Adblue alternatives

nsmith1180:
I was under the impression that watering down the AdBlue would just increase consumption. At least thats what Renault told me.

I wouldn’t put in anything but the right stuff though. The boss could tell you to ■■■■ in the tank to save money but you can guarantee that when the truck goes wrong he will get the bill and you will get the P45.

It will indeed increase consumption …With it now diluted ,it can’t reduce the NOX, so it will inject more and continue to do so till it puts on a warning

Bit off topic(ish) … but until I read on here I honestly had no idea what AdBlue was.

Guess that’s a problem learning in older trucks which don’t have it fitted.

Glad I have read this thread and others because if hadn’t and came across one I wouldn’t have had a clue to check it or what it was!

Still unsure what to do if out and about and it needs some?

Where do you get it from as cant say seen it in many garages near me and I purposely look now

The really big truck-stops have an AdBlue pump next to the diesel pump.

Other places sell it in (very expensive) containers.

Expect it to become more available and cheaper as more trucks need it, and now some diesel cars do too .

Don’t dilute it, and don’t use other containers (watering cans etc) to transfer or store it. Treat it at least as carefully as you would engine oil.

Contaminated AdBlue will cause massive problems that cost £000 to put right.

dcgpx:
Bit off topic(ish) … but until I read on here I honestly had no idea what AdBlue was.

Guess that’s a problem learning in older trucks which don’t have it fitted.

Glad I have read this thread and others because if hadn’t and came across one I wouldn’t have had a clue to check it or what it was!

Still unsure what to do if out and about and it needs some?

Where do you get it from as cant say seen it in many garages near me and I purposely look now

If you ever run out of ad blue you will get an engine derate the next time the vehicle comes to a complete halt…It will not derate you whilst moving,as that isn’t safe …No damage will be done to the engine ,the ad blue system etc…As soon as you refill all warnings will disappear and everything will be back to normal…A fault saying you ran out of ad blue will be stored in the system memory…

Read as much, one more to check before setting off . How much adblue does say a full tank use? Is it 1 full adblue to a full tank of fuel?

The use isn’t really set in stone as per diesel to adblue …A vehicle doesn’t use ad blue until certain criteria is met…Exhaust temp before and after the CAT have to be above 200 degrees c…You have to be working the engine hard ie pulling fully freighted uphill ,as that is when most NOX is produced ,ad blues main role is to reduce NOX ,so if you aren’t producing NOX you won’t use ad blue…You will never use ad blue if you are going down hill…Like everything careful driving will also reduce ad blue usage …A vehicle on city multi drop will use very little compared to the same vehicle on hub to hub motorway driving ,mainly due to the city multi drop vehicle rarely if ever getting the exhaust up to temp along with other parameters

As supplied in standard spec most trucks on normal work will use at least one tank of fuel before you need to top up the AdBlue.

Trucks with huge (1500 ltr) diesel tanks may need AdBlue topping up more often than they do refuelling if you run the diesel tanks to empty.

With the exception of Volvo, some Scanias and Iveco, Euro 6 trucks use less AdBlue than SCR Euro 4 and 5 ones do. This is because at Euro 6 most trucks use ERG as well as SCR to control NOx.

AdBlue should be consumed at about a ten to one ratio compared to diesel. MAN’s have AdBlue tanks one tenth the size of the fitted diesel tank so you fill up one to one but the Merc I am in at the moment has a massive AdBlue tank and will last two weeks between fills.

Its also going to become more common. Vauxhall have launched an engine for the Insignia and Zafira which takes AdBlue. Its a new 2.0 CDTi with more power and Euro6 emissions. Most companies will follow their lead eventually.

Mercedes cars and VW have been using it in certain modes for a few years now

Thanks for the clarification guys.

Cant wait till someones car derate power though!

Somehow cant see that happening other than an engine fault light!

Its euro law ref the emissions and the derate ,so cars will have to comply as well…I know the WV sharan has ad blue ,a I know a lad who has one with said system