Adblue alternatives

Hi all, sorry, I know this has been covered before but I’ve just had a right funny look off my transport manager when I asked him what he wants me to put in the adblue tank - adblue or water?? He’s a very experienced driver but not been on the road for a while no due to ill health (although he rides a firestorm into work every day). Now I’ve had a 54 plate DAF since I started and that has no adblue tank, we also have an old Volvo with a tank but we don’t use it at all but I’ve just been handed the keys to a new(ish) merc. A 12 plate. Now, has adblue changed in the last 3 years or so and can I still just add water to the tank to save money? I’m under the impression it sprays the fumes after it’s been burnt in the engine and no water will get in. It’s just pig ■■■■ right?? The TM said it will cut the engine to half power and f up the ecu and God knows what else… Really?? Thought please.

sw1ller:
Hi all, sorry, I know this has been covered before but I’ve just had a right funny look off my transport manager when I asked him what he wants me to put in the adblue tank - adblue or water?? He’s a very experienced driver but not been on the road for a while no due to ill health (although he rides a firestorm into work every day). Now I’ve had a 54 plate DAF since I started and that has no adblue tank, we also have an old Volvo with a tank but we don’t use it at all but I’ve just been handed the keys to a new(ish) merc. A 12 plate. Now, has adblue changed in the last 3 years or so and can I still just add water to the tank to save money? I’m under the impression it sprays the fumes after it’s been burnt in the engine and no water will get in. It’s just pig ■■■■ right?? The TM said it will cut the engine to half power and f up the ecu and God knows what else… Really?? Thought please.

Get some water banged in ,see what happens,go on i dare you :laughing: :laughing:

seth 70:

sw1ller:

Get some water banged in ,see what happens,go on i dare you :laughing: :laughing:

Now you have to decide on which answer you get to this thread is the genuine one.
Is this answer just saying go for it, water will do fine or is Seth saying you’ll bugger the engine, masked with smiley emotes :stuck_out_tongue:
Decisions, decisions…
Good luck on your choice :wink:

And here is a serious answer just in case:

Think about how likely it is that manufacturers could get away with insisting that hauliers put a chemical in that tank (it has nothing to do with pigs ■■■■, or any other urine - it’s urea) when they could just use water.

Santa:

Think about how likely it is that manufacturers could get away with insisting that hauliers put a chemical in that tank (it has nothing to do with pigs ■■■■, or any other urine - it’s urea) when they could just use water.

Yeah, I agree but in all fairness, big companies will tell you anything to get you to buy stuff! I don’t beleive anything anymore! Ha

But fair enough, I’m not keen on the new wagon anyway, it’s got no guts, the steering wheel isn’t straight and the drop axel doesn’t steer so you drive straight on in tight yards! Bit of a pain so I might just try the water and see what happens

Double dare you :unamused: WTF is going on over there ?

Put derv in it like the eastern euro do:grin:

sw1ller:

Santa:

Yeah, I agree but in all fairness, big companies will tell you anything to get you to buy stuff! I don’t beleive anything anymore! Ha

But fair enough, I’m not keen on the new wagon anyway, it’s got no guts, the steering wheel isn’t straight and the drop axel doesn’t steer so you drive straight on in tight yards! Bit of a pain so I might just try the water and see what happens

Thats the right attitude fella ,get some banged in if you dont like the motor,while your at it put some toilet paper in the diesel tank see what that does :unamused: :unamused: :open_mouth:

Another perfect example of a thick ■■■■ driver.

Left hand down!:
Another perfect example of a thick [zb] driver.

Now you’ve gone and spoiled all the fun. He’s not being thick, he doesn’t know stuff. Keeping 'em guessing is the game. For the record you will know when you’ve run out of Adblue cos you do run out of power as well. Google is a friend, but I learned through doing it. “You won’t have to worry about fuel and Adblue, there’s plenty in there for what you’re going to do today.” I told myself. I don’t listen to myself anymore. You probably shouldn’t either…

Are you paying for the adblue? If not what’s the problem.

Every truck that I have driven with a non steering lift axle has a function to lift the axle when manoeuvering when loaded. I would suggest that you use it, your tyres will suffer otherwise.

Sumsmeister:

Left hand down!:

Now you’ve gone and spoiled all the fun. He’s not being thick, he doesn’t know stuff. Keeping 'em guessing is the game. For the record you will know when you’ve run out of Adblue cos you do run out of power as well. Google is a friend, but I learned through doing it. “You won’t have to worry about fuel and Adblue, there’s plenty in there for what you’re going to do today.” I told myself. I don’t listen to myself anymore. You probably shouldn’t either…

No, sorry. He’s a thick ■■■■■ Anyone talking about putting water in just is.

Left hand down!:

Sumsmeister:

Left hand down!:

No, sorry. He’s a thick [zb]. Anyone talking about putting water in just is.

Not really, most older truck would take water with no ill effect.

EURO 4 motors didn’t derate because they didn’t have NOX sensors ,They derate came in for EURO5 along with the NOX sensors …EURO6 is even more fun ,as there is 3 stages of derate if I remember correctly…If they vehicle is not repaired correctly ,ie fault I just cleared …When the fault reoccurs ,you don’t go through the 3 stages of derate ,it will automatically go straight to the stage it was at when the fault was last active

seth 70:

sw1ller:

he’s chicken :laughing: :laughing:

Is any of this covered in a CPC course? If not - it should be.

You say your transport manager. So it is obviously not your truck, so put the proper stuff in, if your T.M said dont use diesel put petrol in cause its 4-5p a ltr cheaper,would you!

sw1ller:

12 plate will only work on full strengh ad blue, watered down ad blue will shut down the power and and result in a expensive repair. how do i know this? thats correct i did this on a 13 plate daf and cost the firm over 2 grand in fixing it

Santa:
Is any of this covered in a CPC course?

Come on now, you didnt really expect useful information and training to be present on a DCPC course did you??

“Just ■■■■ in the adblue tank!”

Just thought I’d get in there before this one crops up, this doesn’t work either.