The last new UK Magnums have gone into service

With a Portsmouth operator

truckingtopics.co.uk/lastukmagnum.html

Well, did you love it or hate it?

They always seem to sell quickly as a used truck, but few people wanted a new one.

Any ideas why?

worst truck ever built !

I always thought then renault magnum was a unique truck, But in these stringent times, was it at all fuel efficient? I drive a Space Cab daf 105, and that has all the air streamline effect of a brick on wheels… I cant see the Magnum as being anything different, but then again I never drove one to tell. It did look mighty cool though when Top Gear used one for their trucking feature a few years back.

I remember seeing Magnum prototypes in the very early 80’s driving along the A45 on a regular basis, nobody knew what they were because they had no badges, being top secret at the time, but they were so impressive for the era.

It was a real leap forward in truck design when launched.

kr79:
It was a real leap down when launched.

Fixed that for you :smiley:

Now then,now then,now then you young lad’s.I have over the years bought and owned top of the range Scania’s and Mercedes amd as the twilight years approached I bought a Magnum,an ex
demonstrator and ran it for 7 years and cleared a million K’s with few faults.It has been a great lorry,head and shoulders above the others I have owned.Now has it gone ?,well in France Routes
last week they featured 6 new Renaults,5 white and 1 red and you might be as surprised as I was…they bore no resemblance in my opinion to what was actually launched in that awful colour.
The blurb read some thing along the lines of R.I.P.Magnum…long live the Magnum and if you looked closely apart from a bits and pieces making up the bumper area the rest of the cab looked
just like a Magnum.But that is my opinion of the old and new and I will respect your right to differ probably best we wait until a rig actually arrives on these shores.Even the new Volvo looks
a ■■■■ sight better with a good paint job.

Manfreight are about to take delivery of the last one in N.I it was getting it PDI check on Monday and then will be off to the paintshop

i had a new N reg AE385 Magnum had it until a new X reg 440 both were reliable back and forth to Italy, Spain or Slovakia every week can only remember 1 break down when the alternator failed on the 440 in Germany and having to wait 2 days for a replacement at the old West East boarder.
in its day was the best truck in Europe with the hand brake on!!

Armagedon:
Now then,now then,now then you young lad’s.I have over the years bought and owned top of the range Scania’s and Mercedes amd as the twilight years approached I bought a Magnum,an ex
demonstrator and ran it for 7 years and cleared a million K’s with few faults.It has been a great lorry,head and shoulders above the others I have owned.Now has it gone ?,well in France Routes
last week they featured 6 new Renaults,5 white and 1 red and you might be as surprised as I was…they bore no resemblance in my opinion to what was actually launched in that awful colour.
The blurb read some thing along the lines of R.I.P.Magnum…long live the Magnum and if you looked closely apart from a bits and pieces making up the bumper area the rest of the cab looked
just like a Magnum.But that is my opinion of the old and new and I will respect your right to differ probably best we wait until a rig actually arrives on these shores.Even the new Volvo looks
a ■■■■ sight better with a good paint job.

As an aside: I wonder why they chose that colour. I know it was metallic Bronze Green, but on the printed page it looked like algae and rust.

When they launched the original Premium it was in Norbert Red: looked good in printed pictures and was ready for the biggest customer.

What were they thinking of this time around?

I must be behind on the news, but what it replacing it?

This

truckingtopics.co.uk/renaulteuro6truc.html

You have to ignore the colour

TTX boy:
worst truck ever built !

Have to agree there!

I’ve never driven a Magnum but can remember my first real encounter with one. I was accompanying my dad to Spain in 1993 at the age of 9 and while reloading in Barcelona for the UK, a Spanish registered brand new Magnum backed on to the bay next to us. Obviously I was more than interested in this towering monster of a vehicle and the driver asked us if we wanted to have a look inside. I can clearly remember sitting in the passenger seat and looking over the top of our C reg Iveco Turbo! They don’t seem so large inside now but back then it was like a mansion. Mind you, back when I was 9 an Iveco Turbo or Turbostar didn’t seem small, but now I look back in wonder that me and my dad both managed to fit in the things for weeks on end.