DAF XF95 530

I am considering the purchase of an XF95 530 Superspace. If any of you guys have any relevant experience, I would be very glad to know. Information on reliability, maintenance/repair costs and fuel consumption particularly welcome.
Thanks[/b]

we have 2 an 05 and an 06 the 05 has had to have new discs on already but they are good on fuel and seam as reliable as anything else these days saying that our 480 which is an 02 has had and centre brearing before xmas and last week the diff went ouch

I’ve read somewhere that they are prone to head gasket problems after about 400.000 ks,and they seem to be very heavy on brake linings and discs.

I used to drive a 530, beleive it was a Kelberg, and that had the head gasket problems, also another job i had there was a bloke who had 3 530s who parked in same yard, they all suffered from the same prob. Shame, cos they were a good motor.

te head start to weep after 2 years too

i look after about 30 of them…they are a pretty bullet proof machine.

as has been said they are weak on the head gaskets roundabout the mileage stated and brake linings are on a par with any thing else i look after.Howver they are a very easy machine to work on so labour costs are reasonable and the parts are very competative too in relation to volvo and scania.

operator feedback is that the 530 is heavy on fuel…the 480 is the better option in my opinion and my customers report they are well on top of the job at 44 tons at 480.if i can help with any other questions just fire away fella…

if i got back into haulage as well the garage i would run them without hesistation.

As AH said they are well on top of the job, but a 480 does a nearly identical job, but with slightly better mpg, im just a drive rmyself, but if i had a Daf i would go for the 480.
So AH, who owns 30 530 Dafs, cos i cant think of anyone with over 4 or 5■■? Please do tell…

kindle530:
So AH, who owns 30 530 Dafs, cos i cant think of anyone with over 4 or 5■■? Please do tell…

AH could be a DAF fitter who looks after vehicles from several different operators? That was how I read his post, especially when he mentions “operator feedback”

sorry mate i dont run them i have a repair workshop in west yorkshire…

on top of an awful lot of other tackle me and the lad look after about 30 daf 480 for different customers with a 50/50 split of them running uk and continent…

incidentally we have never fit a set of heads out of all the head gaskets we’ve done and we do have them checked…infact one in particular we look after the last time we did the head gaskets we had the heads checked and there is a crack in one of the heads thats scary…apparently some spanish guy drilled out the stud hole to such an outragous oversize it cracked the head…operator wont but another one so back on it went with no garauntee from me and it doesnt leak !!!

another weak point seems to be the radiators,they block up

AH:
i look after about 30 of them…they are a pretty bullet proof machine.

as has been said they are weak on the head gaskets roundabout the mileage stated and brake linings are on a par with any thing else i look after.Howver they are a very easy machine to work on so labour costs are reasonable and the parts are very competative too in relation to volvo and scania.

operator feedback is that the 530 is heavy on fuel…the 480 is the better option in my opinion and my customers report they are well on top of the job at 44 tons at 480.if i can help with any other questions just fire away fella…

if i got back into haulage as well the garage i would run them without hesistation.

Thanks a lot AH. My work is mostly 44 tonnes, but down in the South West (lots of hills) and the Welsh valleys (lots of hills). I thought that maybe moving from a 480 up to a 530 may reduce gear changes and therefore fuel consuption.

Thanks for the info though.

alix776:
we have 2 an 05 and an 06 the 05 has had to have new discs on already but they are good on fuel and seam as reliable as anything else these days saying that our 480 which is an 02 has had and centre brearing before xmas and last week the diff went ouch

Thanks for the info.

AH:
sorry mate i dont run them i have a repair workshop in west yorkshire…

on top of an awful lot of other tackle me and the lad look after about 30 daf 480 for different customers with a 50/50 split of them running uk and continent…

incidentally we have never fit a set of heads out of all the head gaskets we’ve done and we do have them checked…infact one in particular we look after the last time we did the head gaskets we had the heads checked and there is a crack in one of the heads thats scary…apparently some spanish guy drilled out the stud hole to such an outragous oversize it cracked the head…operator wont but another one so back on it went with no garauntee from me and it doesnt leak !!!

another weak point seems to be the radiators,they block up

I assume the XF and CF discs are the same, if so, have you any tips on changing the discs without damaging the hubs? My CF’s 5 year old 666000ks and been contact maintained from new, but now it’s down to me :angry: , and I can’t afford a new hub with every disc :laughing:

The brake discs are the same and if you are careful you can separate the disc from the hub. The trick is to hammer the heads of the bolts before you try to undo them this losens the threads. you can also get sockets from snapon for dammaged bolts (which they always are) i have fitted discs to around 2 dozen daf cfs and have not dammaged a hub yet, touch wood

turbo ted:
The brake discs are the same and if you are careful you can separate the disc from the hub. The trick is to hammer the heads of the bolts before you try to undo them this losens the threads. you can also get sockets from snapon for dammaged bolts (which they always are) i have fitted discs to around 2 dozen daf cfs and have not dammaged a hub yet, touch wood

:laughing: Can you tell Chatfields, a mate of mine put an angle grinder through the disc, when the studs got damaged :wink: