A1 Accident

A1 accident looks nasty.

lincolnshirereporter.co.uk/2017/ … ar-newark/

It has emerged 1 person lost there life in this accident the road was closed for around 13 hours the lorry driver had to be cut free

My son in law was caught up in this

It was…

Still closed at 23:30 with blue lights in attendance.

Plenty of people standing around giving their opinions on what happened.

It’s about time something was done with them junctions at Newark in both directions. The exit slip roads are not adequate for the amount of traffic coming off at rush hour so you get traffic backed up onto the A1. Add in to the fact you have 2 major A roads meeting at the same point the A46/A17 and town centre traffic and this is the result.
There are too many serious accidents at that spot mainly caused by people pulling in at the last minute and smashing into stationary traffic, vehicles pulling out without checking for vehicles in the 2nd lane when they want to carry on the A1 causing other vehicles to hit them or swerve to avoid them. Yes speed and lack of concentration are other factors but the junction/road lay out is a major factor.
Look at how the improvements to the Catthorope Interchange has improved things drastically on the M6.

I was on the A1 southbound yesterday travelling south about 1/2 mile before Stibbington diner I hit a pothole which almost threw me into outside lane good job no one was passing me at that point

SteveBarnsleytrucker:
It’s about time something was done with them junctions at Newark in both directions. The exit slip roads are not adequate for the amount of traffic coming off at rush hour so you get traffic backed up onto the A1. Add in to the fact you have 2 major A roads meeting at the same point the A46/A17 and town centre traffic and this is the result.
There are too many serious accidents at that spot mainly caused by people pulling in at the last minute and smashing into stationary traffic, vehicles pulling out without checking for vehicles in the 2nd lane when they want to carry on the A1 causing other vehicles to hit them or swerve to avoid them. Yes speed and lack of concentration are other factors but the junction/road lay out is a major factor.
Look at how the improvements to the Catthorope Interchange has improved things drastically on the M6.

• 1 Steve , used those exits for nigh on 12 yrs and the amount of near misses I saw , a matrix before either jct warning of qued ahead would be a start , harrowing pics :frowning:

ten out of ten for The Lincolnshire Reporter for a straightforward and informative report - even including a map and no mention of ‘juggernauts’.

Uncleskid:
I was on the A1 southbound yesterday travelling south about 1/2 mile before Stibbington diner I hit a pothole which almost threw me into outside lane good job no one was passing me at that point

Is that just past that scrapyard/car graveyard? I hit one there this morning around 5am on the way home from work and same as you it launched my car into the other lane. Couldn’t see it with it still being dark and that part being unlit, scared the ■■■■ out of me.

Hammy747:

Uncleskid:

Is that just past that scrapyard/car graveyard? I hit one there this morning around 5am on the way home from work and same as you it launched my car into the other lane. Couldn’t see it with it still being dark and that part being unlit, scared the [zb] out of me.

Yes that’s the one

r.i.p. to all who lost their lives. I read on a different report that said there was a witness to a car driver using his phone, also heard there was a car trapped under the container. not being a csi, just saying what i read.

Uncleskid:

Hammy747:

Uncleskid:

Is that just past that scrapyard/car graveyard? I hit one there this morning around 5am on the way home from work and same as you it launched my car into the other lane. Couldn’t see it with it still being dark and that part being unlit, scared the [zb] out of me.

Yes that’s the one

take it you have both reported it to the correct authorities for remedial action ?

or have you just left that to someone else ?

lincolnshirereporter.co.uk/2017/ … sh-newark/

RIP to the car driver.

truckyboy:
r.i.p. to all who lost their lives, also heard there was a car trapped under the container.

You can see what`s left of the flattened silver car under the skelly/rear axle/lift axle of the upside down unit, not a lot of hope walking away after 40 odd ton of lorry has landed on your roof.

RIP that man :cry:

Latique:

Uncleskid:

Hammy747:

Uncleskid:

Yes that’s the one

take it you have both reported it to the correct authorities for remedial action ?

or have you just left that to someone else ?

Contacted the highways agency about it via twitter, said they’d reported it to the relevant body and it’ll be looked at. They seemed thankful.

So, ill apologise now for that section of the A1 being closed for a month while they fill it in with some cheap tarmac!

If proven guilty, who’s for wanting the return of the death penalty?

:open_mouth: :open_mouth:

dozy:

SteveBarnsleytrucker:

• 1 Steve , used those exits for nigh on 12 yrs and the amount of near misses I saw , a matrix before either jct warning of qued ahead would be a start , harrowing pics :frowning:

The problem with matrix signs is they are on a whole ignored, you see drivers all the time going into the unknown after ignoring them every day.
Yes it is a bad junction, but drivers seem to ignore that fact and carry on flat out regardless.

Truck driver jailed for this incident.

weeto:

dozy:

SteveBarnsleytrucker:

The problem with matrix signs is they are on a whole ignored, you see drivers all the time going into the unknown after ignoring them every day.
Yes it is a bad junction, but drivers seem to ignore that fact and carry on flat out regardless.

Sometimes you can’t blame people for ignoring them. How often do you see them lit for miles and miles with reduced speed restrictions and warning of stuff like debris on road or whatever. Miles and miles later after passing nothing and having nothing but open lanes there’s one that says “end”. When people know they aren’t always accurate you can’t blame em.