Renault Magnum

Hi all,I have often wondered looking at todays trucks why the Renault Magnum is not more popular with Uk haulage firms.Is it the price?Or are they of suspect reliability,or the victim of parts availability? I think they are quite mean looking dudes,and I would like to drive one.What are they like to drive?Thanks,

Glenn, :sunglasses:

Probably because itā€™s a Renault, they might look smart but basicaly Renault trucks are and always have been rubish, just as Mack are here (same company)

Itā€™s not Renaultā€™s build quality because its no worse or better than anything else built in Europe. Renault have always carry the tag of ā€œcrap motorā€ because of what they used to produce like the major and midliner.

The Magnum is on the increase in the UK, you canā€™t get a second hand one without paying well above its market value. Last year they sold 200 new but the switch to RHD means limited cab options.

Itā€™s one of only three flat floor motors on the market, along with the Mercedes Benz Megaspace and Daf 95XF. They have more internal height but less width and depth to relax in.

Canā€™t speak for American Mack versions cos iā€™ve never seen one up close, but traditional American T-cab motors Iā€™ve have driven struggle to match trucks built in the UK in 1980s.

i`ve driven both the 430 and the 440 and they pull like trains, very good for long distance workā€¦ however, your arms need to be 15ft long to change gear into 1st/ 5th and the grab rails either side of the cab get filthy quickly. :sunglasses:

I was under the impression that magnums where only available as 4x2ā€™s and to get a 6x2 needed a special conversion and this was why they werenā€™t that popular in the UK.

They are the worse truck I have ever driven for getting in & out of, other than that I love them.

Drove one last October, Once I got the hang of the gearbox :blush: :blush: :blush: I loved it, dont think I could sleep in the top bunk though without getting a nose bleed as the driving seats high enough for me :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Must say I was impressed with the space inside though :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

If you ask me they look like a fishtank on wheels. If your going for looks I think it has to be the new actros. Inside I would have a Daf xf.

I thought the Volvo FH Globey also came with a flat floor?

I used to have a MAN TGA 410,and that had a virtual flat floor also,apart from a lip about 2"-3" high.

Ken.

Donā€™t know the answer to the question, but I had many varied trucks when driving for a living, but never a magnum. Now i have got one as a toy, itā€™s the most imposing vehicle i have ever set foot in, pulls like a train (admittedly running basically empty :blush: ), gearchange is sweet once itā€™s warm (sticky when cold), reliable enough for my needs, & very very comfortable. 124 scania & Fh Volvo have nothing on this for ride quality & mines 12 years old.

Maybe one of the reasons theyā€™re not so popular is because of the weight, they do come in a bit on the heavy side.

Brilliant motor. I had a 430 from new for 3 years here in France and could not fault it on pulling power or comfort. Fully freighted it used to laugh at hills. Plenty of storage and living room. Great clima (aircon) and heater (night & day) but 2 moans

1. That Renault/ZF gearbox I first saw on a Merc in the 80s. Banging back and forth in neutral to change range, a definite no-no. After a weeks holiday it took 2 weeks to recover from the tennis elbow and dislocated shoulder!

2. Mirrors too far out from the side of the cab not giving a proper perspective. I broke my nearside one on a roadsign and the boss replaced it with a Premium mirror from stock. Thought he was punishing me though Iā€™ll bet but it was a vast improvement being tight in. Got a bit dirty though. Should have seen his face when I asked him for one on my side too! Glad he didnā€™t though, wouldnā€™t have worked because of the door pillar in the way.

They got a bad reputation because of the old Saviem-derived cabs. I hired a (nearly) new one in the eighties and had to send it straight back because the fuel tank almost fell off, the chassis strap being well corroded. We used to joke that you got a Renault free if you bought the anorak :laughing:

Salut, David.

Great if you want a good view of the road ahead, but if you suffer from motion sickness forget the Magnum!
And climbing into one after a few pints at J29 is darned dangerousā€¦:wink:

Mirrors too far out from the side of the cab not giving a proper perspective

& i thought it was me !!!

when i reverse down our driveway at home (only unit) i tend to go off on one & the 2 views from the mirrors seems to fight each other !

Need to modify i think :laughing:

And i thought they watered down the beer at J29
Ha ha