Ad-blue

Thinking of renewing my 8 wheel tipper but im a bit worried about some of the horror stories about adblue, has anybody had a truck without problems.

I’ve not had any problems with adblue !

No problem’s either with Merc Actros. Volvo seem to be hit and miss with adblue thou.

No problems with ad-blue here either (Euro 4 Actros 2548’s).

From what I have seen/heard, the majority of problems with ad-blue seem to stem from mis-handling of the stuff in the first place. Ad-blue is not tolerant of moisture or other contaminants, and the systems on the truck even less so - look after the liquid and it’s recepticles, and you should be relatively trouble free.

We had trouble but it was caused by the drivers not wiping the ad blu nozzle before use - one was just dropping it on the floor and it was picking up dirt and stuff - this was then being flushed into the ad blu tank blocking the pump and injectors
since we taught him not to do it we have had no problems
regards
Steve

no probs with adblue on a stralis euro5 500 ,ive had it for 12 months

How long has Adblu been around? And what’s it for? Increased fuel efficiency or cleaner emissions? I told you I’ve been out of the industry a few years… :blush:

ad blue is for cleaner emisions to cut the nox levels down.

Thanks, I’ve seen that it’s in a separate tank, is it purchased from forecourts, or do you fill up in the yard? And what happens if you run out when your away? Geez - I feel like a newbie :blush: But I don’t want to sound like one when I start applying for work :wink:

It looks like water, and has no strong odour. It cystallizes in air over time making a gunky mess on the spout and anywhere that it is spilled.

It’s injected into the exhaust to react with/neutralise the bad chemicals being released into the atmosphere. It has naff all to do with any combustion processes or engine performance.

I have always been dubious of whether or not it is a complete white elephant and wouldn’t be surprised to see its disappearance when we move up the euro emission regulations a bit further, as truck manufacturers magically find other ways to reduce emissions over the next few years.

If you run out whilst on the road, it technically should have no effect, but I have heard rumours that more modern trucks introduce a kind of “limp mode” if the adblue runs out. Though I have not confirmed this for myself. Could just be hearsay.

It’s cheaper to buy it in bulk, or better still have a tank in the yard. Buy it at garages and services and you are getting ripped off.

I’ve driven an 06 actros and 07 Daf XF which had no negative effects on running without adblue. I think the actros had a warning light on the dash.

Thankfully we no longer have trucks that use it. It wasn’t a major headache as a driver, just a minor pain in the backside having yet another thing to fill up.

Thanks for that, another little thing learnt :slight_smile:
By the time I get a job I might actually know what I’m doing beyond making the truck bend into tiny spaces :wink:

Thanks for the replies, seems to be one of these things you only hear about if someone is having a problem with it.

I have had probs with mine, volvo it has been a pain …expensive pain I will not buy another truck that has anything to do with adblue.