A1 transport,leeds

al kinnon back in normanton today with his stobart truck,same old saying he said 30 year ago when he was at A ONE ,its fuxd,soon as i saw him told my superviser i wll take the job on he is my mate he said why is he a old fuxker like you,thanks si,young superviser but very switched on,but old lads know more,but at this crossroads dept time is money keep the drivers on the the road like 30 year ago,from old lad keith :smiley:

any one remember eric woodhead [cier]

bradfordlad9999:

name rings a bell ,any more info mate

bradfordlad9999:

Chapmans maybe… sure there was a Woodhead working there but can`t remember first name.

keith 2:

bradfordlad9999:

name rings a bell ,any more info mate

did he have curly hair

any transport managers who you remember,names,good or bad,stories or chief engineers in my case the best was reg walters you never crossed him rip reg

When John Parrott ran his own company he made the foreman Ronnie Burt the transport manager so that any problems that occured were Ronnies problems. Ronnie was a self taught mechanic and a crap one at that, he put a new power steering box on for me but the idiot put it on upside down !! Also he put a heating box on that he got from Autowrex, never tested it ! After I had done a few miles the cab was like a sauna, more steam than a train. When A one bought Parrotts he was our transport manager for a short time till Hutchinson discovered what an idiot he was and he ended up serving petrol at the filling station and poison dwarf Eccles took over from Ronnie on the haulage side of things.

Archie Paice:
Archie, that’s funny because Chris Brearley also had another name too. The original Mick Moody called him Greedy Little Pig :laughing:

Hullo Malc,
Poor old Mick eh! He was right though, Chris was a Greedy little Pig, but he could always find work, you never sat around losing money, even if a good chunk of it was going to a Greedy little Pig. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

that was another dangerous weekend :laughing: messers paul richardson aka snoz. rum egg holty. chrissy joynson. taken at the englishmans brienne france on route to italy. cheers malc. :wink:

maxhagar:
When John Parrott ran his own company he made the foreman Ronnie Burt the transport manager so that any problems that occured were Ronnies problems. Ronnie was a self taught mechanic and a crap one at that, he put a new power steering box on for me but the idiot put it on upside down !! Also he put a heating box on that he got from Autowrex, never tested it ! After I had done a few miles the cab was like a sauna, more steam than a train. When A one bought Parrotts he was our transport manager for a short time till Hutchinson discovered what an idiot he was and he ended up serving petrol at the filling station and poison dwarf Eccles took over from Ronnie on the haulage side of things.

remember ronnie,yes maxhagar you are right he was a idiot,i think his wife worked there too. i think he disappeared when a one rentals started,keith

jeffrey ellener:
A blast from the past Jack Ellener loading up at Case Tractors about 1960

If this was about 1960 or after, I was at J G Fielders, and we were doing Fowler’s tractors and bulldozers in Leeds at the same time, we usualy backed into the factory from the main road and they lifted the machines on by crane even on the low loaders, the best job I had was when they were doing demo’s for the sales on land at various places outside Leeds, I loaded one and took it to the place where they were doing there demo’s, drove it off the side of the low loader, went back for another one, did the same drove it off, and spent the rest of the day in the hut brewing tea and making toast, then when they’d finnished took them back one by one, sadly they hadnt invented sleaper cabs then or I’d have been in bed most of the day. :- Jack. :wink:

Seeing the picture of Bellgate’s driver if anyone knows of him and if he wants to come to the next reunion, please feel free to ask him they were all mates of ours so the more the better.:-Jack.

