A1 transport,leeds

lol@jj72. i know what ya mean mate,i cant find a photo of the a1 trucks anywere! :open_mouth: :laughing:

come on kate share those old pikkys :laughing: :wink:

was the owner called jack robbie,or am i mistaken there? sure i heard that name mentioned some were.

maxhagar:
For all the devotees of Eddie Stobart there is a new series starting on Friday the Second of March. If its anything like the last hapless offering I think I would rather have a bath and play lighthouses!!

Its bad enough that they are sponsoring the rugby league,
I wonder if they will show the trailors that are supposedly painted up showing all the super league captains.

kojak:
lol@jj72. i know what ya mean mate,i cant find a photo of the a1 trucks anywere! :open_mouth: :laughing:

come on kate share those old pikkys :laughing: :wink:

was the owner called jack robbie,or am i mistaken there? sure i heard that name mentioned some were.

yep that was him, a proper old-skool boss he was too by all accounts - i remember a story about a driver who had a warning for having stickers and stuff on his windscreen, a few weeks later he was walking down the yard saturday morning while this bloke was dieseling up, with stickers still in window…

so the old man picks up half a brick and lobs it straight through the windscreen, which the driver points out is rather stupid because it would cost him £100 for his trouble - to which jack replied it wouldn’t cost him a penny because it was coming out of the driver’s wages :confused:

jj72:
yep that was him, a proper old-skool boss he was too by all accounts - i remember a story about a driver who had a warning for having stickers and stuff on his windscreen, a few weeks later he was walking down the yard saturday morning while this bloke was dieseling up, with stickers still in window…

so the old man picks up half a brick and lobs it straight through the windscreen, which the driver points out is rather stupid because it would cost him £100 for his trouble - to which jack replied it wouldn’t cost him a penny because it was coming out of the driver’s wages :confused:

now that is class :laughing: pmsl :laughing:

shock horror, either i was still asleep (quite possible) or an old a-one tautliner was going eastbound on a14 near thrapston on monday morning about 6am,
i’ve almost got myself wondering now if it was real… no, it definitely was

kojak, there’s another cracking story of some “goings on” in calais about 20 years back involving some a-one drivers but i’ll not post it here as it’d be a bit disrespectful - nowt criminal or unpleasant i hasten to add - PM me if you like

Against my better judgement and copious amounts of Spanish Brandy I tuned into the Eddie Stobart comedy hour ! It gets funnier and funnier even though its supposed to be serious,We had a driver trainer who was driving the wrong way up a one way street and was finding it impossible to reverse a four wheeler into a loading bay,when eventually he managed it wasnt until the second load he was picking up they suddenly had a brainwave they could increase efficiency if they stacked their boxed load two high !! Then we had the Stobart Truck Fest attended by thousands of what appeared to be Care in the Community Patients, forming long lines to pay £4 for a signed photo of a Scania with a driver. One so called trucker [ think about rhyming slang ] declared he was the most famous trucker in the UK, sadly that title is held by Peter Sutcliffe !! So all in all a wasted sixty minutes. You have been warned !

maxhagar:
Against my better judgement and copious amounts of Spanish Brandy I tuned into the Eddie Stobart comedy hour ! It gets funnier and funnier even though its supposed to be serious,We had a driver trainer who was driving the wrong way up a one way street and was finding it impossible to reverse a four wheeler into a loading bay,when eventually he managed it wasnt until the second load he was picking up they suddenly had a brainwave they could increase efficiency if they stacked their boxed load two high !! Then we had the Stobart Truck Fest attended by thousands of what appeared to be Care in the Community Patients, forming long lines to pay £4 for a signed photo of a Scania with a driver. One so called trucker [ think about rhyming slang ] declared he was the most famous trucker in the UK, sadly that title is held by Peter Sutcliffe !! So all in all a wasted sixty minutes. You have been warned !

Spanish brandy eh? must be good stuff if it gets a guy in such a state to CONSIDER running electricity (it’s expensive) through a TV to watch an ES programme.
Get a drop of Islay whisky down yerself man and banish all such thoughts ever again. :stuck_out_tongue:

now now we need to keep this site clean of any crap transport companys so lets just keep it for the proper firms that were operating and employing good old fashioned drivers that could change gear without just turning a switch on the dashboard R.I.P. A.ONE

jeffrey ellener:
now now we need to keep this site clean of any crap transport companies so lets just keep it for the proper firms that were operating and employing good old fashioned drivers that could change gear without just turning a switch on the dashboard R.I.P. A.ONE

Jeff you think like we all do, when drivers were drivers and not the poncy button pushers of today, when driving was for real men and not girls of today, when we had real gear sticks with real gearboxes that you had to use your brain when you changed gear.
When you learned how to load without loosing it off the side, when you didn’t park up every time it snowed, when you knew how to change a wheel when you had a blowout,“not allowed now by law”, when you found your way without sat navs but used your brain instead, the story could go on and on, but I think other readers who look at the site would complain that were putting new drivers down, “but really were not”, they just dont like being told the truth.
Amen, I rest my case Mlud :- Jake the old git. :confused: :smiling_imp:

