4x2

check this persons IP as this post does seem rather far fetched in this day and age of a educated population or the person is suffering from a mental disorder,or he is the latest lottery winner,and in that case i will offer my services to you as you defnitley need a chaperon.

brit pete:
RIKKI UK :: You can carry 44tn on five axles in the BENLUX and if doing
kombi or train work also in GERMANY ,

That is true Pete but you are governed by the plated weight of the vehicle, regardless of which country you are working in. So if a UK vehicle is plated at 40t then it can’t load to 44t in BENELUX, or anywhere else. Apart from anything if you had an accident with a 40t vehicle loaded to 44t then the insurance company could reject your claim, as far as they are concerned you would be overloaded. Insurance rates are worked out on plated weight among other things so this is relevent, when I switched from running at 38t to 31t my premium dropped a lot.

As far as 4x2 on Euro work goes, the majority of UK, and Irish, trucks running over the water are 4x2.

NEIL ,you are allowed to do train work in the UK with 5axles yes and so you can carry 44tns,so you are covered,surely.
we load in belgian to deliver in this country and we load 44tn s and we are not a belgian company,but german,so surely the same applys to the UK
haulier he can carry 44tns in the benlux ,

All I know, from past experience and the experience of colleagues you can load to your plated weight regardless of which country you are in. I have had controls, in various countries, where they have checked the vehicle papers for the plated weight and then checked the CMR’s for the load weight to make sure I haven’t exceeded it.

The main problem would be insurance, my vehicle is plated at 31t and such it is insured as a 31 tonner, if I exceed that weight, have an accident and try to make a claim I am sure the insurance company would use that to avoid paying out. The vehicle papers show a revenue weight of 31,000 Kg gross, I can’t say to the insurance company that although it says that, I want to insure it to 44 tonnes.

brit pete:
NEIL ,you are allowed to do train work in the UK with 5axles yes and so you can carry 44tns,so you are covered,surely.
we load in belgian to deliver in this country and we load 44tn s and we are not a belgian company,but german,so surely the same applys to the UK
haulier he can carry 44tns in the benlux ,

Those three don’t go together for us Brit Pete.
The way the British worked it was to allow 44t running for railhead work on 6 axles. Only if all the load bearing axles are on road-friendly suspension (i.e. air, effectively). This has been extended to allow anyone who wants to and has suitable equipment (i.e. 6 axles, on air) to run at 44t gross. On 5 axles the max gross is 40t, again only on air suspension. If you are running old, steel sprung trailers you are still restricted to 38t however many axles you have (I think).

blimey

I never thought was simple question would start such a debate.

To answer one question yes I have a cpc, so I can have a fleet of trucks under my belt if required.

Basically I am new, and want to get into haulage, and the love of truck driving is another passion. So I picked the daf 4x2 as yes it looked good, but it also qualified for the work I would be dealing in. The setup is me and my brother working from my dads yard firstly with standard box trailers, and two dafs. After that we will see depending on work we can find or offer anyone.

I have not won the lottery, but I have saved and also got a bank loan to pay for the business and to acquire a couple vehicles.

Thats is it, I spoke to my local daf supplier and local agencies, and they tells me there are loads of jobs for 40t in the uk and continent, which is exactly why I bought this vehicle.

so I can have a fleet of trucks under my belt if required

Have you worked out the lowest rate per mile you need to charge to cover your costs?

If you havent done the basic financial planning then I cannot see you mangaing to grow to a fleet :wink: :wink:

Have you already got work/contracts lined up for the box trailers? if not why did you go for box traliers as they restrict the laods available to you

sorry if these seem a lot of questions, but so far your replies to those asked are sketchy to say the least.
I am genuinely worried that you havent thought your business plan through enough,

and even more worried that another operator might be joining the industry with no real idea of how it works, and may further drag our already long suffering image further int the gutter

barreoty:
I spoke to my local daf supplier and local agencies, and they tells me there are loads of jobs for 40t in the uk and continent

Well thats alright then! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

barreoty:
To answer one question yes I have a cpc, so I can have a fleet of trucks under my belt if required.

Sorry I fail to see the relevance here. How does having a CPC mean you can have a fleet of trucks? A CPC is about the last thing required, in fact it is not even a requirement for you to have one.

barreoty:
Basically I am new, and want to get into haulage,

You want to get into haulage so the first thing you do is buy a truck. sorry, that should have come way down the ‘things to Do’ list.

barreoty:
So I picked the daf 4x2 as yes it looked good, but it also qualified for the work I would be dealing in.

