Renault Magnum

I don’t really like Renault Magnums, but they do seem to be very cheap to buy (presumably because others don’t like them either)

Here’s a pretty good looking one at £25,000.

ebay.co.uk/itm/RENAULT-MAGNU … 860wt_1344

But I’m always interested in learning something about anything, so what are the operational problems likely to be encountered with something like this?

the main one would be forgetting were the steps are and landing flat on your arse in front of a bunch of hysterical drivers :laughing:

Harry,having read all the posts asking about different trucks,I have to say------just go to the Scanny dealer!! You know you want to!!

Nearly bought one last time around have always wondered what they’re like to run. Do always seem cheap. Always seems a lot of movement in the cabs when they pull up so wonder if cab mounts/bags/shocks suffer.

Hate the mirrors in particular look seventies.

Certainly appears well looked after but all that chequer plate would be a pain if something needed fixing. Not thats a reason to buy or not.

Skippy70:
Harry,having read all the posts asking about different trucks,I have to say------just go to the Scanny dealer!! You know you want to!!

No, I don’t like Scanias. Nothing wrong with them, and I know they are well-built etc but I have just never got on with them.

At the moment, it looks like a Daf XF105 Super Space Cab is the favourite.

Harry Monk:

Skippy70:

No, I don’t like Scanias. Nothing wrong with them, and I know they are well-built etc but I have just never got on with them.

At the moment, it looks like a Daf XF105 Super Space Cab is the favourite.

What’s wrong with them is they cost tens of thousand more based on trucking folklore of improved reliability and strong residuals. You definitely get more when you sell but relative cos you paid more and the reliability is much harder to pin down.

Whatever make of truck braking will be Wabco/Knorr Bremse etc and those parts don’t just not break cos there’s whatever badge on the grill.

Thr Daf sounds like a good choice.

That one used to come in our yard a lot until about 18 months ago, always clean & polished, well looked after by the driver, dont know about the mechanical side of things though

Own Account Driver:
What’s wrong with them is they cost tens of thousand more based on trucking folklore of improved reliability and strong residuals. You definitely get more when you sell but relative cos you paid more and the reliability is much harder to pin down.

I do think there’s a fair bit of “badge snobbery” around. There was a time when Volvo and Scania were far better trucks that anything else on the road but I would say that the gap has narrowed massively since those days, and there is no such thing as a bad truck any more.

Today’s Magnum is basically a Volvo with a much better cab, not a lot wrong with that combination :wink:

The older ones with Mack engines pulled like trains and were very good on fuel, electrics could be problematic, but that’s Volvo for you :open_mouth:

As for the mirrors, the Magnum has very good mirrors, hardly any shake as they’re so close to the cab and with all that glass blind spots are almost eliminated :wink:

Good truck.

ps. stay away from those TGA’s,they’re dirt :smiley:

Drove a magnum 6 x 2 for a year on containers, N reg with the tacho at the side of the dash, semi automatic bit crap on down changes going up hill, but otherwise loved it, loads of room, fridge, was good at night when parked up you could just fling the door open stand on the step and have a tinkle, never fell off and never forgot that the steps were to the rear of the front wheel.
Cabs do move about alot but you get used to it after you have had to mop up a few cups of tea and makes for a steadier smoother ride, would drive another one. Never broke down in the time I had it. I remember a driver saying to me at Southampton docks in his FL “is it cold up there?”, the only other downfall is that you couldnt see into the cars that pass you on the motorway to see the skirt as they were to high :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I’ve driven quite a few. Only major problem I’ve had was a turbo fail on a 5 year old 54 reg 440 whilst climbing the gottard in Swiss.
The 500’s pull very well and the auto is great (all Volvo).
As a driver, I always liked the amount of room, the electric blinds instead of curtains and a decent fridge as standard. Dislike was only really that for all the room there is not a lot of storage space.
A lot of truck for the money.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk

Getting in or out with coffee in one hand takes practice.
Solid truck very good value for money.
Think euro 4 from oct 2006 with volvo motor and box.
Been running an 04 for the last two years without major problem to date.
Cab level valve can cause problems on older trucks.

Already own a Magnum,have done for 6 years now,860,000k’s and downtime has been almost negative.Comfy,famous cab,great gearbox,excellent braking and fuel consumption anywhere between 8 and 9 pulling a fridge.Dare I repeat…owned at one time all the rest…Maggie is head and shoulders above ALL others.Buy and Enjoy.

Some very positive reviews there, thanks fellers. I’ve only ever driven one very briefly and it felt a bit awkward but perhaps it’s a case of getting used to them… if that one wasn’t so far away I might have had a look at it. Still undecided at the mo.

ive got one very under rated truck have to be the volvo combnination
got a 08 plate 500 euro 5 auto fuel good pulls like a train and under 30k about 20k cheaper than scania similar

Driver came out of a scania says comfortable to drive pulls well 3 months in and no problems whatsoever #
only problem lack of storage space but a good cheap lorry
Plus if you can get volvo euro 5 ealry ones you get the rpc so £500 off road tax a year aswell
just got to renew it at mot every year

'I’ve been running one for 3yrs now its an 08 plate ex demonstrator ,its the one with the new taller cab.
Touch wood its been trouble free, the biggest job as been changing the drive belts and tensioner.But that’s it.I would recommend one I love it and they stand out from the rest !

and you will find al;ot of parts cheaper at volvo than renault
including filters

I was always sceptical about the maggie too Harry. But then I worked briefly for an owner driver and drove his one. It was 8 years old, looked a state but drove like a dream. I was disappointed to get in my own premium I can tell you. A late one with volvo running gear would be a serious contender if I was starting up myself

I’ve just passed this wagon at scotch corner on the A1.
He was heading southbound.
Looks a decent motor

Sent from my iPad but adjusted even more to ■■■■ winseer off.