While I’m on the site, I’ve yet to have any replies regarding the next reunion, do you want it about the same time, or change it to some other time in the year, or should we book it again for October 2012 when Alec Kinnon might not be traipsing about the country in his new caravan, replies would be nice to see to know that your still interested in seeing one-another again. :-Jack :wink: :confused:

Jack Graham:

jeffrey ellener:
now now we need to keep this site clean of any crap transport companies so lets just keep it for the proper firms that were operating and employing good old fashioned drivers that could change gear without just turning a switch on the dashboard R.I.P. A.ONE

Jeff you think like we all do, when drivers were drivers and not the poncy button pushers of today, when driving was for real men and not girls of today, when we had real gear sticks with real gearboxes that you had to use your brain when you changed gear.
When you learned how to load without loosing it off the side, when you didn’t park up every time it snowed, when you knew how to change a wheel when you had a blowout,“not allowed now by law”, when you found your way without sat navs but used your brain instead, the story could go on and on, but I think other readers who look at the site would complain that were putting new drivers down, “but really were not”, they just dont like being told the truth.
Amen, I rest my case Mlud :- Jake the old git. :confused: :smiling_imp:

The problem is these dreadful autos are apparently the future ive got 1 on hire at the moment and its bloody awful but what can you do.It has a mind of its own and changes gear when it feels like it ,and as for going backwards they are a joke ,its not the drivers fault that manufacturers are churning out this crap we only have to drive em.If A One was still going im sure the biggest part of the fleet would be auto boxed Volvos cos thats the way its going you have to order manuals now and to be fair the Volvo auto is by far the best on the market ,still sooner have a manual though

yes i know but how many new drivers will know how to tie a dolly knot or how to sheet up not many, especialy your steady eddie drivers

I used to pull for them in the 80’s doing Italy, good firm to work for as a owner driver, until they took over a container firm in Felixstowe which had a lot of debt.

Wheel Nut:
They used to do a lot of Italy in the early days. Proper job if you liked driving F86 Volvos through the Blanc :stuck_out_tongue:

A lot of the work was from International Tractors, Mccormick in Doncaster, although in latter days they were doing quite a lot of Hungary

Gone but not forgotten :laughing:

I agree Grumpy old man this must be the best comedy program ever I never laughed so much it can not be doing Stobarts any good showing all these so called trucker’s (Not lorry drivers as I like to think that I am) who are only playing at it

grumpy old man:

maxhagar:

Spanish brandy eh? must be good stuff if it gets a guy in such a state to CONSIDER running electricity (it’s expensive) through a TV to watch an ES programme.
Get a drop of Islay whisky down yerself man and banish all such thoughts ever again. :stuck_out_tongue:

Sorry to have to remind you all, but I’ve yet to have any replies to my request for ideas for the next reunion, it’s now March 2012, and time is rolling along and what ever I do I cant slow it down, I can only ask for your replies, do you want one or have you had enough of us all, the only call I’ve had was from Jack The Painter a few weeks ago asking how everyone was, have I any news, when are we having our next reunion, these are the questions from him, and I cant give him an answer untill I know what to say to him, or shall I arrange to meet him, let you all know when, and then all of you drop in to see him.
I’m waiting :confused: :unamused: :imp: .Regards :-Jack

WELL JACK I,LL START IT OFF COUNT ME IN STUART BROUGHTON STUART SUGDEN IAN ANDERSON LENNY SCOFEILD J MORGAN ALLAN BENETT I THINK I CAN ARANGE ANOTHER DO AT THE PRIV IF YOU WANT BUT ALL £££££££ TO BE PAID THIS TIME ? SUGGEST FIRST WEEK IN OCTOBER :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

■■ DOSE ANY BODDY KNOW WHEAR BIG ROY THOMPSON IS ■■

stuart broughton:
WELL JACK I,LL START IT OFF COUNT ME IN STUART BROUGHTON STUART SUGDEN IAN ANDERSON LENNY SCOFEILD J MORGAN ALLAN BENETT I THINK I CAN ARANGE ANOTHER DO AT THE PRIV IF YOU WANT BUT ALL £££££££ TO BE PAID THIS TIME ? SUGGEST FIRST WEEK IN OCTOBER :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

■■ DOSE ANY BODDY KNOW WHEAR BIG ROY THOMPSON IS ■■

count me in please,great firm and proud to have worked their,priv sounds good as most of lads come from Bradford more the better :smiley: ,keith

A blast from the past Jack Ellener loading up at Case Tractors about 1960

ramone:
Here`s 1 for the oldies anyone remember it?

just looking through pages and on page 36 is my dads old wagon jack ellener he got it new, joe spieght got it after my dad.

hi there all at a-one, i worked at both bradford and leeds depots.
recognise most of the names, i started at bells about 1970, went on to edwards bell, nuttals, renwicks, then on to a-one
bradford, then leeds
very hard but happy times with first class mates.
i am retired and living by the sea in north west ■■■■■■■
nice to hear from anyone who remembers me, i am in touch with dave hooley regular
try and make the next reunion
great site
frank (jock)