4x2

i have just read the post from barreoty and all i see is everyone slaging him

I dont see any personal attacks against him…

In fact if you read again I can see many people trying to ascertain wether
1, if he is genuine,
2, if he is genuine wether he is serious about running trucks,
and
3, trying to help him see that buying a truck and starting a haulage business is a lot more involved than seeing a nice truck and taking the dealers word that there is work out there for it.

Going by his posts and sketchy replies to direct, easy to answer questions that he would know the answers to if he had a proper business plan, I seriously doubt wether he will be in business very long.

If by being a little tough on him now, he starts to do the background work required to start and run a haulage business is that helping or hindering him?

Its a tough dog eat dog world out there in Owner Driver land, with no appreciation of the costs he is incuring, and no realistic view of the work available he is going to struggle from day one, taking loads at ridiculous rates just to get some cash flow. This is a forum for Owner drivers and fleet operators and it could easily be some of their work he undercuts.

It is in no-ones interest, especially his to start an enterprise in this manner

Yep! and we give such a heavy dose of realism, that he ends up the hardest nosed haulier out there and we all end up working for him :open_mouth:

carlbrum:
i have just read the post from barreoty and all i see is everyone slaging

I don’t think people are slagging him. i think people are astonished at his apparent naivety.

carlbrum:
him maybe this bloke is genuine

Maybe

carlbrum:
and all u lot can do is say u brought the wrong truck where,s ur work etc etc

Which comes under the heading of advice. What do you suggest we do? Say, well done you’ve bought the right truck, even though you have no idea of the work it will do. Don’t worry about the fact you don’t appear have any work, well done for buying a truck regardless, we all support and agree with you.

carlbrum:
i thought we all stood together and give good advice but nothing like this what happened to help and support ladies and gents

As far as I can see he has been given only good advice, where do you see bad advice being given?

Should we agree with, and support every single person who posts on here irrespective of there actions. The forums wouldn’t be worth anything as a place for advice and support if the members never questioned anything.

barreoty:
To answer one question yes I have a cpc, so I can have a fleet of trucks under my belt if requied.
I have not won the lottery, but I have saved and also got a bank loan to pay for the business and to acquire a couple vehicles.

So who’s got the O’ licence then?
Got your financial standing sorted out? Remember it’s got to stay in your business bank account and be permanently availiable.
£16,400 is a lot af cash to have sitting around doing nothing if you want to run say 4 vehicles.
As for the other comments, I can only echo the words spoken by everyone else.

You must be mad.

I now run 4 artics. 3 are brand new Daf Supers @ 480 horses.
I started officially on April 14th this year.
If I knew then what I know now - well, I’d be earning loads of dosh on agency in London like I was last year, and not paying out thousands and thousands of pounds.
I’ve not seen a days wages for myself since that date.

Good luck - you’ll need loads of it.

:confused: There is no need to have the finance in the bank, an overdraft or debts which are obtainable are a couple of the things that are acceptable.

mrpj:
:? There is no need to have the finance in the bank, an overdraft or debts which are obtainable are a couple of the things that are acceptable.

Overdraft yes - I agree. The amount must always be availiable.
Debts are not accepted.

in eighteen months of operating i’ve had to show one bank statement, that was when i applied for my o’license! the money is to show you are finacially capable to start and run a haulage business, it’s intended to cover running costs so what use would it be if you couldn’t touch it? :confused:

In sixteen years of operating I have shown financial information once, that was when I first started. The first two times I renewed the O Licence I never had to do anything regarding finance, the third time I just had to explain what I had on hand and what was available if needed, overdraft (which I don’t have) or credit cards for instance.

All I can say is that you’ve both been lucky.
This is the second time I’ve had to prove standing.
Don’t forget that any major variation in a licence or increase in fleet numbers (not above licence quota) may require standing to be proved.

Same thing when you renew every 5 years Ian. First two times I renewed the question wasn’t even asked, as far as I can remember, and the last time, which wasn’t that long ago,l I just had to fill in a bit on the form saying what I had etc.

IANYNG ALL I CAN SEE FROM UR POST ABOUT IS THAT U WANTED EVERYONE TO NO THAT U HAVE NEW DAF,S I SAY SO WHAT I BET THEY COST U THE EARTH AND U WOULD NOT DO IT IF IT WAS NOT WORTH IT MY VIEW

I think you’re probably both right… :open_mouth:

Different Traffic Areas will accept different things…eg. I know for certain that up until two years ago they would take credit card limits etc. in Hull, but not in Southampton…although the grapevine tells me that has since changed again.

Again, Southampton will let you pay drivers a mileage-related bonus, where Hull will not. Hence TEPS had to change their Hull pay system. And as for Teesside…we can be paid mileage as our main wage here, something which would make other TCs blanche with horror!

Carlbrum…be careful you don’t cross the line re:personal attack. I don’t read IANYNG’s post that way at all, btw. :wink:

like i said lucy it,s my view not a attack intended

I think Rob K has borrowed his mates computer :stuck_out_tongue:

But for a serious reply, I was tipping in Birmingham yesterday and this bloke with a brain, who had bought his own truck, his words , not mine :stuck_out_tongue:

His V8 Scania with 8 shiny wheels and a hired triaxle trailer weighed off at almost 18 tonne, my truck weighed off at 13700, we can both carry 26 tonne :smiley:

I was running at 40 tonne on 5

carlbrum:
IANYNG ALL I CAN SEE FROM UR POST ABOUT IS THAT U WANTED EVERYONE TO NO THAT U HAVE NEW DAF,S I SAY SO WHAT I BET THEY COST U THE EARTH AND U WOULD NOT DO IT IF IT WAS NOT WORTH IT MY VIEW

So what if I’ve got new trucks?
Is that what this thread is about? NO!
Comment on something more constructive.

Wheel Nut:
His V8 Scania with 8 shiny wheels and a hired triaxle trailer weighed off at almost 18 tonne, my truck weighed off at 13700, we can both carry 26 tonne :smiley:

I was running at 40 tonne on 5

18 tonne for a trailer and tractor is heavy.
14.5 is an average benchmark for weight.
Yours is light!

so what in general would be the heaviest types of trailer, the purpose built flatbed that can carry anything, a box or a curtain sider? on a slightly different note, theres some twin axle twin wheel trailers in the steelworks, they’re on air, does anyone know what the gvw pulling one of these with a 6x2 would be?

I used to pull a tri-axle computer spec trailer that had the same body type as a fridge. It had a Thermo King heater on the front and a 3.5 tonne capacity, fold away, tail-lift. The pallet carriers on the side were used as equipment lockers. With a Globetrotter XL under it, and before putting anything in the back, I was tipping the scales at a fraction under 20t. Those were the days when I had to be plated at 38t, :imp: :imp: Now I no longer pull it I have been able to down rate to 31t. :smiley: :smiley: Mind you with the trailer I pull now, smaller capacity tail-lift, normal box body and no Thermo King I still weigh off empty at about 17.8t.

Being a lazy bugger, I got bored before I finished reading all that, if he is genuine, and I don’t know if this has already been posted, why not get a DAF ‘mini lift’ fitted, it only weighs about 500kg (approx) it’ll hide behind those oh so attractive skirts, and will allow you to run at 44tonne wherever you are.