I know of no work that only an all singing DAF is qualified to do, why start out with something like that? Buying an over the top truck as a first vehicle is probably the single biggest reason for the failure of new start owner drivers.

barreoty:
The setup is me and my brother working from my dads yard firstly with standard box trailers, and two dafs.

This seems to contradict your statement above about being new and wanting to get into haulage.

barreoty:
After that we will see depending on work we can find or offer anyone.

So you haven’t found work but have bought the truck. You know the old saying about putting the cart before the donkey? Seems to me the modern version of this is putting the truck before the work. :wink: :smiley:

barreoty:
I have not won the lottery, but I have saved and also got a bank loan to pay for the business and to acquire a couple vehicles.

As you have obtained a bank loan, does this mean you have at least put a business plan together?

barreoty:
Thats is it, I spoke to my local daf supplier

Ahh, the local truck supplier, not usually regarded as the best authority on availability of work. Of course I’m sure they wouldn’t say that just to sell a truck…or would they?

barreoty:
and local agencies, and they tells me there are loads of jobs for 40t in the uk and continent, which is exactly why I bought this vehicle.

There most likely is, after all I see hundreds of trucks shipping through Dover each week, but what rates are those ‘loads of jobs’ paying? Most of them are paying nowhere near enough to run that truck you have bought.

Sorry if we seem to be a bit harsh but I think you are in serious need of a reality check.

barreoty:
Thats is it, I spoke to my local daf supplier and local agencies, and they tells me there are loads of jobs for 40t in the uk and continent, which is exactly why I bought this vehicle.

come on chaps this HAS to be a wind up? :open_mouth:

I am hoping it is, I really am.

barreoty:
blimey

do you honestly think the bloke selling you the truck would tell you anything different?
the one thing you’ll learn very quickly with this job is, theres loads of money and work in everything you look at, according to those that want you to work for them, thats until you actually take the work on and realise it’s not quite how they painted it!
if your genuine your not as naive as you’ve come across, that would be impossible, so i wish you the best of luck.

I think you and I need to have a serious chat.

In order to gain clients you will need to go out repping, luckily for you I happen to own an ideal rep car, a 2 litre deisel Vectra.

trust me, with this car you will get loads of contracts for your trucks, it is ideal for you

£10 grand and it is yours… and with it you will be on your way to being Eddie Stobart mk 2

:wink:

sold as seen? :smiley:

paul b:
sold as seen? :smiley:

Yup complete with Vectra side skirts :wink:

barreoty:
blimey

I never thought was simple question would start such a debate.

Basically I am new, and want to get into haulage, and the love of truck driving is another passion. So I picked the daf 4x2 as yes it looked good, but it also qualified for the work I would be dealing in. The setup is me and my brother working from my dads yard firstly with standard box trailers, and two dafs. After that we will see depending on work we can find or offer anyone.

Your dad has a yard, is this a yard as in haulage yard? If your father is running a haulage firm you can’t be as neive as you appear.
I don’t think people are really having a go at you personally, but most here can’t believe that you seem to have done so little research. Maybe it’s your fathers idea of an aprenticeship. Set you up with your own haulage company and see if you sink or swim make mistakes before letting you loose with his company. Makes sense to me only lose one truck and instead of losing the entire company.

I dont know if DAF are diffrent , but when i was looking at units to get which were MAN ,Mercs and finally Volvo( which i brought) they all requested a copy of the O licence ,O centre agreement before any considerations were made on ordering. Before Volvo handed the truck over, they like many have said its very hard for the new start owner driver, but would take the truck back no questions asked , i brought a second hand, so if things do go pear shape not a big loss, but brand new, well theres only one winner there!!

i have just read the post from barreoty and all i see is everyone slaging him maybe this bloke is genuine and all u lot can do is say u brought the wrong truck where,s ur work etc etc i thought we all stood together and give good advice but nothing like this what happened to help and support ladies and gents one unhappy trucknet at the mo :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

carlbrum:
i have just read the post from barreoty and all i see is everyone slaging him maybe this bloke is genuine and all u lot can do is say u brought the wrong truck where,s ur work etc etc i thought we all stood together and give good advice but nothing like this what happened to help and support ladies and gents one unhappy trucknet at the mo :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

I don’t think anyone is trying to have a go, it’s just a case of being realistic.