Ad Blue

I’ve heard of it of course,but never had to use it and don’t know anything about it.Can someone give me a brief rundown on it please,why when what etc;and most importantly,what happens if you don’t use it when you should.Tell you why later :confused:

Basically it is urine mixed with water which is sprayed onto the exhaust fumes to reduce emmisions.
If the AdBlue tank runs dry the engine will derate significantly in power to reduce engine emissions, however the engine will not stop.

Everytime you dont use it, God kills a kitten. Here’s the proof:

So it goes in a separate tank then ?

Yes it should do…why, was it put some where else??

YES Baggie it goes in a seperate tank look through these links
LINK-1
LINK-2
IF the abbove is not enough try useing GOOGLE
SEARCH;

Did an agency run last week,gets keys and notes and off I go,not given any other briefing.Returned wagon to the yard without refueling as per client instructions.I’ve been getting earache off the agency all week,firstly I was accused of putting red diesel in :open_mouth: then today an apology off the agency,it’s now something to do with Adblue :confused: as I said earlier,I know nowt about it,and I wasn’t told that the wagon used it :unamused: At least I know now why it was pulling like a clapped out Moggy Minor on the way back :laughing:

one person at our place managed to put diesel in the adblue tank in one truck, lorry knackerd. :exclamation: :open_mouth: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

I knew of a guy who went to fuel up at the sites pumps, filled up the washer resivoir with what he thought was screenwash [albeit in a huge container] the day driver got in went to clear the windscreen, adblue all over the screen and too ages to get it off, it smeared like a reet ■■■■■ :laughing:

it was pulling like a clapped out Moggy Minor

Dont knock the moggy minor. Mine is a black traveller, 6 wheeler and I am about to take out the 1800 diesel engine and rerplace it with a turbo intercooler 1800.

pecjam23:
one person at our place managed to put diesel in the adblue tank in one truck, lorry knackerd. :exclamation: :open_mouth: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

Ive also heard this of a fitter pal of mines , don’t know if it was ad-blue in the diesel , or diesel in the ad-blue but apparently it cost 2 grand + to put it right :open_mouth:

I know it’s nothing to do with the OP but in my youth I sold ice cream in South Wales. One summer (1962 I think) I was given a student to train for the day.

Parked the van (a Bedford) on the pumps and told him to fill it with petrol while I went to get the float. When I got back I was just going to start the engine when I thought I had better do the paperwork and asked him how much he had put in. “Less than a gallon” was the answer.

I couldn’t think why he had put so little in and asked him to show me where he put it. He lifted the bonnet and pointed at the oil cap on the rocker box. The twerp had filled the engine with petrol. God knows what would have happened if I had started it.

Classic, hope you took the micky for the rest of the day! I’ve also had a fellow driver put ad blue in the windscreen washer bottle. White frosting all over the front of the wagon and engine. I heard you can get fined £2000 if running without ad blue in it, anyone know if this is BS or not? Presumably you are breaking emissions regs if running without it. Some of the euro 4 motors don’t drop the power if your run out of ad blue so in theory you could drive it round and never put any in. I know the euro 5 ones with engine management drop the power to force you to put some in.

Ad blue uses a seperate tank, and has a fuel guage in the cab. There is a myth that you can top it up with water…DONT…I was told by a mechanic that the ad.blue stops working around the quarter of a tank, and you can run for approx 200ks…after this the ad blue starts mixing again for a further 200ks and then the engine will start to lose power and eventually shut down. The average tank will last approx 2 weeks, but depends on how much mileage you are doing, an average for my truck is a quarter of a tank of adblue = 1 tank of diesel.
When we first got our Dafs we had a makeshift adblue tank, an ibc with a hose pipe stuck in the top,l the liod was off, and the adblue got contaminated with water, this in time crystalises, and messes up the system, whereby the mixer pump (or whatever its called) will cost £5000 to replace, my boss wasnt impressed when he multiplied that by 30 trucks, and very hastily installed a proper adblue tank and pump.

You would think it was straight forward enough but I saw a bloke who’d been driving quite a while do a lot of damage to one of Cullina’s FH’s one sunday morning by putting the blue straight in the derv :unamused:

OVLOV JAY:
You would think it was straight forward enough but I saw a bloke who’d been driving quite a while do a lot of damage to one of Cullina’s FH’s one sunday morning by putting the blue straight in the derv :unamused:

It’s not unusual to hear drivers refer to it as a diesel additive, it’s been referred to as that on here several times.

Coffeeholic:

OVLOV JAY:

It’s not unusual to hear drivers refer to it as a diesel additive, it’s been referred to as that on here several times.

Some pumps have magnets fitted inside the nozzles and so are some ad blue tanks, they dont work unless the magnets come into contact with each other when you put the nozzle into the neck of the tank.
Solves the problem of puttin Blue into the diesel tank.

Magnets are a good idea if you have it in your own yard, but what about when you fill up at a bunkering site. I haven’t got a magnet on my FH so i’d be buggered if the place we used put magnets on the pumps :confused:

pugwash:

Coffeeholic:

OVLOV JAY:

Some pumps have magnets fitted inside the nozzles and so are some ad blue tanks, they dont work unless the magnets come into contact with each other when you put the nozzle into the neck of the tank.

Yes, I’ve used that type, in fact the one in our yard works that way. Pain in the arse if you want to fill a 5 litre can to keep in case of running low.