Accident - a1 closed a46/a57

for anyone who might be driving in this area today…

The A1 northbound and southbound is closed between the junctions with the A57 and the A46 (newark) , due to an accident.

the A1 is not due to open till tomorrow morning so the info says.

hope everyone invlolved is o.k.

PART of the A1 near Newark is likely to be closed until early tomorrow because of a lorry fire.

Police were forced to close the road in both directions at just after midnight today between the junctions with the A46 and A57 as the vehicle was carrying gas cylinders.

Diversions have been put in place.

Firefighters managed to put the flames out by 5am but the road will have to remain shut for 24 more hours to allow the cylinders to cool down.

A fire service spokeswoman said it was possible they could still explode.

looks like a truck caught fire in a lay by at midnight carrying gas canisters, but the road is to remain shut for 24 hours to let them cool down :exclamation:

plus its lamar show to add to the chaos :exclamation: :exclamation:

Glad I avoided it all came back from Northhampton up the 43 then A1 to Colsterworth before using the high dyke to home.

Theres a whole heap of traffic avoiding Newark buy going to Lincoln up the A15 from sleaford. Bad plan! LOL Lincolns chaos!

We had a fire in a garage opposite our yard last year, and there was one oxy-acetalyne tank in the garage.

Although the fire was quickly put out, the fire brigade had to stay for 24 hours hosing water on to the cylinder. I have no idea why this should be, but assume that the gas inside the cylinder was alight, or was in some other way generating its own heat internally.

The local BBC news for the East mids said that the gas cyliders were dumped and set on fire by someone trying to break into a truck parked in the layby.

The A1 in Nottinghamshire is closed following a fire

Apparently it was a couple of oxy-acetalyne cannisters that had been stolen from a truck, then dumped and set on fire. According to the local news.
Problems with no diversion routes put on, meaning drivers couldn’t get around/didn’t know which way to go around.

Look at that, ROG beat me to it.

Harry Monk:
We had a fire in a garage opposite our yard last year, and there was one oxy-acetalyne tank in the garage.

Although the fire was quickly put out, the fire brigade had to stay for 24 hours hosing water on to the cylinder. I have no idea why this should be, but assume that the gas inside the cylinder was alight, or was in some other way generating its own heat internally.

Acetylene is not especially toxic but when generated from calcium carbide it can contain toxic impurities such as traces of phosphine and arsine. It is also highly flammable (hence its use in welding). Its singular hazard is associated with its intrinsic instability; samples of concentrated or pure acetylene will explosively decompose. Acetylene can explode with extreme violence if the pressure of the gas exceeds about 200 kPa (29 psi) as a gas[12] or when in liquid or solid form. It is therefore shipped and stored dissolved in acetone or dimethylformamide (DMF), contained in a metal cylinder with a porous filling (Agamassan), which renders it safe to transport and use, given proper handling.

Think that explains it. In simple english terms if one is on fire Leg it! Ive scene propane cylinders exploding and well its impressive and bloody lethal in one go. No I wasnt messing it was a fire at a gas sales place last year nr Lincoln.

I,ve seen a cylinder blow at close ish range and trust me you dont want to be anywhere near they can seriously do damage,
my father law was also a manager at a fuel depot which included gas cylinders, in his time he was also the health and safety guy for the area and i have seen several videos and pictures of the aftermath of cylinders blowing… one was on a ship in hull docks guys were welding in the cargo area and caught fire luckily guys got out ok but when the cylinder went, it blew a hole in the ships side, will get pic and scan it on …

Imp:

Harry Monk:

Acetylene is not especially toxic but when generated from calcium carbide it can contain toxic impurities such as traces of phosphine and arsine. It is also highly flammable (hence its use in welding). Its singular hazard is associated with its intrinsic instability; samples of concentrated or pure acetylene will explosively decompose. Acetylene can explode with extreme violence if the pressure of the gas exceeds about 200 kPa (29 psi) as a gas[12] or when in liquid or solid form. It is therefore shipped and stored dissolved in acetone or dimethylformamide (DMF), contained in a metal cylinder with a porous filling (Agamassan), which renders it safe to transport and use, given proper handling.

