:
I will make a guess that this mixer has a crankshaft nose driven hydraulic pump to power the drum. It was quite common IIRC on LAD cabs, but that was a better and neater job.

Hi cav551. Sounds good to me :smiley: . Chris

Sometimes, I read a less familiar thread through from start to finish in a leisurely fashion. I must say, I found this thread to be delightful throughout. So I’ll share this with you: I was pondering recently about what 1960s tractive unit I would choose for European work. In the end I came up with this:

An AEC Mark V Mandator - the LHD Euro-version with a longer wheelbase - with its 2AV690 engine delivering 192 bhp through a constant-mesh 6-speed 'box. The sleeper cab is courtesy of Bollekens of Belgium. Picture below. Robert :smiley:

robert1952:
Sometimes, I read a less familiar thread through from start to finish in a leisurely fashion. I must say, I found this thread to be delightful throughout. So I’ll share this with you: I was pondering recently about what 1960s tractive unit I would choose for European work. In the end I came up with this:

An AEC Mark V Mandator - the LHD Euro-version with a longer wheelbase - with its 2AV690 engine delivering 192 bhp through a constant-mesh 6-speed 'box. The sleeper cab is courtesy of Bollekens of Belgium. Picture below. Robert :smiley:

Hey Robert, nice pic I think this had already the 760 engine 220hp, the last had 240hp (SAE).
I shoud have to look in my brochures.
But Europian work, it would be a lack of service, Leyland would have been a little beter.
Pic of the high days.
And the read one is still waiting and waiting about 20 jear and more restauration, it was new as a BP petrol artic.
Most of the last went beginning the '80’s, piles high engines and cabs and so on for scrap. :cry: :cry:
And it had a belgian built chassis. :laughing: :laughing:
Eric,

tiptop495:

robert1952:

Hey Robert, nice pic I think this had already the 760 engine 220hp, the last had 240hp (SAE).
I shoud have to look in my brochures.
But Europian work, it would be a lack of service, Leyland would have been a little beter.
Pic of the high days.
And the read one is still waiting and waiting about 20 jear and more restauration, it was new as a BP petrol artic.
Most of the last went beginning the '80’s, piles high engines and cabs and so on for scrap. :cry: :cry:
And it had a belgian built chassis. :laughing: :laughing:
Eric,

Cheers Eric! I always enjoy your contributions, mate. Robert

Great Dorset. Chris