aec

This MK3 of A E Evans was photographed by Arthur Ingram at Arrow Bulk Liquids yard in Hull about 1968.TGU 391 fleet 137 was ex Shell Mex and BP and in 1970 when I first started at Evans it was the first motor I drove there,Sheffield depot.Not a bad old tool with 9.6 engine and 6-speed box.
No wonder I’m part bloody deaf. :laughing:

I presume the raised bit on the top of the sleeper was for ventilation?

The wagons happen to be AECs, but what a nostalgic picture, British Industry scenes like this will sadly never be seen again!

IMG_0014.jpg

3300John:
Hiya… this AEC belongs to a pal of mine…the photo was taken at the AEC90 show by Bill Clowes
and is one of his collection its quite a rare machine… it should be at the AEC100 next year.

John

hi john what a cracking looking lorry i would love to have one of those regards martyn.

Heres the other four of Smiles for Miles AECs, all ran South Wales in the 60s, Happy Days Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:
Heres the other four of Smiles for Miles AECs, all ran South Wales in the 60s, Happy Days Larry.0

I see you knocked a fog light off yours Larry,careless bugger !!! Cheers Dennis.

Bewick:

Lawrence Dunbar:
Heres the other four of Smiles for Miles AECs, all ran South Wales in the 60s, Happy Days Larry.0

I see you knocked a fog light off yours Larry,careless bugger !!! Cheers Dennis.

written warning i think dennis boyo. regards martyn.

Bewick:

Lawrence Dunbar:

Dennis I drove RJR349 My man Regards Larry

sammy dog:

3300John:
Hiya… this AEC belongs to a pal of mine…the photo was taken at the AEC90 show by Bill Clowes
and is one of his collection its quite a rare machine… it should be at the AEC100 next year.

John

hi john what a cracking looking lorry i would love to have one of those regards martyn.

It looks like an ex wimpey motor or am i stating the obvious?

adr:
The wagons happen to be AECs, but what a nostalgic picture, British Industry scenes like this will sadly never be seen again!

Thats a great picture of 2 Sanderson,Murray and Elder motors loading in 1 of Bradfords many mills,apparently they were a good firm to work for,here`s another picture from the same firm

AEC MM6.jpg

adr:
Nice wagon, but you certainly don’t see this type of over-head loading much nowadays!

Ah the gravity crane,used one at l/pool docks loading bales made a right b…ls of it,one old boy off millers from leigh had to put me right.embarrassing it was :blush: :blush:
regards dave

Aye those old cranes with the big steel ball, were I worked they were called friction hoists, dodgey bloody things to use, the electric motor ,only lifted as you said gravity hoists, the motor also acted as a break, The big steel balls used to hit the walls, & bits of brick came flying down///, no hard hats in those days, just awareness of what could happen, the good old days, Regards Larry

Lawrence Dunbar:

Bewick:

Lawrence Dunbar:

Aye OK then, but you’ve still spoiled the shot with that sheet “peeping” out over the “rack” and you’ve only got one wiper !!! Cheers Dennis.

Bewick:

Lawrence Dunbar:

Bewick:

Lawrence Dunbar:

Aye OK then, but you’ve still spoiled the shot with that sheet “peeping” out over the “rack” and you’ve only got one wiper !!! Cheers Dennis.

Well Dennis the wind must have blown it up, thats my opinion of course. The wipers on these Mk5s were rubbish, & the reason there is only one, I had the other one in my toolbox so when I had bother I just swapped it, simple. Regards Larry

Lawrence Dunbar:

Bewick:

Lawrence Dunbar:

Bewick:

Lawrence Dunbar:

Well Dennis the wind must have blown it up, thats my opinion of course. The wipers on these Mk5s were rubbish, & the reason there is only one, I had the other one in my toolbox so when I had bother I just swapped it, simple. Regards Larry

We’ll let you off this time Larry,the written warning is in your pidgeon hole attached to your notes !!! Cheers Dennis.PS a fine line up of Britains “finest” all the same!

Aye Dennis Smiles worked these wagons very hard , we also used to run to Trwawsfyynyd Power Station loaded both ways, a hard pull on the A4212, when you turned right a Bala, it seemed to take forever to get to the Powere Station, but one good thing about it was you could park up there & get a bed in the camp, they had army huts for the workers & a good canteen open all the time, handy for a 4 am start, Happy days Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:

They look like brand new there or very well looked after,did they ever pull trailers?

ramone:

Lawrence Dunbar:

They look like brand new there or very well looked after,did they ever pull trailers?

No they were single drive , they were got specially to run London & South Wales, also there was a time when Smiles bought a dolly for long loads, they had a turntable frame with goal posts on, that would fit on to the bodies over the back axles, & the 5 AECs had a towing jaw for towoing the dolly when not in use, I never came to anything. I was told that some silly law, meant the driver had to have a second man when towing the dolly because it was classed as a trailer, but when loaded it was classed as an artic. Regards Larry

Lawrence Dunbar:

ramone:

Lawrence Dunbar:

No they were single drive , they were got specially to run London & South Wales, also there was a time when Smiles bought a dolly for long loads, they had a turntable frame with goal posts on, that would fit on to the bodies over the back axles, & the 5 AECs had a towing jaw for towoing the dolly when not in use, I never came to anything. I was told that some silly law, meant the driver had to have a second man when towing the dolly because it was classed as a trailer, but when loaded it was classed as an artic. Regards Larry

What engine and box did they have?

AV.690. 11.3s, But only a 5 speed box 37mph, slow but good on the beechams pills,also they had good brakes, Regards Larry