Jack Graham:

jeffrey ellener:
A blast from the past Jack Ellener loading up at Case Tractors about 1960

If this was about 1960 or after, I was at J G Fielders, and we were doing Fowler’s tractors and bulldozers in Leeds at the same time, we usualy backed into the factory from the main road and they lifted the machines on by crane even on the low loaders, the best job I had was when they were doing demo’s for the sales on land at various places outside Leeds, I loaded one and took it to the place where they were doing there demo’s, drove it off the side of the low loader, went back for another one, did the same drove it off, and spent the rest of the day in the hut brewing tea and making toast, then when they’d finnished took them back one by one, sadly they hadnt invented sleaper cabs then or I’d have been in bed most of the day. :- Jack. :wink:

The first factory manafactured sleepers were built in 1921 in America, I think by Peterbilt.

thanks for the invite jack. yeah i knew a lot ov the lads from west yorks area from A1. wheelwrights. dm sunderland. potters. use to stop at jayat and brienne with them some good lads had a lot ov laughs :laughing: worked with alec kinnon and kenny cockson at stobarts think there retired now. i knew chris marshall he was at A1. keith smith . big ted from keighley. keith whittaker. they was at bellgates with us they was from west yorks area.

JohnyRose63:
thanks for the invite jack. yeah i knew a lot ov the lads from west yorks area from A1. wheelwrights. dm sunderland. potters. use to stop at jayat and brienne with them some good lads had a lot ov laughs :laughing: worked with alec kinnon and kenny cockson at stobarts think there retired now. i knew chris marshall he was at A1. keith smith . big ted from keighley. keith whittaker. they was at bellgates with us they was from west yorks area.

Hi Johny, your more than welcome, our idea is to get as many drivers who knew one-another together for a good old chat and spit some diesel like we used to too many years ago, between us we did a lot of mileage and had some good times and for those who are still with us it’s good to have a good old natter and have a pint, we usualy have a few sarnies on to soak up the beer, but as I said your more than welcome also if you know anyone else let me know that you have invited them so we know how many we need to cater for.
Regarding Alex Kinnon, I belive he’s still working, but then he will have to, he’s bought a caravan he wants to be a gypsy.
Will look forward to your reply, :-Jack :laughing:

Hi Maxhager, I knew someone would put me right about sleeper cabs if I mentioned it, also if they came from somewhere it had to be the US, but didn’t realise it was 1921, I’d like to see one to see what they called a sleeper cab in those days, I’ve spent some time in today’s US trucks when I’ve been over there, and most of them are like a bed-sit compared to ours, although the driving area is almost the same, but it’s what’s behind you that’s different, the beds will sleep two each the ones I’ve been in, with built in TVs cupboards fridges and a wardrobe, not forgetting the table, it’s sure a different world over there, the ones we use are usualy used for local work. :- Jack. :wink:

Hi Wheel Nut.That was a good picture you posted of an old pal of mine Snoz Richardson.Ive not heard from him for about 12 years when i think he was running to Greece . I first met him at Alfred Hymas .Have you any recent information on what he;s up to? Thanks

brandsbybank:
Hi Wheel Nut.That was a good picture you posted of an old pal of mine Snoz Richardson.Ive not heard from him for about 12 years when i think he was running to Greece . I first met him at Alfred Hymas .Have you any recent information on what he;s up to? Thanks

It was Johnyrose who sent me the picture, he answered Jack earlier up the post. The lad leant against Johns Bellgate motor is my old mate Rod Holt who pulled for Amos Brearley.

I didn’t realise i had put it on the sacred A One thread, but as Archie Paice had mentioned Mick Moody and Chris, it seemed to fit, such is the Trucknet search engine.

brandsbybank:

Hullo brandsbybank,
{ Iv’e been up there a few times :smiley: :smiley: } Any way Snoz, he is a good friend of my Son Kevin, we were only talking about him today in fact. Kev was saying he has sold that lovely Euro trailer that he had, he got rid of the Renault Magnum, bought an ex Stobart Volvo and as far as he knows is on Containers out of Teesport. I shall be seeing Kev again tomorrow and I shall ask him if he has any more news.
Cheers, Archie.

Wheel Nut:

brandsbybank:

It was Johnyrose who sent me the picture, he answered Jack earlier up the post. The lad leant against Johns Bellgate motor is my old mate Rod Holt who pulled for Amos Brearley.

I didn’t realise i had put it on the sacred A One thread, but as Archie Paice had mentioned Mick Moody and Chris, it seemed to fit, such is the Trucknet search engine.

it good to see other lads on this thread,more the better :smiley: keith