4x2 6x2 Question

Hi all, forgive the newbie question.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that France have agreed 4x2 can gross at 44t now but in UK it’s still 40t or 44t on a 6x2. Is this still the case.

Just that when I’ve been reading about new daf xf there only doing it in 4x2 and a lighter axle is available to gross at 44t in UK.

Does a 4x2 drive different to a 6x2 ?

Thanks

Yes it does, UK 6x2 is 44t, max a 4x2 in the UK should do is 40t-zb the French we’re in blighty… :exclamation: :smiley:

dentonkarl:
Hi all, forgive the newbie question.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that France have agreed 4x2 can gross at 44t now but in UK it’s still 40t or 44t on a 6x2. Is this still the case.

Just that when I’ve been reading about new daf xf there only doing it in 4x2 and a lighter axle is available to gross at 44t in UK.

Does a 4x2 drive different to a 6x2 ?

Thanks

You know those silly looking little mid-lift axles you sometimes see with the tiny wheels? That’s what DAF are talking about. The axle only has to carry 4 tonnes, so it can be that small and still carry the weight. I’ve never used one and hope I never have to, I’ve never heard anything good about them. To gross 44t in The UK you need to be on six axles, obviously the easiest way is a 6X2 unit with a tri-axle trailer (there are other stipulations but for the purpose of axle configurations, this is the most common).

I think France is going to 44t on six axles, but I’m sure there’s a few regulations that I don’t know about regarding their use in France.

A 4X2 drives very differently from a 6X2, especially a in tag (rear-lift) or a non-steering second axle configuration. Personally I’m not a fan, 4X2 units should be the norm in my opinion, not least for the fact that they drive so much nicer!

I’ve never liked driving a 4x2 solo as I find a 6x2 a better ride when solo… :confused:

DAF95XF:
I’ve never liked driving a 4x2 solo as I find a 6x2 a better ride when solo… :confused:

Solo. Does that stand for Squadering our Lolly out ?

Sorry… Was an owner driver and hated running solo , far better pulling a tanker with our 6x2

DAF95XF:

Yeah … but I suppose even a 4 x 2 must be better than driving a 3 X 2 :slight_smile:

What I’ve never understood is why a UK haulage firm who doesnt travel out the UK would buy a 4x2 as isnt the tax a lot more and then you have the weight disadvantage as well?

Pansie Division:
What I’ve never understood is why a UK haulage firm who doesnt travel out the UK would buy a 4x2

You’ve kind of just answered yourself here, most UK haulage firms are run by clowns…

Fair enough :stuck_out_tongue:

The other thing is why a big engined 4x2 you can find ten a penny, but try find a 6x2 with more than 480 is like rocking horse ■■■■

I have always preferred 4x2 and yes I usually run out of the UK.If a 6x2 was a brill idea,Europe would have adpoted the idea…they didn’t they also don’t have too much of a hang up
about axle weights and strangely their road network is far superior to ours so perhaps the road damage argument falls flat.As for the cost difference a 4x2 should give better fuel
returns,less rolling resistance,lighter unit,cheaper to buy,2 tyres less and having owned both the 4x2 is preferable in wintry conditions and how many companies actually run at 44t
today,it’s all down to avoiding axle prosecutions…been there…got the T shirt.

Yep, France is 44 tonne on 4x2 now unless I’m mistaken. You’d still need the 4x2 to be plated at 44 tonne I would assume before you could run at that in France.

SS I think it’s actually 45t compensation for the introduction of an environment tax some time soon.

France is only running 4x2 for a limited time as the law changed not so long ago and giving there haulers time to change

Thanks for your replies. So for example the new volvo fh. If a company bought that on a 4x2 with a light trailer curtainsider what would rough weight be it could carry? 25tonne?

Pansie Division:
What I’ve never understood is why a UK haulage firm who doesnt travel out the UK would buy a 4x2 as isnt the tax a lot more and then you have the weight disadvantage as well?

I never quite got that either, you seemed to be loosing payload for not a lot of gain, unless the tax is hugely cheaper?

Personally, I’d be having a 6x2 tag every time.

I honestly don’t think the argument for 6X2’s adds up, not for environmental reasons anyway. When you factor in the extra energy used to manufacture the components, the increase in fuel consumption that the vehicle will always bear whether loaded to 44t or not, the extra tyres, (and increased wear rate of those tyres) the extra components to replace when they wear, the extra complexity and time and energy spent servicing and repairing them just doesn’t make sense to me.

Don’t get me wrong I’m not saying I agree with it, but in this country we need a 6x2 to run at 44t so for our market it isn’t worth buying a 4x2 over a 6x2 endless its for a dedicated role.