Think that explains it. In simple english terms if one is on fire Leg it! Ive scene propane cylinders exploding and well its impressive and bloody lethal in one go. No I wasnt messing it was a fire at a gas sales place last year nr Lincoln.

Not a bad explanation, well done. In essence, once heated, the acetone & porous filling start to breakdown, leaving the explosive acetylene to expand with explosive results. This can also happen if cylinders are dropped or given a good enough bang!It is then self heating. They do go off with quite a bang and I’ve seen the cylinders fly more than 5 miles from the seat of a fire!

boom
youtube.com/watch?v=Dw-_ISnOAeU

Cruise Control:
looks like a truck caught fire in a lay by at midnight carrying gas canisters, but the road is to remain shut for 24 hours to let them cool down :exclamation:

plus its lamar show to add to the chaos :exclamation: :exclamation:

I have heard from a person who told me that a few Lorry’s in the lay by were targeted by “gipyies” has he called them and that one tried to set one alight whilst the driver was sleeping.

Its all hearsay though

Now, yesterday I happened to travel down the A1 and I recall seeing 5 or 6 gas? bottles at the side of a layby. I can’t remember the exact location, but it was certainly somewhere around the Newark area. It would have been about 09.30 when I saw them. They were brown, and approx 2 -2.5feet high. There were no vehicles on the layby at the time, and thats what made them so obvious.
Could these have been the “culprits”?

so what is the blast radious then of a full tank of one of those :question: the fire service seemed to think 200m :question: do they create a “shock wave” when they explode causing windows to smash nearby tree’s to snap like twigs :question:

i hate to think what could of happened had they exploded while traffic was passing :exclamation: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

I went passed going southbound at 03:15 and the road was open (must have decided it was a bit risky after then) but I did see two fire engines with the flood lights on etc and there was only one wagon left in the layby they must have moved the others on.

Here’s what happened:

A very good friend of mine parked up in the layby where the Cromwell Cafe is - Cromwell Halt, to those who still know it by that name - and put his lock on the back of his container as usual. He had a brief chat with the guy in the tautliner next door, and went to bed.

At around midnight, he was woken by the sound of a van screeching out of the layby at high speed. 5 minutes later, the guy in the next wagon brays on his door, and he sticks his head out to see flames coming from behind his motor. Further investigation revealed that whoever was in the van had tried to cut the lock off with oxy-acetylene, but something had gone wrong and the bottle itself had ignited, leaving an almighty flamethrower coming out of the valve on top.

Long story short, the Police and Fire Brigade were called, the layby was emptied, and my mate helped to safety. The flame was extingushed and several hours later, Mel (yes, that one Greek - had to be, really, didn’t it? LOL!) was allowed to leave. The exclusion zone was brought in for 24 hours for the reasons explained above.

The wagon was fine except for the lock having melted onto the doors, the load was delivered (after an angle grinder had been sourced!), and the box reloaded. Mel is only too aware that he had a lucky escape, however. If the guy next door hadn’t got up for a ■■■■, they wouldn’t have spotted the lit bottle, and it could have exploded taking them both with it. It was sheer luck that the flamethrower pointed away from the tautliner else, again, they would have been dead men.

Out of approximately 15 people in the layby, ours was the only sealed container and therefore the only one touched. The Police think the scrotes who caused all this saw the seal and lock and assumed it must be full of tellys or similar. In reality, the load would have had no resale value on the black market at all. Ironically, the tautliner next door, which was also untouched, was full of skis and ski equipment…

Be careful out there, folks. Next time it could be you.

Scary stuff lucy :open_mouth:

With two truckstops within spitting distance each way why risk parking there in the first place. Companys and drivers are both to blame.

Imp:
With two truckstops within spitting distance each way why risk parking there in the first place. Companys and drivers are both to blame.

i think you’ll find it was the scrotes with the gas bottles who were to blame.