Info Required on Daf XF 480 4X2

Hi,

Looking at SuperSpace Daf XF 480 4X2, year Plate 54 with approx 450,000K’s, any good/what’s the average fuel like
running at 40ton on European work/any problems with engine&gearbox etc etc.

I have not run Daf’s for many years, so any info would be appreciated.

Regards

JJSL

hi,
if its the one at tipton in my opinion its too dear, theres a really clean 4 x 2 globetrotter on ebay at the minute, big tanks, very nice looking, i just bought a 6 x 2 with big tanks or i would of looked at it…

lrm

What about looking at spankys? Has it got to be a 4x2?

I only use 4X2 tractor units for European, otherwise I would have had a look at his vehicle.

Also, I will have a look at the one on Ebay as well.

Many thanks

JJSL

JJSL, had a 54 plate 4x2 480. Pretty good on fuel, but it suffered from the same head problems most DAF’s do - or did.

It was averaging around 9 for fridge work to and from Spain.

Cheers

We have ran three Daf 4x2’s
a 2001 480
a 2005 480
a 2006 430
All 4x2 superspacecabs and all very good reliable trucks they were all bought new and ran approximatley four years although we are still running
the 2006 at the minute, i have heard alot of people slagging them off and you always take a chance buying second hand motors but in my opinion
they were great trucks the 2005 one which i drove myself never had a spanner on it apart from a set of cab mountings replaced under warrenty
the 2006 mountings are an updated version that have gave no trouble, The 2001 had a new radiator fitted at three years old and the 2006 has just
had a new radiator fitted they do tend to run a little hot and you need to keep an eye on them when running in hot mountainous areas i have heard
of water trouble such as head gaskets and i think there was a head modification available they were also prone to airdryers going making it unable
to release the handbrake but to be honest neither has happened to any of mine touch wood and none of them have ever let us down!!

As for fuel consumption i was averaging anywhere in the 8’s running full weight and sometimes over 10mpg running light with a close coupled 4.1
curtainsider!!

In contrast i have an 2009 V8 Scania which has been broke down six times!!