Diesel in AdBlue tank

Hi all.

Was driving down motorway today and noticed a big green sticker on side of a truck saying.

DO NOT PUT DIESEL IN ADBLUE TANK - NO.

So begs the question has any one done this or tried to do it with out realising as they where half asleep?

There are still alot of drivers who have no idea what the Adblue tank is for. A real problem especially for fleets that use a alot of agency drivers or don’t have regular drivers on the same truck.

should be fun seeing some one try that would imagine it id make a pretty good smake screen

farmer:
should be fun seeing some one try that would imagine it id make a pretty good smake screen

Or fire :open_mouth:

Surely the size and construction of the ad blue tank would indicate it’s not a diesel tank, most are made of plastic and the filler aperature might present a problem getting the diesel filler into it. Anyone with half a brain could not make that sort of error :open_mouth: but who knows!

Tiger.

pecjam23:
Hi all.

Was driving down motorway today and noticed a big green sticker on side of a truck saying.

So begs the question has any one done this or tried to do it with out realising as they where half asleep?

Bet there was a notice on the steering wheel

ROTATE LEFT TO TURN LEFT, ROTATE RIGHT TO TURN RIGHT

Tiger.

Couldn’t begin to count the number of drivers who I have heard saying Ad Blue is a diesel additive. :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: As soon as they think that then putting it, or diesel, in the wrong tank is nowt but a small step away. :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

I understand that putting diesel in the Ad Blue tank will generate a repair bill of some £7000, at least that’s what our boss told us when he supplied us with locking Ad Blue tank caps in an attempt to thwart the numpties who may do this. :smiley: :smiley:

Perhaps there should be a prize for the first t*****r to do this,
“where’s there a way, there’s usually an idiot!” :laughing:

I know a dude that works at the local DAF dealer and he was saying that a certain large company from Spalding has had more than five cases of drivers putting diesel in the Ad blue tanks. Personally I think you’ve got to be fairly stupid to do this, but hey!!!

there is a cure for the problem, buy a truck with EGR :laughing: :laughing:

that’s my plan :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

I was told that one of our drivers based in Newcastle managed to do this on one of DAF 85’s.
As said above, how he manged to get the nozzle in the tank is a mystery,
Evidently it was fairly expensive but don’t know about £7000.
To be honest, I thought that it was a diesel additive initially.

I know of a lot of drivers whom pour water into the Adblue tank and doesnt seem to make any odds… What about the long run effect?

del949:

Not ever having dealt with this stuff, and if it isn’t an additive…

…what is it■■? :blush: :laughing: :laughing:

Darby Flyer:

del949:

Not ever having dealt with this stuff, and if it isn’t an additive…

…what is it■■? :blush: :laughing: :laughing:

■■■■, basically. With a few chemicals thrown in.

So now when you’re busting for a Jimmy and the truck park is full and you don’t want to leave the truck alone in the coach bays in case you get clamped, then the Ad-Blu tank is a god send. Not sure if it’s advisable to take a dump in there though.

Coffeeholic:
Couldn’t begin to count the number of drivers who I have heard saying Ad Blue is a diesel additive. :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: As soon as they think that then putting it, or diesel, in the wrong tank is nowt but a small step away. :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

Well since we got the new Scanias arrive, they have no adblue tanks or anything and I’ve been told that it’s because the diesel we have is pre-treated with an additive that does the ad-blue’s job. I find this a little strange as I thought adblue was sprayed into the exhaust gas, fuel doesn’t get sprayed into the exhaust gas so how could a fuel additive do the same job, unless it somehow avoids getting oxidised in the combustion chamber and ends up going into the exhaust. But then we still use the same fuel in the Volvos (with adblue tanks) so that’d mean they’re getting double the ad-blue does they should be

But to anyone who can successfully fill an adblue tank with diesel, i’m impressed, doesn’t look like it’d be an easy task with a truck pump.

As far as I’ve been told the EGR engines have a facility to recycle the exhaust gases so that they get burned off in the combustion chamber. Though how anyone manages to put Ad-Blue in thier diesel tank or vise versa is totally beyond me.

How long before them stickers appear in Polish, Czech, Urdu, Swahili etc :laughing:

Scania run EGR engines unless you’re lucky enough to have a V8, Volvo are mainly SCR & therefore require Ad-Blue, the additive in question is something else entirely, it’s likely to be Low Sulfur fuel so strictly speaking nothings been added at all

Fastrantiger:

pecjam23:
Hi all.

Bet there was a notice on the steering wheel

ROTATE LEFT TO TURN LEFT, ROTATE RIGHT TO TURN RIGHT

Tiger.

You forgot
Tilt forward to go faster
Pull back to go slower

Whats a smake screen? :confused: