aec

The turbo-charged AVT 470 and AVT 690 engines were for South American export vehicles operating at high altitudes to get more air into the engines. The AVT 690 was also used as an industrial unit in aircraft starting sets and for some pumping applications. The AVT 1100 was for dumptrucks as you correctly state Ramone, but it also had other applications in railcars, generators, and pumps. It was also used as power station startup units and some still survive at Ferrybridge Power Station and at a Power Station in Ireland. The latter were rebuilt a couple of years ago by two AEC experts, one of whom I believe contributes to this forum.

fryske:
Taken at great risk to life and limb before this yard was cleared earlier in the year

hi fryske where was this taken cheers Mark

gingerfold:
The turbo-charged AVT 470 and AVT 690 engines were for South American export vehicles operating at high altitudes to get more air into the engines. The AVT 690 was also used as an industrial unit in aircraft starting sets and for some pumping applications. The AVT 1100 was for dumptrucks as you correctly state Ramone, but it also had other applications in railcars, generators, and pumps. It was also used as power station startup units and some still survive at Ferrybridge Power Station and at a Power Station in Ireland. The latter were rebuilt a couple of years ago by two AEC experts, one of whom I believe contributes to this forum.

Were the AVT 470 and AVT690 not available in vehicles over here,if not it gives some support to the argument Carryfast had about hauliers over here not wanting the higher powered engines .The AVT690 @ 244bhp in 1962 must have been attractive to some hauliers over here especially the TIR men like Wyatts

I don’t know of any AVT690 engined lorries for the home market. As you say Ramone it does beg the question why dis AEC not market them here? The AVT1100 was also used for the Super Mammoth heavy hauler in South Africa, and when I eventually get ready access to my photos once again I’ll post a photo of one. (Still between permanent homes). I believe at least one special Scammell eight wheeler road train prime mover for Australia had an AVT1100 engine, but my Australian friends have mixed views about that.

gingerfold:
I don’t know of any AVT690 engined lorries for the home market. As you say Ramone it does beg the question why dis AEC not market them here? The AVT1100 was also used for the Super Mammoth heavy hauler in South Africa, and when I eventually get ready access to my photos once again I’ll post a photo of one. (Still between permanent homes). I believe at least one special Scammell eight wheeler road train prime mover for Australia had an AVT1100 engine, but my Australian friends have mixed views about that.

Thanks , i think theres quite a few questions that will never be answered on some strange decision making mainly by their
domineering other half from Lancs

foden 01:

fryske:
Taken at great risk to life and limb before this yard was cleared earlier in the year

hi fryske where was this taken cheers Mark

Near Nuneaton – all cleared out earlier this year.

Climbing the Great Orme at Llandudno

I’ve read about some Scammell Contractors in Australia that were converted into 8X4 tractor units and were used on road train work with Don Rhodes. He ran them on the infamous Woodie Woodie run in Western Australia carting manganese to Port Headland in the north of the state. They were powered by the AV1100,not the Turbo AVT1100,with a 15 speed Fuller box behind. They would have been big trucks in their day.

He’s a link to an Aussie forum with more info and pics.

hcvc.com.au/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1291930477/20

Cheers Jamie

Hello all, interesting subject, AEC engines in other applications. My pennies worth. I always had a soft spot for the French lorry manufacturers, as diverse and eccentric as our own, and the fact that some of the leading lights used British designed, or manufactured engines all the better! Working in France for a French manufacturer allowed me access to some pretty interesting vehicles and operators. Estabblisments Willeme, Nanterre Seine, had produced a very large range of vehicles powered by their own range of 4, 6, and8cylinder engines, all having a common cylinder capacity 130x170. Heavy (35tonne) plus the range was powered by the natural aspirated 518.6T 13.5litre, 190( French) or 518T6c Turbo @255 (French)HP Or special prder 518T8, 8cylinder 17litre N.A. The French market in the 60s was to put it mildly, difficult. Massive cost saving in order to survive, was essential. A short lived collaboration with Unic, (1959 to 1961) utilising Unic engines, (RB6ZU122) did little to enhance market share.Then came the collaboration with AEC. Primarily to power the heavy tractor range, but also in some applications the W6D dumper range Willeme used the AV690, which had similar power characteristics to the original 518.6T i3.5litre. One of my colleagues in the offices at Suresnes had for many years worked for Willeme, and had a love for the AEC option. He told me that a number of 35tonne H610 3.3metre WB tractor units fitted with the “Cottard” Horizon sleeper cab had as their power unit the AV690T Turbocharged 690 engine, twin plate clutch, ZF 6speed gearbox. Again a direct replacement for the 518T6c. I think it was about 1981, when I came across a rusting example in the yard of Circus Pinder. The absorbtion of AEC into Leyland resulted in BMC vehicles being sold with the Willeme name on the front, and succesfully! Some survive to this day. Willeme closed in 1970, what a lost option for AEC, but of course they were lost into Leyland before any potential could be realised. A final note, my old and much respected friend, the late Antoine Lohec, who with true individuality created his own lorries, contacted AEC as a possible engine supplier, but was sent a Leyland 680 to try!! He did not like their attitude, so bought no more! Hope I have not bored you, Cheerio for now.

