Volvo FH V4 adblue

We are having trouble with a couple of our V4 FH’s and adblue, insofar as they keep going into derate.

Been told today that V4’s don’t like ‘standard’ adblue, and that they require a different spec of adblue to keep them sweet.

Is someone pulling our ■■■■■■■

Ken.

I’ve driven 3 V4’s and all 3 of them have been run on ad-blue from either a generic IBC or from the pumps at garages so I have a funny feeling your ■■■■■■ is being pulled

Adblue is Adblue providing you purchase it from a well know supplier and keep the filling system clean,ie no dirty old cans or watering cans etc. Are you maintaining the system changing filters at recommend intervals??
Could well be a bad run of luck, Euro 5/6 is always a painful on any make of truck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve got a 67 plate FH 500 with 120 kms. Took it into Volvo at Trafford Park a fortnight ago because the ’ Torque reduction ’ warning in 9 hours came up on the dash. ’ Incorrect adblue consumption ’ (or something similar).

Ended up needing a new pump & wiring loom! :open_mouth:

I spoke to the mechanic and he said he was sick to death of adblue issues on FH4’s.

As beaver said, this isn’t a new problem. Volvos fitters are sick to the back teeth of them. My 64 plate at Efs ended up with 7 pumps, 2 nozzles, 3 dosing valves, god knows how many sensors and the ecu changed. Never cured it. My 67 plate 540 went down once, turned out to be a blocked pump this time. The fitter at Ipswich said that seemed to be the common theme for the newer ones. The consumption on the euro 6 engines is horrific too. Would suggest to me an overdosing issue if the pumps are blocking and the consumption is high. But what do I know, I’m just a driver

Bit like Ford trying to sell me there "special " adblue in a fancy bottle for my pickup, err no thanks it gets the same 25ppl stuff that goes in my truck , some people actually fall for it as well

eagerbeaver:
I’ve got a 67 plate FH 500 with 120 kms. Took it into Volvo at Trafford Park a fortnight ago because the ’ Torque reduction ’ warning in 9 hours came up on the dash. ’ Incorrect adblue consumption ’ (or something similar).

Ended up needing a new pump & wiring loom! :open_mouth:

I spoke to the mechanic and he said he was sick to death of adblue issues on FH4’s.

Same, only had mine just shy of 3 months and the adblue pump was replaced, had to have a new ecu for the dash within a week of having it and also a night heater as it came with one that didn’t work :unamused:

Just do this
mobileecotuning.com/adblue-removal/

Or diy
m.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_mwBann … noapp=true

chaversdad:
Bit like Ford trying to sell me there "special " adblue in a fancy bottle for my pickup, err no thanks it gets the same 25ppl stuff that goes in my truck , some people actually fall for it as well

can i ask where you gettin adBlue for 25ppl??

LL79:

chaversdad:

The diesel fairies have gone green,and now sell adblue :smiley:

biggriffin:

LL79:

chaversdad:

The diesel fairies have gone green,and now sell adblue :smiley:

ohh…needed to google that lol

biggriffin:
Just do this
mobileecotuning.com/adblue-removal/

Or diy
m.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_mwBann … noapp=true

And then get fined to hell when VOSA catch up with you or even worse, have your O license reduced or removed. I take it you’re unaware of the TV programme that was on recently.

To those that are having problems can I ask - is the adblue tank down behind the exhaust or mounted up in below the cab ?
Have to say I have a FH4 18 months old with 204000 kms on it and the adblue system has never given any trouble . Adblue tank is up in below the cab and was wondering does the heat from the exhaust mean more trouble for the chassis mounted tanks ?

beefy4605:
To those that are having problems can I ask - is the adblue tank down behind the exhaust or mounted up in below the cab ?
Have to say I have a FH4 18 months old with 204000 kms on it and the adblue system has never given any trouble . Adblue tank is up in below the cab and was wondering does the heat from the exhaust mean more trouble for the chassis mounted tanks ?

Mine is mounted just behind the cab, there is a little flap in my o/s wind deflector to get at the cap. I think the older ones are mounted on the chassis near the exhaust, but based on the fact that it has got no better at all with the newer ones, I would suggest that it is just simply a crap system.

I’ve had a new ’ issue ’ today with mine :neutral_face: The lane departure and anti-collision has decided to throw an amber up on the dash :imp: I normally disable it all anyway, but it’s saying there is an electrical fault so back to Volvo we go…

eagerbeaver:
Mine is mounted just behind the cab, there is a little flap in my o/s wind deflector to get at the cap.

Same as mine then .
I’ve had a sensor replaced on the washer bottle after it started telling me it could not measure the washer fluid .
The electronic handbrake had to be replaced as well for some strange reason and thats it. (500 hp euro6 version )

Are people giving the system time to purge through when shutting down ? You’ll hear the adblue pump whirring and squeaking for a few moments after you switch off . Would switching off and removing keys quickly affect this ? I always let mine tick over until I eject the card to give it a chance to wind down .

eagerbeaver:
[
I’ve had a new ’ issue ’ today with mine :neutral_face: The lane departure and anti-collision has decided to throw an amber up on the dash :imp: I normally disable it all anyway, but it’s saying there is an electrical fault so back to Volvo we go…

Older trailers with bad EBS/ABS systems can throw that warning up . It will clear after you drop the trailer off .

beefy4605:

I’ve had both