J&E Transport

Hi all
this is my first post :confused: have to start somewhere.
Does anyone remember or have any pics of j&e transort (Dundee and Lancashire i think) or any other now gone companies from the Dundee area

hiya,
hello wull i worked for j &e the first time in the late 1950s and again in the late 1960s they had purpose built depot’s in haslingden (main office ) and in lochee a guy called ridgeway was transport manager in the lochee depot his son phil is still in business in transport in dundee and the haslingden operation was always looked after by john entwistle the boss i always understood j &e stood for john & edna his wife his son again john was running things when i worked there temporarily the second time the last time i drove past the haslingden site looks like properities built there hope this helps no pictures never took a truck picture in my life thanks harry long retired.

thanks Harry
My dad worked for j&e transport and ps ridgway in the seventies. I was always away with him during holidays, usually lancashire and yorkshire in either an erf or eac mandator. Or sunday changovers down to jg stampers in penrith in a volvo f88.
I never thought about taking pics of any of the lorries or places id been wish i had now.
thanks for the info Harry its been a good help.

hiya,
wull i thought there would have been something about j & e surely someone must have pictures of them they had a very tidy up to date fleet, me i never took any photo’s all the years i was in the industry wouldn’t know how to use a camera born of no interest i guess although i do like seeing other people’s stuff on this site hope you get something soon,thanks harry long retired .

I too, could kick myself for never carrying a camera all these years!
I make up for it now, you better believe it!
I remember J & E used to park their vans (AEC’s, if I remember right.) in Admiral Street at Paisley Road Toll. A number of drivers I worked with at the SCWS Transport Division went to work with them, George Scott, Neil & John Jones.
Funnily enough, I was in Dundee Docks last week and was talking to an Old Dundee driver (Well, he was about my age , 61!) and we were talking about Ridgway’s and how old man Ridgway worked for J & E.
Alex

Thanks Harry and Alex
No pics yet but im cheery this topics still going.
I remember my dad being subbied to Caird Carpets and Sidlaw Textiles while at Ridgways and him being glad to get off the carpets cause he was putting on too much weight as apart from driving there was no manual work to be done.

Wull
If you come across any photos of Allisons of Dundee from private sources (not books or magazines), can you let me know as I am looking for a photo to illustrate a story I have written.
I was at C J Langs in Longtown Rd today, a regular drop for me at the moment. I used to work for the SCWS Transport Division in Glasgow, started as a boy before becoming a driver.
Last week I took a run down Arbroath Rd past the old SCWS jute works, just for Auld Lang Syne.
Alex

Hi Alex
The front of the scws building is still there but behind that they are building flats.
I think i’ve a few pics of itso i’ll email them to you
Bill

hiya,
wull is the old j & e depot in grey st lochee still there ,i used to stay in digs just along the way from there two minutes walk away handy for an early start,thanks harry long retired

Hi Harry
I’ll have a look at where i think it was and let you know