Saviem:
Hello all, interesting subject, AEC engines in other applications. My pennies worth. I always had a soft spot for the French lorry manufacturers, as diverse and eccentric as our own, and the fact that some of the leading lights used British designed, or manufactured engines all the better! Working in France for a French manufacturer allowed me access to some pretty interesting vehicles and operators. Estabblisments Willeme, Nanterre Seine, had produced a very large range of vehicles powered by their own range of 4, 6, and8cylinder engines, all having a common cylinder capacity 130x170. Heavy (35tonne) plus the range was powered by the natural aspirated 518.6T 13.5litre, 190( French) or 518T6c Turbo @255 (French)HP Or special prder 518T8, 8cylinder 17litre N.A. The French market in the 60s was to put it mildly, difficult. Massive cost saving in order to survive, was essential. A short lived collaboration with Unic, (1959 to 1961) utilising Unic engines, (RB6ZU122) did little to enhance market share.Then came the collaboration with AEC. Primarily to power the heavy tractor range, but also in some applications the W6D dumper range Willeme used the AV690, which had similar power characteristics to the original 518.6T i3.5litre. One of my colleagues in the offices at Suresnes had for many years worked for Willeme, and had a love for the AEC option. He told me that a number of 35tonne H610 3.3metre WB tractor units fitted with the “Cottard” Horizon sleeper cab had as their power unit the AV690T Turbocharged 690 engine, twin plate clutch, ZF 6speed gearbox. Again a direct replacement for the 518T6c. I think it was about 1981, when I came across a rusting example in the yard of Circus Pinder. The absorbtion of AEC into Leyland resulted in BMC vehicles being sold with the Willeme name on the front, and succesfully! Some survive to this day. Willeme closed in 1970, what a lost option for AEC, but of course they were lost into Leyland before any potential could be realised. A final note, my old and much respected friend, the late Antoine Lohec, who with true individuality created his own lorries, contacted AEC as a possible engine supplier, but was sent a Leyland 680 to try!! He did not like their attitude, so bought no more! Hope I have not bored you, Cheerio for now.

Havent bored me,but i think from what i`ve read in the past that Leyland pushed their own range abroad .AEC started to work with Willeme before the “merger” in1962 but Leyland pulled the plug

Slightly different cab on this one, with the extra window in between the side window & back of cab, coachbuilt cab maybe?

Hiya… this AEC belongs to a pal of mine…the photo was taken at the AEC90 show by Bill Clowes
and is one of his collection its quite a rare machine… it should be at the AEC100 next year.

John

adr:
Slightly different cab on this one, with the extra window in between the side window & back of cab, coachbuilt cab maybe?

I might be wrong,but I think those cabs were built by RTS,the company that built the MK5 cabs with “suicide doors”.

Nice wagon, but you certainly don’t see this type of over-head loading much nowadays!

IMG_0005.jpg

Always amazed me how many bricks the blokes on this work could pick up in 1 go handballing off!

This looks as though it’s done some work,one of D and J Sibbald’s MK5 Mandators,a firm which I believe is still going.

Graham Edge pic. Classic Scottish fish wagon!

Hiya …there’s a photo of that MK5 AEC of sibbald’s laying in bits in there yard but she looks really rough
John

Heres one RJR349, One of five owned by Smiles fo Miles, supplied by Oswald Tillotsons Burnley, They ran South Wales most of their working life, fire bricks down & steel back up, Great motors in the 60s, Regards Larry

A couple I drove for A E Evans,both great Peter Davies photos.
962 BLB was ex Mobil and EWR 490C ex Harold Wood on the Fina contract.